Shiny, pretty, and ready to pwn.

15 replies to this topic

#1 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 03:18 PM

I recall (couldn't find when searching, but I know it was there at some point...) seeing some person atach a crayola barreled (or soemthing like that) Airtech 2k turret to the front of their Nite Finder. It wasn't done all that great, and the barrels were sagging, but I liked the concept.

In case you haven't noticed, adding 2k turrets to guns that aren't made with 4 barrels (or more...tee hee) in mind has become a major hobby of mine in the nerfing world. I love it, it's fun, it's somewhat easy (but looks complicated=good for recruiting), and it looks incredibly badass when done cleanly, with the right materials, on the right gun.

I have here such an example.

I needed to replace my Splitfire sidearm with something smaller and lighter, but just a single-barreled nite Finder hasn't been enough for me in the past. That older version of this mod came to mind in combo with my newly acquired habit, so I made it.

The turret is attached to the air output via a stub of 17/32" brass, which fits over the stub on the back of a 2k turret perfectly. The barrels are also 17/32" brass to accomodate Dart Tag stefans, which are the only darts I use. I doubled up the o-ring, dampened the spring vibrations with some foam, lubed up the plunger head, dremeled the air output wide open, and stuck two short pieces of 17/32" brass into the handle in the battery wells. It's not in the picture (I need to dig them up) but it will also have stock ammo holders in the stock location. I just couldn't find any when I made it a week or so ago.

*Have to go to class; be back to post pics this evening*

Edited by Falcon, 19 August 2006 - 08:54 PM.

----------||||||||)
QUOTE(Ilùvatar @ 0000) View Post
Of the theme that I have declared to you, I will now that ye make in harmony together a Great Music.

#2 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 04:17 PM

I think your talking about this one.
Why did you want to replace your Splitfire, I thought you loved it? Anyway sounds sweet. Can't wait for pics.

#3 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 04:35 PM

I recall (couldn't find when searching, but I know it was there at some point...) seeing some person atach a crayola barreled (or soemthing like that) Airtech 2k turret to the front of their Nite Finder. It wasn't done all that great, and the barrels were sagging, but I liked the concept.

Yup, that was me.

The thing you have to understand is that the barrels have to sag. The only way to get them straight would be to cut through the plunger extension to make room for the spring, and springs can't be airtight. Coincidentally, today's the day I dug it up and I'm got halfway through brassing it when I ran out of brass. I'll finish it once I get some more $.

It looks as if you have solved the sagging problem, though, by putting the barrels farther out. Good idea. Can't wait for pics.
" Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Mr. Creedy. Beneath this mask there is an idea...
...and ideas are bulletproof. "
V

#4 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 08:24 PM

It's not that it's farther away from the gun. That would reduce range. Plus, I didn't really need to, since I put the turret upside-down, so the top barrel is the one that fires, and the spring goes up against the shell in a space I dremeled out for it. The Spring didn't have to go up on top of the shell like it does on the one you made (thanks for the idea, by the way; I'm getting addicted to turreting guns...)

Pics:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

As for replacing the splitfire, there are two reasons. I didn't completely REMOVE it from my active arsenal, persay. I'm making it into a third SplitTech with longer barrels than the second one has, specifically for use as a Smaller, more mobile primary for CTF play. As for not using it as a sidearm, well, I can't go into detail too much just yet.

Edited by Falcon, 19 August 2006 - 08:44 PM.

----------||||||||)
Of the theme that I have declared to you, I will now that ye make in harmony together a Great Music.

#5 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 08:42 PM

OMG... That is BY FAR the best NF I've ever seen, I am definianlty doing that!

EDIT- what are ranges like? Pretty close to a normal NF?

