Mech Tommy 20 Air Zone Blaster By Buzz Bee Toys

Nevermind, this post was made before I searched on this site, after go

25 replies to this topic

#1 Sir Nathaniel

Sir Nathaniel

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 11:20 PM

this gun is a 20-shot automatic that does not require pumping, it is battery operated. does anyone know if this gun is actually as powerful as the rf20, magstrike, or pc? if it is this gun is probably the best automatic yet. if any one has info regarding it, please respond. thanks!

follow the link for a pic of this gun:
http://www.buzzbeeto.../04750_700.html

Edited by Sir Nathaniel, 24 August 2006 - 09:49 AM.

#2 badger

badger

The Walking Nerf-wiki

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 07:38 AM

this gun is a 20-shot automatic that does not require pumping, it is battery operated. does anyone know if this gun is actually as powerful as the rf20, magstrike, or pc? if it is this gun is probably the best automatic yet. if any one has info regarding it, please respond. thanks!

The gun is complete garbage, just like every other motorized gun made by Buzz-Bee. It barely shoots 20 feet and the only mod I saw involved cracking it open and placing inside it 2 different store bought motors, but that also involved changing the power supply and altering the casing of the gun to encompass the larger motors. AFter he was done, the darts flew about 40 feet, but if he didn't squeeze the trigger fully on each shot, the motors would rip the tip off of the darts. I bought one solely for my collection, but it is staying in the box. No need to open it.

My advice to you, don't bother.

Also, have you read the Code of Conduct? Your post looks alot better than others I've seen from new users, but you need to watch your capitalization. The first post you submitted looked just fine, but you need to be consistent here.

One other thing, there were topics that talked about this gun in the past. Use the search feature before you enter a new topic that has already been discussed elsewhere. I'm just looking out for you, the new guy, as a courtesy. :blink:
As Carbon once said,

"The moment you can no longer see the fun in running around like a little child is the moment you begin to die."

Roses are FF0000
Violets are 0000FF

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US

#3 Sir Nathaniel

Sir Nathaniel

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 09:37 AM

The gun is complete garbage, just like every other motorized gun made by Buzz-Bee. It barely shoots 20 feet and the only mod I saw involved cracking it open and placing inside it 2 different store bought motors, but that also involved changing the power supply and altering the casing of the gun to encompass the larger motors. AFter he was done, the darts flew about 40 feet, but if he didn't squeeze the trigger fully on each shot, the motors would rip the tip off of the darts. I bought one solely for my collection, but it is staying in the box. No need to open it.

My advice to you, don't bother.

Also, have you read the Code of Conduct? Your post looks alot better than others I've seen from new users, but you need to watch your capitalization. The first post you submitted looked just fine, but you need to be consistent here.

One other thing, there were topics that talked about this gun in the past. Use the search feature before you enter a new topic that has already been discussed elsewhere. I'm just looking out for you, the new guy, as a courtesy. :blink:

Hey Badger,

Thanks for the advice. I will definately watch my grammar, and remember to search from here on out. I guess it's kind of a good thing though that any good automatics require pumping, that keeps it balanced in the games.

Thanks again!

#4 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 03:48 PM

One other thing: the Tommy 20 is not a full-auto. It's a semi-auto.

Edited by NerfMonkey, 24 August 2006 - 08:50 PM.

SexD Warves

#5 alpine1

alpine1

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 09:25 AM

The Tommy Mech 20 by Buzz Bee is actually MUCH better than you all realize. I've seen one unmodified shot 40' dead on for every single of it's 20 shots. It was scary! You can fire it so fast and precise and not waste your ammo like a rapid fire and no pumping. If you get a good one this thing could change the battlefied in most nerf wars.

