Photo

When And How Did You Start Nerfing?

23 replies to this topic

Poll: How old were you when you played with a Nerf gun?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

When did you start or try modding?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 trogdor65

trogdor65

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 06:01 PM

This is just a topic wondering how you started nerfing. Here are some more questions.

What gun did you first use?

What gun did you first modify?

How did you start nerfing?

Here comes my answers, the first gun I used was a Nitefinder, I tried modding that Nitefinder with my dad by removing air restrictor, streching the spring and banding it. I started to nerf when I saw that beautiful Nitefinder standing on the Target shelves.

Now it's your turn.

#2 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 07:31 PM

There have been many topics like this before.
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#3 trogdor65

trogdor65

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 08:35 PM

There have been many topics like this before.

Oh! Crap! Sorry I completely forgot to search, how noobish of me. This will never happen again.

#4 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 08:46 PM

No problem I've done this before. Just try to remember to search.
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#5 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 10:30 PM

There have been many topics like this, but none quite the same.

IE, there was a "what was your first gun" topic... but I think this one is different. Honestly, I find it interesting that nobody started nerf after age 15 except (kind of) myself. I only said 10- 'cause that's the first one I touched... but honestly, until January I hadn't "touched" one 'till I was 6 or 7.

On the other hand, nobody 10- has tried modding... is this perhaps because they are content with the performance? Don't have the money? The skill or the intuition?

That's why I think this topic is different -- and in a good way, too.
" Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Mr. Creedy. Beneath this mask there is an idea...
...and ideas are bulletproof. "
V

#6 Snazzy Q

Snazzy Q

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 11:14 PM

I started modding before age ten. My parents wouldn't let me have a go-kart, bb gun, paintball gun, any of the fun stuff, so I had to make my own. They didn't mind if I used my creativity to make whatever dangerous stuff I wanted. Anyway, in my quest for ever more powerful weaponry I began modding my crossbow (that's right, original crossbow... I miss it so much! I took it for granted at the time). I added a bicycle innertube and weighted my darts. Eventually the trigger mechanism broke, but it gave me a lot of fun until then. After that I had a Supermaxx 3000 yellow tank, weighted the darts and lengthened the barrels. Sadly, both these guns ended up in garage sales before middle school.

#7 NiteWalker

NiteWalker

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 12:15 PM

Honestly, I don't think kids under 10 should have a paintball gun or a go-kart. Anyways, my first gun was a ratchet blast, but either I broke it or lost it. It wasn't until a while later that I got an at3k.
NEW Write-up of the DTG/At3k:
Click here
Credit to Carrtoon for the mod.

"The mother of invention is need... Who doesn't have to pelt people with foam?"

#8 Snazzy Q

Snazzy Q

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 01:49 PM

Honestly, I don't think kids under 10 should have a paintball gun or a go-kart. Anyways, my first gun was a ratchet blast, but either I broke it or lost it. It wasn't until a while later that I got an at3k.

I realize that now, but I didn't then and it made me very unhappy.

#9 Lancaster

Lancaster

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 01:54 PM

My first gun was a maverick, about 3 months ago. My first mod was a maverick, about three months ago. <_<

Unfortunately, that maverick is now M.I.A. :blink:

#10 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 07:41 PM

First Guns: Rattler, SM3000, Wildfire, SS2 (age 5-10)

First guns I nerfed with: Maverick, NF, the above (age 13)

First gun I modded: Nite Finder (age 13)

Next gun I modded: EVERYTHING! :D (age 13-Now)

How I started Nerfing: can be found here

Edited by AssassinNF, 20 August 2006 - 07:42 PM.

Probably dead by now, or something.

