Photo

Magstrike Modification.

2 clips? 3 clips? or 2 hard hitting clips? Your choice.

162 replies to this topic

#1 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 10:55 PM

Alright so when I got my first magstrike I was upset because it was the wrong color. When I exchanged it and got my second one I was pissed because it was defective. When I got my third one I was happy because it worked.

This modification will improve range and shots per max pump and some additional mods as well.
So lets get started.

Open up your magstrike by removing all of the screws and prying off that little green nub at the base of the gun near the pump. Take a screw driver to the nub and pry underneath. Stick it in and wiggle, then work your way around the edge around the whole green thing. It should pry off eventually, If it is not give it some more elbow grease.
The internals:
Posted Image

Now there will be this tiny little hole where air escapes in the front winged white peice. Plug it up with hot glue so it looks like the latter picture. Make sure the hot glue does not create a mound on the inside because I think it will hinder the guns performance.
Posted Image

Now unscrew the white cover covering the bladder. Then unscrew the the four screws on the end that hold the bladder snug against the gun. Then remove the bladder from the gun. Now that the bladder is out of harms way it is time to do some cutting. You are now going to cut/sand away the upper and lower guide nubs/lines. These things will get in the way off your soon to be bigger bladder. Cut them and sand them down so they are nice and smooth like in the following picture. Make sure you do this to both shells. I left the one nub there for the rubber to have something to press against.
Posted Image
Looks alot bigger now huh? This will give the bladder room to expand outward.

Now that your bladder has more room its time to take care of that pesky over pressure release valve on the bladders end.
Posted Image
Remove all the screws Then strip all the plastic away untill only rubber remains. Now take a 3/4" PVC plug and cut it down so instead of having 4 ribs it only has 2.
Posted Image
Make sure the plastic on the plug is smooth and wont puncture the bladder since it will be inflating and deflating so much. Now is the part where you cover the ribs of the 3/4" PVC plug with plumbers goop jam it in the rubber, then cover the top with a thin layer of plumbers goop for some added strength. Wait for this to dry 24-48 hours. Then wrap the end where the nub is in E-tape. This will protect the bladder.
Posted Image

Now add your jubilee clip or hose clamp over the E-tape. Make sure it is on there good. Now take the other end of the bladder and reattach it to the gun. Make sure the screws are in tight but dont twist too hard you could tear the plastic threadings inside the nub. Screw in that white cover peice we took off earlier and that part is now finished. It should now look like this overall.
Posted Image

Now lets fix those clips. We all hate how we can't single fire without the clip sliding back to its start position.
Nerf really needs to fix this. But instead of waiting for them, AssassinNF fixed it for us. Thanks to him I decided to put E-tape starting from under the belt clip all the way down to below the clip. It took me 5-6 layers of e-tape but I got it. here is what it should look like.
Posted Image

Now we punch out the air restrictors on the back of the clips. This can be done by pushing down with a screwdriver on the back of the clips where the "X" is. Here is a pic of a clip before and after AR removal.
Posted Image
Now the clip is stefan compatible.

This next mod is here if you want to take out the safety feature. The safety feature wont allow you to shoot the gun unless there is a clip in the gun. I left mine in but here is how you can take yours out. Simply unscrew the two screws on that green cover that sits above the trigger. The screws have been circled.
Posted Image
Then take out the 2 green peices underneath. One is long and has a spring on it and the other is short and has a spring on it. Replace the green cover and your safety feature is gone.

This gun is so much more fun to own now. With 45 pumps I can get about 25 shots off in full auto.
I can get 22 single shots off for single fire. at 45 pumps.
45 sounds like alot but the case can handle it. It used to only take 25 to pump it and now it can take 45 I havent tried pumping it more out of fear of breakage.

The stefan clip hit the wall 42 feet away around stomach level.
The Dart tag clip hit the wall 42 feet away around shin level.
No official ranges yet but its something to give you guys an idea.
Firing two clips. Magstrike firing two clips!

What do you guys think?
Comments,suggestions,flames,praises,ideas are all welcome.

EDIT: Upon further inspection of the video I think if I was careful on the trigger pull I may be able to squeeze off three clips. Also edited in more content.

2ND EDIT: The PVC Plug does not work. Your best best is just to sand down the OP valve button untill it is flush with the white peice. I wouldn't pump it over 45 times though.

Edited by Forsaken_angel24, 13 November 2006 - 09:26 PM.

I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#2 Black Blade

Black Blade

• Members
  • 541 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 12:04 AM

That looks really good nice video and thank you I really needed this write-up.

#3 MavericK96

MavericK96

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 03:42 AM

Pretty nice ROF on that thing now.

Good music in the video, too. :)

#4 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 08:25 AM

Nice mod! I think I'll be doing this! I just want to get two clips off, so what part of the mod should I do? Do I need to do the hose clamp and bladder thing to make it get off 2 clips?

Thanks!
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#5 General Cole

General Cole

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 09:25 AM

You need to put in how to remove that safety switch so that you can pull the trigger anytime, I did I am just to lazy to describe how to do it.
We should stop calling out/making fun of/pissing GC off. He's actually contributed and is available for trade. He's a better than average member no doubt. Got your back Cole.
-Nerfer34

You know what... I know it's kinda late... but Props Cole.
-Baghead

#6 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 11:43 AM

Black Blade: Your welcome.