#6 General Cole

General Cole

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 09:34 AM

:blink: :) You are retarded.
We should stop calling out/making fun of/pissing GC off. He's actually contributed and is available for trade. He's a better than average member no doubt. Got your back Cole.
-Nerfer34

You know what... I know it's kinda late... but Props Cole.
-Baghead

#7 SG Pilot

SG Pilot

• Members
  • 281 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 10:47 AM

Movie of Tommy 20 in action
Another one

In my opinion, its doesn't look horrible because it has a great ROF and holds a lot of darts. On the other hand though, it's range looks like how far my stock scout fired, maybe worse. So it would probably be ineffective in a nerf war unless it was indoors and you got up close on somebody. It also is motorized, therefore making a lot of noise and revealing your position. Overall, I think it would be fun to mess around with, but may be impractical for an outdoor nerf war. It may be a good indoor weapon though.
QUOTE(VACC @ Oct 9 2009, 04:45 AM) View Post

I know, I HATE toy guns that are made for little kids!

#8 alpine1

alpine1

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 01:44 PM

I my opinion the Buzz Bee Tommy Mech 20 is as at least as powerful or more powerful than the Nerf automatics. From what I've seen from a good Mech 20, it's range is up there with the Power Clip or modified Magstrike. It's noise level with the battery powered engine is quieter than a Wildfire, Magstrike or Rapid Fire 20 when they are fireing. Also the fact that you never need to pump it gives it a useful advantage over the others. Its only drawback is that it is only semi-automatic. This is compensated for by the fact that the Mech 20 combines accuracy with speed as it unleashes its massive pay load. It may be an exageration that it would change the battlefield as I said in an earlier post but it deserves as much credit as the nerf automatics.

#9 meiser5

meiser5

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 02:46 PM

That still does not get over the fact that everybody or almost everybody thinks it is a peice of shit.
Now don't get me wrong, it has it pro's, but it's cons are far greater and outway its potential.

Meiser--- :)
Account Suspension Notification

[DYE]Terminator[gen],
Your member account at NerfHaven has been temporarily suspended because I don't like you. Shindig doesn't like you either. You watch yourself, we're wanted men. I have the death sentence on 12 systems.
Talio---

#10 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 03:34 PM

I my opinion the Buzz Bee Tommy Mech 20 is as at least as powerful or more powerful than the Nerf automatics. From what I've seen from a good Mech 20, it's range is up there with the Power Clip or modified Magstrike.

No. Any well modded Powerclip or Magstrike will get upwards of 45' flat, I've never seen a Tommy 20 get over 40' with an insanely powerful motor. Most RF20s (I can't speak for Wildfires) WILL only get 35-40' flat, so you're half right, but the Powerclip and Magstrike will get better range than you're giving them credit for.

It's noise level with the battery powered engine is quieter than a Wildfire, Magstrike or Rapid Fire 20 when they are fireing.

The Tommy 20 makes a humming noise even when you're NOT firing, so if you're trying to be sneaky you'd be much, much better off with a conventional auto. Who cares how loud a gun is when firing? If you're close enough to use an auto with limited range, you're not going to give a shit about someone knowing you're there. Chances are if you're that close they already know about you being there, and furthermore if you shoot a burst of shots full-auto at somebody from that close, you shouldn't miss anyway.

Also the fact that you never need to pump it gives it a useful advantage over the others.

I'll give you that, although if you conserve your shots with a conventional auto, you can shoot a few shots, put some back in the clip or turret and re-pump the gun in between firefights. If you're smart about your ammo you should never have to completely reload a full clip or turret and you should never have to fully pump the gun again in a single war.

I hope you didn't take this as a flame, I was just countering your points with some of my own. I think this is a pretty interesting thread.
SexD Warves

#11 alpine1

alpine1

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 05:37 PM

You all might be right who prefer a Power Clip or a modified Magstrike to the Tommy Mech 20 but I still think that most of you are wrong to disparage it as worthless. A good Tommy Mech 20 performs at a very high level and some creative nerfers could come up with some great ways to utilize its pump-free power. The one I've seen got 40' flat. Ok so that's 5' less than a Power Clip. That's still pretty good for a semi-auto with 20 shots. Granted the one I saw could have been a freak occurace since people say they've seen ones only getting 20' ranges but if someone could get a hold of some good ones just think. Rushing an enemy position with two Mech 20's, gives you 40 shots as fast as you can pull the trigger at a 40 foot range--No need to stop and reload clips! I bet someone could figure out a way to minimize its weaknesses.

