Photo

Cutting The Bbb On The Longshot

10 replies to this topic

#1 maverick x

maverick x

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 07:21 PM

i have cut the bbb spring 3 loops down but it still won't stay cocked. it is about the same length as a tech target at the moment, what should i do?

Edited by maverick x, 14 September 2006 - 11:06 PM.

#2 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 07:34 PM

Well I'm not answering your question until your post is atleast readable.
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#3 Lancaster

Lancaster

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 08:06 PM

i is about teh same length as a tech target.

Wow, you're not very long then. How do you go up stairs?

#4 funkyjake

funkyjake

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 11:24 PM

You know, it doesn't have to be a cut down BBB spring that you use. People mention that exact thing so much I get the impression that there are tons of kids running out and dropping twenty bucks on a BBB at Target just to cannibalize the spring. Lots of springs work, just keep an eye out. Plus, all those other springs probably don't cost a tenth of what the BBB would run you.

#5 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 12:18 AM

Only 3 possible causes to your problem
1) You added the spring and it's too long for the plunger to advance far enough back to engage the trigger plate completely.
2) You need to replace the spring on the trigger plate so that it can hold the extra tension when the plunger is primed
3) You didn't reassemble the gun properly

I'm not using a BBB spring, but I still have to replace the trigger plate spring and make sure I cut my additional spring to the right length.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 13 September 2006 - 12:19 AM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#6 tcorr911

tcorr911

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 07:51 AM

What spring are you using Captainslug?
Bolt, ye are truly a god among men. Ye have earned yeself a place on Enigma's list of heroes, right below Sean Connery and directly above Papa Smurf...a highly honorable slot indeed.
-Enigma1313

#7 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:23 AM

I used a trimmed section of this: http://www.bravocomp.....g carbine.htm

Edited by CaptainSlug, 13 September 2006 - 11:03 AM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#8 General Cole

General Cole

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 09:06 AM

A full BBB + LS spring will work, you didn't reassemble right.
We should stop calling out/making fun of/pissing GC off. He's actually contributed and is available for trade. He's a better than average member no doubt. Got your back Cole.
-Nerfer34

You know what... I know it's kinda late... but Props Cole.
-Baghead

#9 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  • State:Virginia

Posted 13 September 2006 - 04:00 PM

An LS with a full-length 3B spring and the stock spring will not work, not for me. I reassembled mine perfectly and it wouldn't catch. It depends on the gun apparently.
SexD Warves

#10 General Cole

General Cole

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 06:53 PM

No it is just really hard to cock, amazingly hard to cock, now all I need is some barrell material and I am set. The trick about the BBB + LS is that if it doesn't lock in place initially pull back harder again, should take you one or two shots, but it will work.
We should stop calling out/making fun of/pissing GC off. He's actually contributed and is available for trade. He's a better than average member no doubt. Got your back Cole.
-Nerfer34

You know what... I know it's kinda late... but Props Cole.
-Baghead

#11 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 10:09 PM

Brute force is not a good solution to this problem. If you cannot easily prime the gun with your additional spring installed you need to either lengthen the plunger rod by replacing the plunger head, or you need to trim your spring a little.

The limit on how much you can lengthen the plunger rod is affected by the ability of the catch on the rear of the plunger still being able to depress the bolt-lock when the plunger is in the forward position. Thankfully the dart-lock isn't too dimensionally strict so the tolerance on the plunger rod length is around 3/16".

Replacing the plunger head in both of my guns made a HUGE difference in the reliability of the weapon cycling. And as a notable secondary benefit I also got a much better plunger seal.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 13 September 2006 - 10:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users