The airtank now takes double the amount of pumps

6 replies to this topic

#1 Sir Nathaniel

Sir Nathaniel

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 02:15 PM

Ok, here's the scoop:

I have owned this RF20 since the year it came out, it was heavily used for several summers, except last summer when the trigger broke. A few weeks ago, I finally replaced the trigger with fiberglass which works wonderfully, but then I find that the gun now needs 40 pumps rather than the 20 that it took for the past few years. Just now, I pumped it up 40 times, and let it sit for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, I shot it off, all darts went out, so this must mean that it doesnt leak, but the airtank has weakened.

The question is what should I do? would putting an innertube over the airtank help bring down the number of times this gun needs to be pumped? Any ideas anyone?

Thanks for reading this.

#2 meiser5

meiser5

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 02:22 PM

Open it up and lube the o-ring, it is probably dryed out.

Meiser---:) Riding out Tropical Storm Ernesto...

Edited by meiser5, 29 August 2006 - 02:24 PM.

Account Suspension Notification

[DYE]Terminator[gen],
Your member account at NerfHaven has been temporarily suspended because I don't like you. Shindig doesn't like you either. You watch yourself, we're wanted men. I have the death sentence on 12 systems.
Talio---

#3 Sir Nathaniel

Sir Nathaniel

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 02:29 PM

Open it up and lube the o-ring, it is probably dryed out.

Meiser---:) Riding out Tropical Storm Ernesto...

I apologize, I'm not entirely tool-literate. I don't really understand this "lube the o-ring", sorry. I don't really get what you are trying to tell me to do. If you could please describe in detail, that would be great. Thanks!

#4 meiser5

meiser5

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 02:45 PM

Basically you are going to unscrew the gun and open the gun up. then you are going to take the pump and lift it out of where it is mounted. There should be a grey end-cap holding the pump handle and shaft together. Pry it apart and pull the shaft completely out of the tube.(Wow, that did not sound right... :blink: )At the end of that shaft will be a little rubber ring. You are basically going to take lots of lube and put it all over the o-ring ant the inside of the shaft then put everything back together.
I really hope this helps somewhat...

Meiser--- :) Riding out Tropical Storm Ernesto...
Account Suspension Notification

[DYE]Terminator[gen],
Your member account at NerfHaven has been temporarily suspended because I don't like you. Shindig doesn't like you either. You watch yourself, we're wanted men. I have the death sentence on 12 systems.
Talio---

#5 TheVeg

TheVeg

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 02:52 PM

Yes, the o-ring is the problem. My friend gave me his rapid fire 20 to fix and I narrowed it down to the plunger. Lubricant may or may not help, you may need to go to a hardware store to get a new one. However, I fixed my friends by replacing the entire pump with one from a broken powerclip, and it works wonderfully now.

Good luck,

KLM, a.k.a. TheVeg
Vegetarians into Nerf results in n00bs being shot with carrots.

Captain KLM, founder, modder and dartsmith of the Michigan Nerf Mafia.

#6 Sir Nathaniel

Sir Nathaniel

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 03:01 PM

Ah ha! So the pluger at the end of the pump handle is most likely the problem, rather than the rubber air tank then? Great, This should be pathetically easy then. Thanks Guys!!

#7 Sir Nathaniel

Sir Nathaniel

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 09:53 PM

I tried it, tested it, and it worked! 18-20 pumps will now get the job done!! Thank you so much guys!!! Now I outta go blast some moron's balls off...

Edited by Sir Nathaniel, 30 August 2006 - 09:54 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users