Responding to NerfMonkey's charges:

The Tommy 20 makes a humming noise even when you're NOT firing,

That is not necessarily true. There is an easy access shut off switch on the side of the gun to turn off the motor. If you keep it off until you are in firing distance, it only takes a quick second to put it into firing mode. The hum of the engine is still pretty quiet compared to the sound of a Nerf automatic firing.

Edited by alpine1, 06 September 2006 - 06:52 PM.

#12 NiteWalker

NiteWalker

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 06:09 PM

40 ft. flat... yeah right. If it is anything like the mech three or mech six it goes 10-20 ft., unless they added a motor twice as strong. Im sure you'd like to be turning the on and off switch every 30 seconds(or keep it on for 10 min. too eh? Also, it takes maybe 1 or 2 seconds for the gun to be ready after the motor is turned on and that blows your cover. The magstrike or powerclip can actually suprise people with 10 very fast shots in a row and then the cover is blown. Angel's magstrike can get 3 clips(30 taggers) off in one priming with good power and accuracy. The gun you have seen might have been "rare", but I wonder how many you'd have to buy before getting a "good" one? Maybe ten? Two Tommy's would be dreadful. It's like sitting beside two vacuum cleaners(no joke I have a mech three)! The guns would probably only get maybe 20 ft. due to the "rarety" of a 40 ft. Tommy. If you can assure everyone that most Tommy's get 40 ft. it might be worth a shot, but otherwise its in most nerfers waste list. I say get an auto or clip mod a gun. The longshot would be a great alternative too.

Edited by NiteWalker, 05 September 2006 - 06:09 PM.

NEW Write-up of the DTG/At3k:
Click here
Credit to Carrtoon for the mod.

"The mother of invention is need... Who doesn't have to pelt people with foam?"

#13 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 08:32 PM

The Tommy 20 makes a humming noise even when you're NOT firing,

That is not necessarily true. There is an easy access shut off switch on the side of the gun to turn off the motor. If you keep it off until you are in firing distance, it only takes a quick second to put it into firing mode. The hum of the engine is still pretty quiet compared to the sound of a Nerf automatic firing.

A few seconds after I posted that I realized that was a possibility, to keep it turned off when not firing, but then I remembered my old Spitfire (Spitfire, not Splitfire, don't laugh), which takes about two or three seconds after turning it on to have enough power to throw the disks out. But they're two completely different guns and if the Tommy's motors can warm up quicker, my point is effectively destroyed.

I'm not calling the Tommy useless, I just see more conventional autos/semi-autos as more useful. But, however unconventional it may be, the whole idea of Nerfing itself is unconventional, and experimentation leads to discovery...what was I rambling on about again? Oh, right, the Tommy could be used effectively, I just can't picture myself using one. If it works for you, use it! It just doesn't suit me, although I've never even seen one in person. I'm also VERY partial to the Powerclip and can't imagine using any other gun right now. I just get a bad feeling when I think of motorized guns for some reason. Maybe it's because of that Spitfire collecting dust under my couch. Hmm... :blink:
SexD Warves

#14 SG Pilot

SG Pilot

• Members
  • 281 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 09:31 AM

A motorized nerf gun would be practical only if it packs a huge punch, so when you start turning it on, people will be like "OH ****!!" and they'd get ripped a part by a stream of balls/darts. A constant humming motor would need to pay for a real high ROF. However, I could see motors being used in spring guns. Like having a Razor Beast except a motor turns the cycle for the spring. The spring would provide all the power for firing the darts. I believe this is how the WF, RF20, and PC work except with air to move the spring back. Is that true?

So please! If you want a Mech Tommy 20, get one. It's got its pros and cons and if you don't mind the cons so much, it shouldn't be a problem.

Edited by SG Pilot, 06 September 2006 - 09:34 AM.

QUOTE(VACC @ Oct 9 2009, 04:45 AM) View Post

I know, I HATE toy guns that are made for little kids!