MaverickK96: Thank you.

Nerfer 34: Yes you need to do the bladder and hoseclamp mod for it to fire off two clips. You will also need to cut down the insides of the shell in the bladder casing.

General Cole: Consider it done.

I took a side by side picture of the magstrike bladder to the RF20 bladder and look at the difference.
Posted Image
This may seem like an optical illusion of sorts but I am convinced the MS bladder is naturally thicker.
I know its bad,
After what we had,

#7 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 01:07 PM

Remove all the screws Then strip all the plastic away untill only rubber remains. Now take a 3/4" Vinyl tubing plug and cut it down so instead of having 4 ribs it only has 2. Make sure the plastic on the plug is smooth and wont puncture the bladder since it will be inflating and deflating so much. Now you can muscle it in ther or you can use a quick evaporating lubricant that is rubber safe. I used this stuff called clear guide found at Rona or Home depot. Then wrap the end where the nub is in E-tape. This will protect the bladder.

Ok, I'm a little confused on this part here. Can you reword it a little? So you have to by 3/4 vinyl tubing right? And what do you mean by 4 "ribs"

Also where can you buy hoseclamps, Homedepot? What size? How do they work? Cost?

Thanks
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#8 King Of Butt Land

King Of Butt Land

• Banned
  • 324 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 04:00 PM

I love you Forsaken Angel. Seriously. Awesome mod. I have gots to get me one of them magstrikes.

-Butt
QUOTE(Puppy-§layer @ Dec 18 2008, 04:22 AM) View Post

This contest may have some flaws, as people can simply be a deuschbag over the internet. By Lying.

A war-like setting/invitational would be better...

#9 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 04:01 PM

Now lets fix those clips. We all hate how we can't single fire without the clip sliding back to its start position.
Nerf really needs to fix this. But instead of waiting for them, AssassinNF fixed it for us. Thanks to him I decided to put E-tape starting from under the belt clip all the way down to below the clip. It took me 5-6 layers of e-tape but I got it. here is what it should look like.
Posted Image

Thanks for the credit. Great job on this mod, I might actually open up my magstrike now.

Probably dead by now, or something.

#10 trogdor65

trogdor65

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 05:15 PM

Great mod makes me wonder if I could do some of the same things to my powerclip, could I?

#11 blinkycc13

blinkycc13

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 05:36 PM

Ahhh Ready to fall by Rise Against. Good stuff.

I never quite realized how fast that thing fires. The rof is amazing!
Nice job with the write up, hopefuly kirby puts it in the directory (has anyone seen him around lately?)
QUOTE(Dark Shrimp @ Nov 10 2006, 11:06 PM) View Post

This is called a screwdriver it is used to unscrew or screw in screws.

#12 NiteWalker

NiteWalker

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 06:06 PM

Nope, Kirby isn't the directory runner anymore... Angel is! I guess its most definitely gonna be in the directory eh? Well, awesome mod! I might need to open my magstrike again...
NEW Write-up of the DTG/At3k:
Click here
Credit to Carrtoon for the mod.

"The mother of invention is need... Who doesn't have to pelt people with foam?"

#13 trogdor65

trogdor65

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 08:18 PM

A Question for Magstrike/Powerclip owners:

Is the magstrike clip compatible with the powerclip clip?

I've been wondering this for awhile I would guess that it isn't but I would hope so.

#14 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 09:12 PM

Nerfer34: I added a picture to the original post that would help explain the plug I am talking about. It is 3/4" and is usually found around the vinyl tubing sections at hardware stores. A hoseclamp/jubilee clip is like a plastic zip tie but metal. You tighten it by screwdriver. These things can get really tight and dont slip so thats why I chose to use it. The size of hose clamp was 3/4" I think. I used my dremel to cut off any excess metal.

Trogdor: You cannot do the same thing to a powerclip because the space where the bladder is doesnt allow for much expansion length and width wise. I think this is why the powerclips screwheads are known for breaking off due to the stress of the bladder expanding right up against the shell putting pressure on the screws. If you were able to find a way to have the bladder protrude from the gun sideways then it can be done but it will be hideous.
I know someone on these boards was able to convert a PC clip to work in a magstrike but it needed some special sanding. I dont think the Magstrike clips fit inside powerclip due to the belt clip. I don't have a clip modded powerclip to test this out on so I am not 100% sure.

Nitewalker: I added it to the directory minutes after posting it. :)

Edited by Forsaken_angel24, 30 August 2006 - 09:13 PM.

I know its bad,
After what we had,

#15 murakumo32

murakumo32

• Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 12:32 AM

Whoops, I forgot to open up my MS and figure out how to make it better...damn you, you beat me to it ^_^ . Oh well, less work for me I guess.

And that mask is freakin' scary.
Nerfing, now fortified with vitamin C!
-or-
100% Nerf, for 100% pwnage.

Nerf is a neutral weapons dealer. Anyone coughing up the dough can get armed.

and they're made of Foam... which makes them very Nerfy...

