Photo

Quick Questions On Darts From A Nublit

8 replies to this topic

#1 mooseydoom

mooseydoom

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 04:05 PM

first off, I was reading up on the NCNO war, and apparently they use taggers. I use a mav as my side arm, and Taggers jam sometimes in it. is it safe to cut em down, or will it hurt the preformance?

second, how essential are stefans for non-tagger wars? They seem fine and all, but with school I barely have time to mod my guns, much less make a bunch of darts.

thanks guys, glad to be on nerfhaven.
Looking to buy a bbb spring...

#2 TheVeg

TheVeg

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 04:46 PM

In a war when other people are shooting stefans at you, unless you are using a really powerful gun modded with 1/2 inch cpvc (or a longshot ;) ) you have no chance. All of my guns are much better with stefans, especially brassed and cpvc'ed. If you run up to shoot someone with a mav, they could nail you with 10 stefans from a magstrike before you get into range. However, if you are facing only people with nearly stock guns (just the barrel posts removed) you might have a chance.

To answer your maverick question, Do not cut down the back of your darts. In other guns they will not reach the tight part in the back of the barrel and shoot poorly. If you are not comfortable modding, try cutting a little bit of the very top part (the tagger part) off and perhaps put some hot glue in it. If you do not want to cut the top part off, try this.

Take the mav apart and remove the restrictors, because the springs push the darts up.
Then dremel or sand down the parts that push against the front of the clip and in the path of the darts. (a.k.a the parts that jam the darts)
Reasemble the gun, and go shoot somebody.

Good luck,

KLM, aka TheVeg

Edited by TheVeg, 26 August 2006 - 05:16 PM.

Vegetarians into Nerf results in n00bs being shot with carrots.

Captain KLM, founder, modder and dartsmith of the Michigan Nerf Mafia.

#3 mooseydoom

mooseydoom

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 05:10 PM

thanks for the help. what about asshole darts? How are they compared to stephans?
Looking to buy a bbb spring...

#4 LiterSize

LiterSize

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 05:14 PM

To be fair, I stripped the tip of the tagger leaving only the post on the foam body for use in my Longshot. They seem to work pretty well, and I even converted them into stefans with hot glue and weights. Don't worry too much about what the other guys have, just go out and play with the skills and equipment you've got. There aren't too many "standard" guidelines to wars (east/west coast hit count, michigan style, milsim, etc. are all just different ways to do things) so don't worry too much about using stefans vs. not using 'em. Have fun!

#5 NiteWalker

NiteWalker

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 08:00 AM

My friend has the Firefly and he bought a pack of 30 taggers(they were the only ammo available for sale). The dart were too long of course, so he just cut them down and they work fine.

Edited by NiteWalker, 23 August 2006 - 08:01 AM.

NEW Write-up of the DTG/At3k:
Click here
Credit to Carrtoon for the mod.

"The mother of invention is need... Who doesn't have to pelt people with foam?"

#6 mav3r1c

mav3r1c

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 04:15 PM

Ya, I cut the back down so they could fit into the shells for my Air Tek Rapid Fire and its work excelltently.

#7 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 05:00 PM

By now, I have well over 100 tagger darts that have been shortened, and they work fine. This way they work in my mavericks, fireflies, and everything else. There is no decrease in performance, and in the Maverick, there is a 30'+ increase in range, because they actually fire instead of jamming.

I use tagger darts. I am expirementing with CDT's (Converted Dart Tags), and I love the performance of those, but the taggers work fine for all my guns. I will not need to use CDT's until I get my Longshot in 9 days (I've been counting down!), and then I will still keep a lot of unconverted tagger darts.

You can cut off about 1/16" or 1/8", but no more, and they still work great. Be careful with this, though, as some taggers are shorter than others. (The ones that come with the Magstrike are already short enough for Mavs., and this may be the case with other guns.)

As far as stefans go, they are cheaper, more accurate, and they have longer range, but that's only if you're good at making them. I still haven't made stefans that I'm happy with, and if you've never made stefans before, it can be a major pain in the ass to get them right. CDT's can get comparable performance to stefans, they are easy to make, they're easy to find (cuz they're bright orange), they work in guns with pegs, and they work great in the Longshot. My stefans get the same ranges as taggers (sometimes less), with horrible accurracy, so I prefer taggers and CDT's.

To answer your maverick question, Do not cut down the back of your darts. your darts. In other guns they will not reach the tight part in the back of the barrel and not fire good. If you are not comfortable modding, try cutting a little bit of the very top part (the tagger part) off and perhaps put some hot glue in it. If you do not want to cut the top part off, try this.

Take the mav apart and remove the restrictors, because the springs push the darts up.
Then dremel or sand down the parts that push against the front of the clip and in the path of the darts. (a.k.a the parts that jam the darts)
Reasemble the gun, and go shoot somebody.

Good luck,

KLM, aka TheVeg

Most taggers are too long for the maverick with or without the restrictors, removing them will not fix it. You can cut the darts down and they still work in every other gun. Dremeling down parts is too much work when cutting the darts works great, and in the Maverick, it would destroy the gun's ability to open the turret, as you would be cutting the front arm of the turret.

If you make them into CDT's, they do not need any cutting down.

Probably dead by now, or something.

#8 TheVeg

TheVeg

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 05:40 PM

My first guns were a maverick and NF. I used them a lot, but after a while the darts wore down and the restrictor springs began pushing them up in the NF. Thinking, Oh, they are pushing up so I will cut them down... Then it only fired worse.... after that I never cut a stock dart down again because I do not have that many.

If you are cutting down dart tags down a tiny tiny bit, since taggers are longer anyways, then it will probably work, but don't cut them shorter than a regular dart.

Also, about the dremel work, I mentioned the restrictors bit mostly bacause you are opening up the mav up anyway, and because when left in a while the darts do get pushed up. You wouldn't need to cut the entire front arm off, just sand or dremel the ridges down, not the entire part. But I have not actually done this, I did something more complicated, along with clip modding them.

Dremeling is a better option during a war because you don't have to stop and think "Is this dart mine, or is that guys, who does not cut down darts?" because while you are thinking that you are giving that guy time to destroy you..

As stefans go, I find it depends on the foam more than anything. I get "FrostKing Poly foam calk saver" and before there foam used to be really soft and sort of dark, and hot glue melted through it. Recently they switched to a lighter stiffer foam that the glue does not burn through, and that is a hell of a lot easier to make darts with. but nobodys stefans are perfect on the firs try, and it took me 3 batches of 100 to get it right.

Live long and Prosper,

KLM

Edited by TheVeg, 26 August 2006 - 05:41 PM.

Vegetarians into Nerf results in n00bs being shot with carrots.

Captain KLM, founder, modder and dartsmith of the Michigan Nerf Mafia.

#9 LastManAlive

LastManAlive

• Members
  • 686 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 07:59 PM

To tell you the truth, get 2 new style NightFinders, a bunch of tagger darts (assuming you want something to shoot taggers and stefans good), CPVC, hot glue...the essential modding supplies, and make your barrels just long enough for a tagger to fill the whole barrel. You will be able to use stefans if you want too, and I get pretty good range with stefans in my NFs with tagger length barrels. One thing I did do to the barrel that I acutally found to help, was to kind of file the inside of the barrel down so you have a little bit of a slope going inside your gun. This will help for reloading the gun by allowing the darts to go into the barrel easily. You can do that with a pocket knife by scraping in a circle.

Hope that helped!
He came, He saw, and he conquered... But where did everyone go?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users