#15 Snazzy Q

Snazzy Q

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 12:43 AM

I think this gun could be truly deadly on the battlefield if you added a momentary on/off button right below the trigger and used, say, a 12 or even 24 volt battery. Well, 24 would be really pushing it, but the whole point is that usually with electric motors every time you double the voltage you get 4x the power out until it starts overheating and efficiency starts to drop again. Of course, that thing is still ugly as hell...

#16 forest sharpshooter

forest sharpshooter

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 03:30 PM

This gun looks preety cool,but like these guys said,its not that great.
"One who knows nothing,can understand nothing"

><~NERF~><

#17 alpine1

alpine1

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 10:23 PM

This gun looks preety cool,but like these guys said,its not that great.

I would suggest that anyone who thinks the Buzz Bee Tommy Mech 20 gun is bad, first go out and buy one and try it for yourself. Most of the people here have only heard it was bad second hand. Put some good high drain batteries in it, spray paint it black and you just might have an awesome gun on your hands.

The shut off switch for the motor is easy to access and the motor turns on real quickly. You could easly surpirse someone with the Mech 20's massive fire power and speed if they've never seen one but only heard it was bad.

Edited by alpine1, 09 September 2006 - 10:25 PM.

#18 hokiefan0705

hokiefan0705

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 10:51 PM

I got one and I am in the process of putting some HUGE motors in it. I also have to add a whole nother battery pack because the motors need a lot of battery power. I will post when I am done.
Cubs in 2012

#19 Florida nerfer

Florida nerfer

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 07:27 AM

Do you know what the real problem with tommy 20's is? It can't fire nerf tagger darts, they're too long! I'm not sure about stefans, though. Still, this would give you a major disadvantage in a war unless you standardizew on shortened darts or buzzbee darts.

#20 Timram

Timram

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 10:52 AM

If you really want to see if the tommy 20 is good go buy a mech six its like a 6 shot version of the tommy 20. I like my mech for the fast easy reload but it jams up every once in a while & it can eat the cups off your darts & wont even fire stefans. One cool thing is if you load one tagger dart at a time they shoot really well.

#21 Mirodasc

Mirodasc

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 02:35 PM

My mech 6 shoots 5/8th's stephans just fine.

#22 Backyard Nerfer

Backyard Nerfer

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 07:35 PM

The Mech Tommy looks like it sucks. It might be useable for CQB.
The only thing that gets me high is the truth... and model glue fumes. -Stephen Colbert

#23 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 07:18 PM

alpine1, My friend recently bought the Tommy Gun and man, it is such a shit kicker for indoor wars. He trimmed his dart tag darts down a bit so they can fit and they really kick ass. The gun is a bit loud, but anyone here who has indoor nerf wars, this is a great buy.

I think though that some of them are good and some arn't, because people say it only goes 10-20 feet and my friend's goes 20 or more....

Edited by six-five-two, 02 October 2006 - 07:22 PM.

#24 Timram

Timram

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 01:46 AM

I just got a tommy 20 as an early xmas gift & it has left me speachless... the thing seems to never run out of ammo! It can shoot 35 ft. with no real angle with a spread like a trash can lid (mostly because the gun moves slightly w every rotaton of the turret). This thing is totally awsome for indoor wars witch is what I do most. All the people that say its bad are exaderating. The motors are sooo quiet! The mech 6 is twice as loud. It has a few draw backs like load time an 1 or 2 darts may tumble but they will still go 20 ft with the accuracy or the other darts. I would definatly recomend this thing even if you don't think its practicle it's so fun to shoot I can't wait to light up my friends with it tommorow.

P.S. when you do eventually run out of ammo you can keep pulling the trigger with the same effect of the chain blazer to keep people hiding from your fire while you grab some ammo.

#25 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 02:25 AM

This thread is pretty old...
I bought my own Tommy20 but later returned it for a RF20 Why? It was way too loud. I thought it was going to be okay but it gave off my position. Also, when you tilt it downwards you lose alot of bullets...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users