#16 Hiro

Hiro

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 01:43 PM

can you use a plastic ziptie instead of a jubilee clip?

#17 funkyjake

funkyjake

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 02:54 PM

Wow, I had really high hopes for this gun and then heard so many blegh reviews, but you really seem to have redeemed it, Angel. Nice write up, good pictures, and you may just have convinced to me to shell out some cash for the damn thing. ^_^

P.S. Murakumo is right, that thing is atrocious. Sweet.

#18 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 05:51 PM

Thanks man!

I'll get working on this AFTER I finish my Angels BBB...

YOur mods really encourage me try them on my own!

#19 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 10:52 PM

Hello everyone, this is my first post. :D Ive been looking at this site for a while, and I decided I had to register.
Anyways, that is a really, really nice Magstrike mod. I have one, but I couldn't find anyone who modded it real well. My gun doesn't have that problem where the clip falls back down. However, it does take about 45 pumps until the overpressure valve kicks in.

#20 Catgod

Catgod

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 03:50 PM

Thanks. This worked very well, however I found several improvements which I would like to share.

1. You can cover that hole on the white part with scotch tape.
2. You don't have to cut out the plastic around the bladder... The plastic does nothing.
3. You don't have to put in wierd endcaps into the bladded, just pull out the green thing from the valve and plug the valve with hot glue and then reassemle it, since the gun already came with a crappy plastic clamp thing, which works well enough.

And lastly, a barrel mod I devised that costs about 10¢ total and improves performance ridiculously.

Okay, so buying and installing 20 pieces of brass is totally not feasible. I resorted to post-its and duct tape instead.

Posted Image
heres my post-it and dart

Posted Image
roll dart in post-it snugly

Posted Image
like this

Posted Image
duct tape the post-it to itself so it stays in a cylinder

Posted Image
force the barrel into the magazine slot, if it's not a very snug fit, than put more duct tape on the outside, otherwise the barrel could shoot out attached to the dart.

Posted Image
here is a finished magazine mod.

So with all of his mods and my magazine mod it gets like the range of a modded nitefinder plus single shot capabilities and the ability to go to 50 pumps, so you can fire 2 magazines without pumping. I love it.

#21 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 07:12 PM

Thanks. This worked very well, however I found several improvements which I would like to share.

1. You can cover that hole on the white part with scotch tape.
2. You don't have to cut out the plastic around the bladder... The plastic does nothing.
3. You don't have to put in wierd endcaps into the bladded, just pull out the green thing from the valve and plug the valve with hot glue and then reassemle it, since the gun already came with a crappy plastic clamp thing, which works well enough.

1. True but I don't trust sctoch tape as much as I trust hot glue.
2. You DO have to cut away the plastic around the bladder. If you do do not, your bladder wont have the extra room to expand. The inflated bladder will then be pressing up against the semi-sharp plastic ridges which will cause the rubber to tear over-time.
3. Not a bad idea but I was worried that the hot glue wasnt going to be strong enough because the hole that needs filling was rather large. I can see the hot glue nub that you made popping out over time. This is why I didn't take that chance. If you were able to stick in a peice of wood like a dowel nub and epoxy it in there it would be better. The other reason I put in the plug is so the bladder would be able to expand even more because the plastic nub takes up more space that could be used for better things like further expansion.

The clip idea with paper is a good idea but I dont trust paper. It just doesnt say "Long term" like how brass or cpvc does.

Hiro: No you cannot use a plastic ziptie it just isnt strong enough.

Funkyjake: Glad you liked the mod and the mask. It would be great if nerf would be giving me commission on all sales created from this mod. But there is no way of tracking that.

Nerfer34: Glad to see I am making an impact around here. It inspires me as well to know that others are making there own versions of my creations.

Retiate: Welcome to the Haven! Be good and follow the COC and you'll stick around. 45 pumps sounds like way too much. It would seem that the O-ring in your pump is too small and needs to be expanded,relubed etc.

I was having some problems with the PVC plug popping out after being pumped for about 6 minutes but I have found a solution. This will be posted later this weekend.
I know its bad,
After what we had,

#22 Catgod

Catgod

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 12:34 PM

Yeah I don't trust paper either but if one of them breaks it's not hard to replace :P

#23 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 03:26 PM

Heh, yeah, I will definatly be sticking to the COC.
And, do you know the size of O-ring I should get for the pump? Should it be a little thicker than the stock O-ring? Should I get two?

Edited by Retiate, 03 September 2006 - 03:27 PM.

#24 General Cole

General Cole

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 07:41 PM

Okay, here are the specs for people with CPVC and a Lathe. The pipe needs to be 53 MM long and the wall should be .357 mm on each side. Thanks for listening.
We should stop calling out/making fun of/pissing GC off. He's actually contributed and is available for trade. He's a better than average member no doubt. Got your back Cole.
-Nerfer34

You know what... I know it's kinda late... but Props Cole.
-Baghead

#25 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:50 PM

Ok, now I have a big problem. After about 10 minutes of hammering and prying I finally got that green thing off of the gun. Now, how do I get to the O-ring on the pump shaft?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users