Photo

Magstrike Modification.

2 clips? 3 clips? or 2 hard hitting clips? Your choice.

162 replies to this topic

#51 InkJet

InkJet

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 12:07 AM

Great mod, I thought that there must have been some ways to make my magstrike better. I've got it open and I couldn't find any of those vinyl plugs, so I just hot glued it all the way through, making sure to get a strong seal, and instead of the plastic hose clamps, I'm going to use a metal one like you used. Now, I have to dremel the plastic off. My dad presented a good point, in that if the plastic is gone, the bladder expands more, there's more pressure, more of a chance to blow. If this thing went too much pressure and blew, does anyone know how energetic this would be? I know most plastic tanks in other air guns just crack or make a hole, but this is a 3/16" thick "balloon". I'm just worried cause i have this propped up against my shoulder.

I'm probably going to do it anyway, but i'm just wondering if any of you know what would happen.

#52 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 01:30 AM

P.S. Consider this another request for a final vid.

I will try my best to make a video by the end of the weekend. I am going out to buy a 100' tape measure tomorrow.

(1) I couldn't find any of those vinyl plugs, so I just hot glued it all the way through, making sure to get a strong seal,

(2) Now, I have to dremel the plastic off.

(3) My dad presented a good point, in that if the plastic is gone, the bladder expands more, there's more pressure, more of a chance to blow. If this thing went too much pressure and blew, does anyone know how energetic this would be? I know most plastic tanks in other air guns just crack or make a hole, but this is a 3/16" thick "balloon". I'm just worried cause i have this propped up against my shoulder.

I'm probably going to do it anyway, but i'm just wondering if any of you know what would happen.

1 I hope you didn't pour hot glue inside the rubber and then add a hose clamp. I don't see this working very well. As hot glue is semi pliable.

2 What plastic are talking about dremeling off?

3. The rubber is encased inside a plastic shell. I can see one of a few things will happen if the gun is overpumped.

A: The rubber will explode inside the plastic shell. (No damage to you)

B: The plastic shell will crack due to the growing bladder (No damage to you)

C: The plug with the metal hoseclamp around it will come loose. This has happenned to me at around 50 pumps before I added the Plumbers goop. After adding the plumbers goop I pumped it 58 times and a leak came in the same spot. I then gave up on the PVC plug and went back to the original plug that was inside it and plumbers gooped that in, then added felt craft sheet around the tube and then added the hoseclamp.
I plugged the Over pressre release valve with a combination of plastic rod and hot glue.

Here is a pic of a RF20 bladded I pumped over 80 times. I did this as a test to see what the bladder could handle. 80 pumps! Thats almost 4 times The amount it was designed for. It held up fine and kept holding for about 30 minutes before I let the air out. For the record that white bucket is 10" high.
Posted Image

Edited by Forsaken_angel24, 08 October 2006 - 01:32 AM.

I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#53 bigbob

bigbob

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 02:12 AM

Please tell me you were wearing safety goggles when you pumped that bladder up. It looks as though it would have popped the plastic casing arround it in the RF20 long before reaching that level. Also, when you released the air from it, do you know how many shots it got off? It looks insanely large at 80 pumps.

#54 InkJet

InkJet

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 12:32 PM

Ok, thanks a lot. I meant that i took the overpressure valve, removed the green safety thing in the hole, then poured hot glue in there. I meant i poured in plenty into the plastic plug to get a good seal.

I was talking about the plastic inside the casing that is meant to keep the bladder from expanding to a certain point, that you dremeled off, sanded, and put electric tape on.

But what you said about the bladder exploding is a good point, my dad just told me how one time when he went to the ER, the guy waiting next to him had been filling up a fire extinguisher, and it had exploded next to him. Basically most of his hand was torn off, even though the thousands of PSI inside a thick metal container is quite different from the 50 or so PSI inside the rubber bladder. Still makes me paranoid, but that reassured me quite a bit. Thanks again, also, i'd like to see the video.

