Brass And Petg Questions

What ID is perfect for Stock Micros?

11 replies to this topic

#1 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 06:23 PM

CPVC is too tight for my darts, Crayolas are a pain in the ass, and PVC doesn't work very well either, so I decided I needed to get some Brass, Petg, or something else that is good for stock darts/CDT's. I've checked at Lowes, HomeDepot, ACE, and many hobby stores, only to find that no store within a 2 hour drive of my house carries Brass or Petg tubing.

I'm going to order some online, but that presents a major problem: I have no Idea what ID/OD to buy, and I don't know where to get it. I need some info from some people that have experience with this before I spend my money. I've seen all kind of sizes of brass used on the forums, and I think 9/16 or 17/32 might work, but I'm not sure.

So here's my question: What type/size of pipe is good for stock darts? And where online can I get it? I have searched McMaster-Carr, and I only found Petg sheeting, and brass pipe in only a few limited sizes.

I also researched Pex tubing, but I only found rolls of curved tubing that doesn't look like it is suitable for darts.

It is very difficult for me to break 60 feet with most guns because of my lack of resources, and I really appreciate any help.

Probably dead by now, or something.

#2 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 06:34 PM

17/32" brass fits stock darts perfectly.
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#3 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 06:39 PM

Perfectly for Spring or Air guns? I will be using it for spring guns mostly.

Forgot to ask- Does 17/32 nest nicely in 1/2" PVC, or do I need to get another size, to put in between the two?

Edited by AssassinNF, 03 September 2006 - 06:48 PM.

#4 Lancaster

Lancaster

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 07:20 PM

I use 9/16ths and it fits all of my darts pretty well.

On my BBB I nested 9/16ths in 1/2" scheldule 40 PVC by wrapping a single layer of e-tape around the entireity of the brass. It fits perfectly, no drilling or glue. Also, it looks pretty cool.

#5 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 07:45 PM

I use 9/16 brass, and it fits pretty well with my stefans. But it is a little loose on my converted stocks. I don't know what guns your using it for, but if you have a long barrel I'd suggest 9/16 with 17/32 nested in the back to hold the dart in and keep it airtight. For smaller barreled guns I would go with 17/32.

Hope this helps.
Edit: No, I don't think 17/32 will nest in 1/2 in. PVC. I have 9/16 nested in 1/2 in. PVC, and I had to wrap some E tape around it so it would fit in there nicely.

Edited by Retiate, 03 September 2006 - 07:47 PM.

#6 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 09:01 PM

17/32" brass works well for pretty much all Stock darts, no matter what kind of gun they are on. I, as well as many others, nest 17/32" in 1/2" sch. 80 pvc, it has a smaller ID than normal PVC and is gray colored.
To find out what to use for your stefans I suggest bring some with you to the store your buying brass from.

#7 General Cole

General Cole

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 05:08 PM

Depend on the foam of your darts.
We should stop calling out/making fun of/pissing GC off. He's actually contributed and is available for trade. He's a better than average member no doubt. Got your back Cole.
-Nerfer34

You know what... I know it's kinda late... but Props Cole.
-Baghead

#8 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 06:58 PM

To find out what to use for your stefans I suggest bring some with you to the store your buying brass from.

The whole point of this thread is for me to find out what I need to buy ONLINE, because there are no stores near me that sell brass, so I can't just take my darts to the store, unless you can tell me a way to teleport through the internet. :P

Thanks for the help, everyone, and thanks to Dart Attack for the helpful PM's. What I got out of all that is I need to get 17/32, and possibly some 9/16 for longer barrels, and that I'm gonna need a shitload of e-tape to nest 17/32 in PVC, but it'll probably work. I just need to know where I can get some 17/32 or 9/16 brass online. Dart Attack suggested K&S Brass, and I am about to check that out.

Depend on the foam of your darts.

None of that shit please. I said Stock darts/CDT's, not stefans. No flaming intended, just please read the original post a little better. :blink:

#9 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 07:19 PM

Sorry, mis-read the post.
Get 17/32" brass, you could nest it PETG, which if you get the right size can be used with CPVC couplers and such. You might also want to get some 1/2" brass for springers. Also if you can find some Sch.80, I highly recommend getting some. 17/32" fits perfectly inside; also the ID of it is the same as 9/16", so you don't need to get any of that.
PEX works as a barrel material, but it may still be a little tight for you.

Edited by sam, 05 September 2006 - 07:25 PM.

#10 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 09:21 PM

19/32" brass nests perfectly in Schd 40 PVC. You could either make a three layer piece to make it fit (17/32" - 9/116" - 19/32"), wrap it in some e-tape, or crimp the 19/32 (with a pipe cutter) so it fits 17/32" snugly.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#11 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 09:49 PM

That gets a bit epensive, though.

Wrapping e-tape around brass isn't a challenge; no need to go out and buy a crapload of brass that you'll never use again.

For both springers and air guns get 17/32". For springers, add a small stub of 1/2" brass in the back. That is ALL you'll need. Don't bother with anything else.

9/16" isn't going to help you out with longer barrels. Just extend the PVC beyond the brass for a longer barrel. It won't make a noticeable difference in accuracy, and the range will be better than if there was 9/16" over it, because there's a greater chance of the darts contacting the walls, causing drag.

This is the simplest way to do it, and it is extremely effective when using stock dart foam. The 17/32" will be your main barrel material (with Sch 40 or 80 PVC over it for protection and couplers, etc.) plus a stub of 1/2" at the back for springers. That's all there is to it. This is the setup I have on absolutely every gun I use. The only darts I ever fire are Dart Tag Stefans that I have made. It works every time, with incredible results.
----------||||||||)
QUOTE(Ilùvatar @ 0000) View Post
Of the theme that I have declared to you, I will now that ye make in harmony together a Great Music.

#12 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 10:03 PM

That gets a bit epensive, though.

It costs a bit more to use 17/32" with 19/32" brass to fit in schd 40, but for a breech application, the results are great. e-tape is a good spacer, but I don't like it if the part needs to be in motion; it'll wear and gum up, eventually. 19/32" in schd 40 slides great, and won't wear out. It's what I do for my breech barrels.

In the end, it all depends on the application, and what fits your foam.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users