Edited by nerfer34, 19 August 2006 - 08:44 PM.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#6 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 08:52 PM

The guts of the NF I used are the guts from my old NF ppk, which hit ~60'. I measured this sucker at ~50-55'. I don't care that there was a range loss (albeit, a pretty substantial one) because who doesn't want a smaller 4-shot maverick that fires just as fast (when worked correctly) as a standard mav shoots its first 4 shots, but at NF ranges?

Spring pistol rounds, here I come!

Edited by Falcon, 20 August 2006 - 11:10 AM.

----------||||||||)

#7 NiteWalker

NiteWalker

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 10:18 PM

Nice, it's way better looking than my "clip" NF and it shoots farther too. Are those converted darts? Oh, and I don't see how it can shoot as fast as a Maverick unless you use two hands to shoot the gun.

Edited by NiteWalker, 19 August 2006 - 10:19 PM.

NEW Write-up of the DTG/At3k:
Click here
Credit to Carrtoon for the mod.

"The mother of invention is need... Who doesn't have to pelt people with foam?"

#8 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 10:39 PM

SWEET!!!

*is jealous*

Kinda wish I'd been that smart when I started making mine. Good job.

How about a profile pic? I want to better see the connection between the pressure chamber and the turret.
" Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Mr. Creedy. Beneath this mask there is an idea...
V

#9 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 11:38 PM

This what you're looking for?

Posted Image

Oh, and I don't see how it can shoot as fast as a Maverick unless you use two hands to shoot the gun.

Well, that was kinda what I was getting at...lol.

And yes, they're converted darts. Dart Tag Stefans are my babies; I never load one of my guns with anything else.

Edited by Falcon, 20 August 2006 - 11:09 AM.

----------||||||||)

#10 Sage

Sage

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 01:10 AM

One thing Falcon didn't mention about this gun is that the extra weight in the front of the gun is definately noticable, but I think it makes it a bit more comefortable.

It's just like your traditional NF, only... well... 2k-ified.

It's freaking awesome, very clean, and might change your standings in springer rounds... hope it helps with the recruiting!
Holder of the original Split-Tech 2k

"Headband" - as so named by OMC
"That One Guy in the Pineapple Shirt" -So aptly named by Baghead

#11 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 02:06 AM

Already has. I introduced my roommate to nerf yesterday, and he and I had a skirmish, owning the guys across the hall with just my NF and a singled one, while they both had Dart Taggers.

It's catching on.
----------||||||||)

#12 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 07:42 AM

YOu know what would make that gun just unreal, if you could somehow make that thing auto rotate.

I am going to be making one of this but I have a few quick questions..
-How much work did you have to do to mount the turret on so it doesn't sag downwards? Did it require sheet metal and stuff?
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#13 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 09:03 AM

Yes, that's just what I was looking for, thanks. Very clean and very nicely done. I may have to start mine over.

How much work did you have to do to mount the turret on so it doesn't sag downwards?

I don't think he did anything. He just put the turret down instead of up.
V

#14 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 09:08 AM

You know what would make that gun just unreal, if you could somehow make that thing auto rotate.

Not going to happen. If 2k turrets could be made to auto-rotate, someone would've figured out how to by now (they've been in existence for how long now?) And if someone managed to, it'd probably be more added bulk to the gun that would be unnecessary. Keeping the gun simple leaves less chance for malfunction.

Nothing special was done to make it straight. Just a standard mounting of a brass barrel (just a really really short brass barrel) on a NF, and then attaching the turret to it. Nothing more.

It took me all of about an hour to do. If I hadn't been helping a clanmate with some other mods and chatting and whatnot, it would've been a half-hour job. Easy enough for anyone to do, really.
----------||||||||)

#15 Nerfnewbie

Nerfnewbie

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 09:17 AM

Pretty neat. Does that fit in your pocket or do you use a holster for it?
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < )

Behold. Helping Bunny on his way, one signiture at a time.

#16 SirTofu

SirTofu

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 12:29 PM

Nice job. I am definitley going to do this to one of my nitefinders.
Nobody online Nerfs in the SE :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users