#55 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 12:56 PM

The material of the bladder itself is rated to 500PSI. The Nylon fittings however are rated to 150PSI. The stock pump can only fill the stock bladder to about 60PSI.
The points of failure involved are the end caps of the bladder not being secure, or using a hose clamp without padding, causing it to cut into the bladder.

Simply filling the stock end cap with hot glue, which no reinforcing plastic inside, will not be able to contain the pressure. The hot glue will be forced out of the hole if that's all that is used to plug the gap where the over-pressure valve used to be.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#56 InkJet

InkJet

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 04:47 PM

Well, I cut out the plastic and E-taped it to make it soft, added the rubber bands, glued the hole, and plugged the release valve. When i say i plugged it, i didn't just put a little bead of glue inside the hole, i filled the whole nylon plug about halfway up with glue, unless for some reason it can still extrude it out of the hole, I'd say I'm safe. I'm so happy that i can finally use both clips in one tank of air. The range has increased a little, but still isnt' too impressive. Some brass barrel inserts should do the trick though. Thanks again Angel

#57 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 05:04 PM

Well it seems like the hoseclamp is just not going to work. During my range test today I got less than satisfactory results. 60 feet only! Man was I pissed. My seal on the Hoseclamp blew completely. The two range tests I did were with normal taggers and CDTD's. I got 50 with the normal taggers and low 60's with converted taggers. I figure the hoseclamps and PVC plug blew again. It looks like I am going to have to go back to the stock plastic binding with the screws in it for a good seal. I figure the ranges are much lower than expected due to air escaping/pressure releasing the whole shabang. I will now have to open her up again and do some changes. I will post the new results ASAP.

Well it seems like the hoseclamp is just not going to work. During my range test today I got less than satisfactory results. 60 feet only! Man was I pissed. My seal on the Hoseclamp blew completely. The two range tests I did were with normal taggers and CDTD's. I got 50 with the normal taggers and low 60's with converted taggers. I figure the hoseclamps and PVC plug blew again. It looks like I am going to have to go back to the stock plastic binding with the screws in it for a good seal. I figure the ranges are much lower than expected due to air escaping/pressure releasing the whole shabang. I will now have to open her up again and do some changes. I will post the new results ASAP.

I did make a couple videos but due to the great shame of the air leaking and range lost I will not post anything this weekend.
I know its bad,
After what we had,

#58 funkyjake

funkyjake

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 05:42 PM

So where plugging the overpressure release valve is concerned, the general consensus is that you should leave the original bit in there and plug it up somehow, as opposed to putting in a pvc plug and hoseclamping it?

And just when I bought the damn things...

Edit: So I'm thinking about just proceeding with the pvc plug and hose clamp method just so I can try it out myself. Will any sort of epoxy do for securing the plug in place?

Double edit: so I cracked open my magstrike and gave the endcap on the bladder a nice long consideration. I came to a decision and simply sanded down the green bit so it doesn't stick out. This way there's no actual mechanism for releasing air, but I get to keep the original and dependable endcap. I think it's a pretty good plan.

Edited by funkyjake, 09 October 2006 - 02:58 AM.

#59 koolsteve

koolsteve

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 05:43 PM

I just noticed this gun looks similar to a plasma rifle from halo 2, just look at it and youll see what i mean. Not onnly that but they actually come in blue, the normal plasma rifle, and red, the brute plasma rifle. Interesting.

#60 AODL

AODL

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 04:12 PM

Will the write-up have to be altered because the hoseclamp isn't woking out?

I don't really undestand why General Cole is making articles of clothing with my name on it. First it frightened me, but after a few hours I got over it. It seems obvious that General Cole is hoping to have sex with me.

#61 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 08:55 PM

It will. Sanding down the Green tip is good enough for now. I have parts coming in the mail a modified write up is on the way.
I know its bad,
After what we had,

#62 funkyjake

funkyjake

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 08:51 PM

Sanding down the Green tip is good enough for now.

