Modded Razr V3 And V3x

Having phone with phone software

1 reply to this topic

#1 boltsniper

boltsniper

• Contributors
  • 591 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 11:09 PM

I`ve had a RAZR for almost a year now and it has always bugged me that so many damn people have them. It is a great phone. Very capable, very nice looking and is still one of the smallest you can get. A while back I started playing around with modding the firmware on the phone. It is not too hard and there is plenty of information out there about it. My RAZR started out as a black RAZR from Cingular. I liked the black but I thought blue would look good too. I installed a blue outer housing while retaining the black interior housing. I like the look of the blue on black contrast and I really like the shade of blue. I replaced the keypad with the V3i keypad which has blue division lines to add some more blue to the phone.

Posted Image

Thats it as far as appearance goes. As I got it the phone was branded for cingular as they all are. This kind of annoyed me cause there were some things you could not do due to the branding of the firmware. I reflashed the phone with the latest unbranded flash from Motorola which enabled all features and actually made the phone operate a little faster.

You have full access to all the files on the phone and by editting seems in the firmware you can enable/disable features and change most everything about the software. I installed my own skin and wallpapers.

Posted Image

I also changed the extrenal LCD image to a Ferrari logo instead of the Cingular guy

Posted Image

I was able to delete a bunch of the tones and images that are already on the phone to free up some room to put my own stuff on there. I made a bunch of ringtones from songs and dumped em on there instead of paying $3 a piece for em...

Last week I bought a V3x off ebay. The V3x is the latest available encarnation of the RAZR line. It is slightly larger than the normal RAZR but this is because of the fact that it is 3G capable. It's still a small phone and is absolutely packed with features. It has a 2MP camera which is insane. The screen resolution is phenomenal at 320x240.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I bought a virgin sim card for 10 bucks and programmed it to my account so I could use both phones. They both have the same number and both ring if I get a call. Kinda cool. As soon as I got the V3x I flashed it to the current formware release. When I got the phone it was branded to O2 which was annoying. The phone is 3G capable but there is no 3G service in Richmond unfortunately. The closest city with 3G coverage is DC. I might end up living up there anyway so that wil be nice. Right now the phone is operating at 2.5G. I stuck a 1 gig micro SD card in the phone and filled it with music. The phone has stereo speakers that put out surprisingly loud and clear sound. I editted the gain table to make em even louder. Now I can`t ever keep it at the highest volume cuase its that loud... But its not distorted, just loud. Pretty amazing.

Just thought I`d share. Its quite fun diving into the code of the phone software and editing to create desired effects. Most all motorola phones can be treated the same and highly modded.

#2 Gamefreak

Gamefreak

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 12:07 AM

Very, Very cool. I've been planning on trying my hand on it with my SLVR L7, but I've been having some troubles with the P2K drivers. Though I haven't been trying very hard, mostly because I've been being a little wussy over voiding my warrenty. Anyway.

Superb job, once again.

Peace out, John.

Edited by Gamefreak, 30 August 2006 - 12:08 AM.

Gamertag : Corpseoftheyear

QUOTE(substance abuse)
No offense but soldat has to be the worst game ever made
Like anyone could even know that, GOSH.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users