#11 TheVeg

TheVeg

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 03:04 PM

My first nerf gun was one I got for my birthday when I was 6 or 7. It was a pump gun that had a rotating barrel that held at least a few darts, and mildly resembled a super soaker. If I had to guess it was a sm1500. It broke, however and I threw it away. :)
When I really got into nerf was when I was 12 and went to meijer and saw a maverick. It was only 7 bucks so I bought it and I thought it was really cool. When I showed it to all of my friends they all bought mavericks too, and we started having nerf wars.
My first modification was removing the restrictors of a NF that I bought sometime later. After that I did serious mods, and just recently got brass and cpvc .
Vegetarians into Nerf results in n00bs being shot with carrots.

Captain KLM, founder, modder and dartsmith of the Michigan Nerf Mafia.

#12 Black Blade

Black Blade

• Members
  • 541 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 02:26 AM

The first guns I got were the Chainblazer Crossbow and SS1. I had played with my cousins Crossbow before and wanted to get my hands on as many nerf guns as possible. The first gun I modded was a EaB.

#13 MavericK96

MavericK96

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 04:17 AM

First gun - Original Bow N' Arrow

First modded gun - Same, I think. Sawed off the tip for better airflow and dart-firing capability :P First gun I ever opened up was probably the Crossbow or the Sharpshooter II.

Don't remember how I got into Nerf. Probably just got the first as a gift, and thought it was really fun to shoot friends so I got more. ;)

#14 mooseydoom

mooseydoom

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 04:09 PM

My mom thought if I had a nerf gun before I was a teenager I would become a crazy serial killer. I started modding when I saw a mav thread on SomethingAwful.com, and I bought a NF with the mav. I just took out restrictors for a while, brassed my NF yesterday, failed, trying a new one today.
Looking to buy a bbb spring...

#15 MFRnync

MFRnync

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 06:33 PM

I started modding at age 13 when I discovered nerf on the net after randomly inputing the term "nerf gun" into a search engine. I certainly wasnt expecting to find anything interesting let alone an internet commnity as elaborate as this. Bear in in mind, by this time of my life I was already paintballing so many of my friends were confused as to why I would pick up a game like nerf which seemed so much less mature. That factkpet me from seriously modding nerf guns until apprxoimatley two years later when many of my friends who's parents refused to subsidise their paintball expenses needed an alternative combat sport that was easier on the wallet. And so it began ;), even though modification did not come easily to me ( Im not a very tecnically inclined person) I persevered and I think in some ways nerf helped me learn to set reallistic short term goals in life. HAHA, I know that sounds ridicullos but nerf contributes to time management skills. Its like, ok, I want to finish my titan build before ths weekends war soo Im going to have to put down the beer stop chain smoking marbloro reds and stumble into the grage. I would actuly play that game in my head and it kept me focused on a project. On a side note, the amount of very young people on this and other nerf related fourms makes me very uncomfortable. 11 year olds should not have unrestricted internet acess, nor should they be given acess to toools and modding supply's without adult supervision.
carpe scrotum- grab life by the balls, sustaining member of the always outnumbered but never outgunned toy gun modifiers guild.

#16 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 05:42 PM

On a side note, the amount of very young people on this and other nerf related fourms makes me very uncomfortable. 11 year olds should not have unrestricted internet acess, nor should they be given acess to toools and modding supply's without adult supervision.

I Agree. The thought of someone like my little brother with power tools is most unpleasant.

That is why you have to be 13 or older to join this board.

#17 MFRnync

MFRnync

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 06:14 PM

So the fourm rules state, but I have a sneaking suspicion that some of our members may not have been entirley truthful when they joined :rolleyes:
carpe scrotum- grab life by the balls, sustaining member of the always outnumbered but never outgunned toy gun modifiers guild.

#18 NiteWalker

NiteWalker

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 06:16 PM

When I started modding, I only used my Leatherman Supertool(A foldable plier that had small knives and small saws in it) to cut everything. To take out ARs I asked my dad to drill them out when he was free. It took a very long time to do anything, but I persevered. I also used a Minimite dremel when I was 12(I already had some experience in modding) that didn't cut your skin if you touched it. Overall, I think for younger people mini Dremels are fine to use(without razor blades of course). They aren't too hard to handle and it's hard to get hurt with one unless you have razor blades.