Is there any reason it wouldn't be? Like, is your concern that it's overly large, and takes away precious room from the bladder? Because, at least so far as my magstrike is concerned, sanding down the green tip seems to have yielded great results: no air release, it stays on there perfectly, and it's incredibly easy to do.

#63 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 10:34 PM

Sanding down the Green tip is good enough for now.

Is there any reason it wouldn't be? Like, is your concern that it's overly large, and takes away precious room from the bladder? Because, at least so far as my magstrike is concerned, sanding down the green tip seems to have yielded great results: no air release, it stays on there perfectly, and it's incredibly easy to do.

That is one of my concerns.

The other concern is that the O-ring beneath that green tip might not be able to handle the higher pressure that will be put into the bladder.
I know its bad,
After what we had,

#64 Cthulhu

Cthulhu

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 10:21 PM

Just sand down the green nub and give it a healthy coating of a quck dry epoxy

General Cole: I have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

Ha ha ha... I also feel that way quite frequently :D

Edited by Cthulhu, 16 October 2006 - 10:23 PM.

QUOTE(WratH @ Sep 5 2006, 02:45 PM) View Post

Whats with you idiots and all these ancient god names? Call it FuckingPecan or something.

Mmmmmm.... Pie

#65 Lancaster

Lancaster

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 08:39 PM

I just watched the 3 clip video, I "loled" my head off. Good work.

#66 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 09:22 PM

Well I was having a problem with air leaking from the bladder plug. THE 3/4" PLUG DOES NOT WORK!
I cannot stress that enough. Don't waste your time. I plugged the hole on the end of the white cap where the OP release valve was. I used 1 Constant tenstion spring on each side. The size was 15/16" I should have gone with 1" constant tension springs but I ordered the wrong ones. I also now have a jubilee clip on each side. I also took out the white half tube peices that made a dome for the bladder to expand in. The gun can now hold 60 pumps for half an hour and still be able to fire of 2 clips with no leakage. Pics coming soon.

EDIT: I currently own a ton of these Constant tension springs. I will sell them 4 for a dollar. You only need two but the other two are there just incase you screw up. The inside of the Constant tension springs need to be dremeled down a bit but with enough force and will power they go on. I didnt sand mine down that much so with more sanding less force is needed to get them onto the tube.

The order is this. Sand down the Constant tension spring then put it on the rubber. Then sand down your stock plug and lube it up with plumbers goop and then jam it in there while squezzing the constant tension springs open. Now add a jubille clip just before or after the constant tension spring. Dont forget to put E-tape down before the Jubille clip.

If you are interested in 4 constant tension springs for a dollar let me know. The shipping will be about $2.75
So $3.75 Total for the 4 Constant tension springs shipped.
Pm me if interested.

Edited by Forsaken_angel24, 14 November 2006 - 04:46 AM.

I know its bad,
After what we had,

#67 Cthulhu

Cthulhu

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 01:52 PM

I have also had some problems with keeping the seal on my magstrike but have not yet had the time to open it back up. In the meantime I just keep it primed and replace the air that is leaking out.

Whats with you idiots and all these ancient god names? Call it FuckingPecan or something.

Mmmmmm.... Pie

#68 General Cole

General Cole

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 05:57 PM

I don't know why you guys didn't stay with the plugs. I tightened mine down to no end and they still work, no matter how many times I pump them, as long as I stay below 45. I had one blow off, but I just reattached it on tighter, you just have to put the hose clamp on farther into the bladder, thats all.
We should stop calling out/making fun of/pissing GC off. He's actually contributed and is available for trade. He's a better than average member no doubt. Got your back Cole.
-Nerfer34

You know what... I know it's kinda late... but Props Cole.
-Baghead

#69 Cthulhu

Cthulhu

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 06:19 PM

General Cole: By plug you mean the white peice with the green nub?

I did leave it on but also braced it with a Jubilee clip.