Edit- Oh yeah, my first mod was taking out the bbb air restrictors and putting in this plastic sheet thing that could roll up into a tube. I hadn't really thought much of brass and cpvc at the time. It shot micros around 35 ft. flat... What do you expect from a noob?

Edited by NiteWalker, 23 August 2006 - 06:30 PM.

NEW Write-up of the DTG/At3k:
Click here
Credit to Carrtoon for the mod.

"The mother of invention is need... Who doesn't have to pelt people with foam?"

#19 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 06:22 PM

So the fourm rules state, but I have a sneaking suspicion that some of our members may not have been entirley truthful when they joined :rolleyes:

Very true, unfortunately. -_-

On topic:

The first time I ever modded something, I turned it into a very stylish piece of crap. It looked badass, but I was lucky if the dart left the barrel. I've come a long way since then. ^_^

#20 deathwolf

deathwolf

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 06:26 PM

First gun-Splitfire

First gun I nerfed with-Mav

First gun I modded-NF

I found the Mav about a year and a half ago and that got me into stock nerf. About a year later, I stumbled upon this wonderful site, and started modding.
BROOD XIII

#21 LordoftheRing434

LordoftheRing434

• Members
  • 565 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 07:10 PM

The gun that answers all of the above questions for me would be the Secret Shot 1.

Before I was 10, I was Nerfing with it a lot. I'd have 10+ person wars at my friends house and his parents let us move matresses and furniture around. They were probably the best wars I've had. All blasters were stock as well.

Nerf fizzled out for me for a few years, and I made my re-entry right before the collapse of NerfOnline. I was 12 or 13 at the time. This is when I first started modding guns too. I modded my SS1 first, and then I moved onto a SM1500 and then a PC. Until recently, I used my SM1500 as my primary and it hadn't needed a fix since I first modded it. But alas, a ruptured airtank causes major problems.

So yeah, I've been through it all for quite a while now. Not as long as a lot of people around here, but I have a working knowledge of Nerf history.

~Rings
And when he gets to Heaven, to St. Peter he will tell, "One more soldier reporting sir, I've served my time in hell."

"I bluff it. I don't throw my weight around and say I know what I'm doing." ~ Mick Jagger

#22 joeyaglr444

joeyaglr444

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 07:17 PM

OH man i owned a smx1500 and i sorta lost or broke it wen i was nine i cant beleive i owned a jewel
I released my modding potential when i modded me splitfire...

Hw many of yall owned a gun when you were yonger but now is looked as a god in a nerf arsenol?
Boys Become Men....Men Become Wolves

Blaffair to Rememblack.

#23 meiser5

meiser5

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 05:45 PM

Sit down kitties and I will tell ye a tale of a boy, his nerf gun, and SCREW THAT!!!!

No, for real. I first got into nerfing when I was eightish. That gun was a powerclip which I still have. I started seriously modding them when I was on the internet searching for guns when I found this (Angels Sing Out In In Immaculate Chorus) site. That gun I modded was a nightfinder with the replaced barrel and light replacement.
It is really powerful and I thank this site for giving me the skills and ideas to start modding.

Meiser--- :lol:
Account Suspension Notification

[DYE]Terminator[gen],
Your member account at NerfHaven has been temporarily suspended because I don't like you. Shindig doesn't like you either. You watch yourself, we're wanted men. I have the death sentence on 12 systems.
Talio---

#24 General Cole

General Cole

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 06:58 PM

HMMMMM
First Gun-Rototrack
First Modd - Secret Shot
First Gun to War with (06' Geddon(only real war))-X-bow, DTG, NF(s), Mav

I love nerf
We should stop calling out/making fun of/pissing GC off. He's actually contributed and is available for trade. He's a better than average member no doubt. Got your back Cole.
-Nerfer34

You know what... I know it's kinda late... but Props Cole.
-Baghead

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users