Mmmmmm.... Pie

#70 General Cole

General Cole

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 07:09 PM

No I mean Angel's original mod.
We should stop calling out/making fun of/pissing GC off. He's actually contributed and is available for trade. He's a better than average member no doubt. Got your back Cole.
-Nerfer34

You know what... I know it's kinda late... but Props Cole.
-Baghead

#71 godzillasoaker65

godzillasoaker65

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 05:07 PM

I'm not really sure how these constant pressure springs work or what they are. Some time after I clean up i'm going to be geting out my Magstrike (which has had the same problem as Angels), and i'm going to try using a 1 inch PVC plug. I just don't like the idea of having the original plug in there, because it will take up a little more space, and using a bigger PVC plug seems like a good idea to me. The main reason i'm thinking of doing this is because the origanal one is bigger than 3/4 PVC plugs, and seems like it could hold itself in for a while without that clamp on it. I'll post back if I accomplish anything.

Zilla65

#72 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 09:42 PM

Good luck on that one. I tried that already. I couldnt find a way to get the plug into the rubber. It was like trying to mate a male dog with a female hamster.
I know its bad,
After what we had,

#73 godzillasoaker65

godzillasoaker65

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 10:31 AM

Yeah I didn't have much luck. -_- I got it in but it's pretty much impossible to get it in with plumbers gloop. What I tried now was puting a new 3/4 PVC plug without those two ridges cut off, with plumbers gloop. This time when I put on the hose clamp I used plumbers gloop to keep the Electric tape on, because the problem I was having was the hose clamp was attaching more to the tape than to the bladder, so it was sliding off a little bit every time the bladder expanded, so after about 3 full primes it would leak. I also tighted the hose clamp so the rubber actually pushes down so the rubber is puting alot of pressure on the plug, but I can't explain it, I just tightened it tighter. Also for a little extra help to keep it in I put I big glome of plumbers gloop at the top.

Another idea I had lately was what if you kept the safety feature in but cut away the bottom of the clip, replaced it with a wooden block, that made the clip shorter in the back, so after you fired the 10 shots the safety feature would kick in and you wouldn't lose any shots. I can't try this because I've lost the parts to the safety feature, but it seems like it would work well

I'll post back at 8 because i'm leting the plumbers gloop dry.

Zilla65

EDIT: I finally tried it out and when I was pumping it I was counting. 56, 57, 58, POP! So I opened the gun and to my surprise I see the bladder expanded so much that the poping noise was actually that white case around the bladder shatering. You don't know how releived I was when that happened. Then I took off the white part completely, sanded down excess crap left from that (such as where you screwed it in), put everything back together and so far i've primed it 15 times, let it held for 5 minutes and there hasn't been any movement of the hose clamp. Now here is the good part. I can get 4 clips off now!!!!!!! The bad part is that if you put tape on the sides of the clip it takes more power to push the clip up, so if you use a taped one last (or my powerclip clip) it will stay down and you will just let air out. I'm going to try and adjust my tape so I can get the last one to work with tape. If I can get someone with a camera to record it i'll post a video.

Zilla65

Edited by godzillasoaker65, 10 December 2006 - 10:21 AM.

#74 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:11 PM

I hate to revive an old thread, but considering this is the best magstrike modification write-up to date I would like to point out something I discovered while modifying the magstrikes I just got on clearance.

A brutally simple way to plug the over pressure release on the bladder is to take the green peg and spring out, then re insert them the wrong way around from the inside of the plug after applying epoxy sealant to it (any kind really). This has worked extremely well and was very easy to do. I also plugged the pump and can now pump up to 40 times. I could probably pump more, but my arms aren't willing today because I got a vaccine shot in each shoulder.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 30 March 2007 - 09:26 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#75 mini

mini

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 01:45 AM

sorry for replying to and old post. But has anyone tried or considered replacing the bladder with 5/8 id rubber tuber the McMaster sells? part #8637K171 its a couple inches longer then the stock one and looks like it would be easy to swap out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users