Photo

Holsters: Right Or Left Leg?

Where do you keep your secondary

14 replies to this topic

Poll: Holsters: Right or Left Leg?

Right-Handed: Do you keep your secondary on your right leg or your left leg?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Left-Handed: Do you keep your secondary on your right leg or your left leg?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 11:25 AM

First answer your dominant hand, then answer the opposite answer for your recessive.

I just wanted to know what people think about this. Because say you are right-handed, then you'll have a better shot with your right hand and want to have your secondary on your right leg.

But if you're holding your primary in your right hand already, you'll have a faster draw with your left hand... which might save your behind one day.

Edited by Flaming Hilt, 18 August 2006 - 08:52 AM.

" Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Mr. Creedy. Beneath this mask there is an idea...
...and ideas are bulletproof. "
V

#2 elf avec gun

elf avec gun

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 11:40 AM

I am right handed but I like my secondary to be on my left leg because it just makes more sense to my brain. I tend to use a fairly long primary with a shoulder strap (I use the strap from my fender guitar) So I hold that with my left hand and then grab my sidearm/ secondary. It might seem like would be slower but I have such long and gangley arms that it takes me less time.

Edited by elf_avec_gun, 18 August 2006 - 09:40 AM.

"It's hard to imagine a more specific subset of nerd than our community. One day we shall be studied by a single sociologist whom the other sociologists will mock incessantly." ~VACC

Got Nerd?

#3 WratH

WratH

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 12:02 PM

It's not letting me answer just one question, but I like to switch my primary to my left hand and cross draw with my right hand from my left side holster.
Death be not proud. Though some have called the mighty and dreadful... Thou art not so.

#4 SPU-Nerf

SPU-Nerf

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 05:12 PM

I am Right handed but I like my NF on my left hip, with the gun's butt facing forward.
So I do a cross draw with my right hand to pull it out.

#5 Black Blade

Black Blade

• Members
  • 541 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 06:32 PM

Right side I use my dominat left hand to hold my primary and my right to un-holster my sidearm.

#6 Mr Zarwid

Mr Zarwid

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 06:52 PM

I feel that the time taken to cross draw a gun would expose one's self unnecessarily in the time it takes to reach around the waist, to the other leg.

I tend to keep my sidearm holstered on the same side as my dominate hand, which is left for me.

I keep my primary in my off hand most of the time, and if I need to drop it in order to draw my sidearm, then I will.

Or, I will keep the primary in my arm, stuck between my arm pit and my side, and return fire with my sidearm, while reloading the primary one handed.

Whichever is most appropriate for what I am using right then. :mellow:

#7 SPU-Nerf

SPU-Nerf

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 08:37 PM

Well cross draw for my NF is much faster than side draw.
I don't have to reach as far back on the hip and with the cross draw my left hand is much closer to cock the NF.

#8 NinjZ

NinjZ

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 10:05 PM

Why would you crossdraw from a drop-leg holster on the opposite side of your dominant hand? The point of the drop leg holster is so you have room to draw the sidearm from your dominant side. You only crossdraw when you holster your sidearm on your belt or stomach.

#9 SPU-Nerf

SPU-Nerf

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 10:46 PM

Oh, my bad, I use holsters that attach to a belt, not to the leg.
In that case I would holster my gun on my right leg.

#10 murakumo32

murakumo32

• Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 10:51 PM

I store my sidearms in two places.

I have a holster for my scout on my lower back that I can draw with my right hand. I draw with my right from this particular holster since I can sling my primary onto my back and go dual wielding when I have no time to reload.

I also have a srping load SSPB strapped to my wrist. When I extend my wrist, the catch is released, and the SSPB swings into my hand, then I aim and fire. Inspiration for this came from Trigun.

Technically, I can mount 2 SSPB on both wrists, but because of the release mechinism, it would be hard for me to hold onto another gun's handle.
Nerfing, now fortified with vitamin C!
-or-
100% Nerf, for 100% pwnage.

Nerf is a neutral weapons dealer. Anyone coughing up the dough can get armed.

and they're made of Foam... which makes them very Nerfy...

#11 z80

z80

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 07:23 AM

I usually just hold my secondary in my non dominant hand and use it to steady my primary, then switch when my primary fires.

#12 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 09:02 AM

Wow, sooooo many different ways of doing things. I was looking for one standard method, but it looks as if holster location is going to be like gun selection: see what works for you.

I guess that -- if I actually try it -- I prefer a right-handed drop holster. All my main weapons are two-handed, so I'd just keep my grip on my main with my left hand and pick up my secondary with my right.
" Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Mr. Creedy. Beneath this mask there is an idea...
...and ideas are bulletproof. "
V

#13 davidbowie

davidbowie

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 06:52 PM

If you have your primary on a sling, you can just let go without having to worry about it.

FH, why not have a sidearm on each leg? That way, you can do whatever feels most natural at the time, without just grabbing air. You'll have an extra shot, to boot.
Check out the all-new DBNerf. The source for all your DBNeeds.

#14 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 02:52 PM

I've tried a few different things, but when I used to use a drop-leg holster for my NF and then later my SF, I had it on my right leg, even though I'm right handed. If I needed it, I'd toss my crossbow to my left hand and draw the gun. It took slightly more time, but it was worth it because I simply canNOT aim well and consistently with a pistol in my left hand. On top of that, when I switched to a Splitfire, my left trigger finger doesn't exhibit anywhere near the same control that my right trigger finger does, so firing only one barrel at a time from the testy trigger on a SF (if you know the gun, you know what I'm talking about) was only done well with my right hand. Recently, though, I decided that a leg holster was hindering me too much, so I mounted the SF holster sideways on my belt in the center above my rear. The handle point down and is on the left side so I can reach behind me and have the SF out in a fraction of a second with no difficulty. It also helps in that the gun is immediately pointing to my left, and since my primary is already in my right, I've got both directions covered virtually instantly.

However, I've recently decided that the SF sidearm is just a little too bulky for holstering there, so I'm switching back to just a NF as a secondary separate weapon. Granted, it's not a standard NF by ANY means, so I don't know quite how I'm going to make a holster for it. Still, it will be mounted in the same place, at the small of my back, for drawing by my left hand to keep both directions covered as well as o keep my legs free of straps, etc. for mobility reasons.

Flaming Hilt, you're right. Really, it is whatever works best for each individual. I don't think I've gone more than two wars in a row since Spring CAFF 2005 with the exact same gun/sidearm/holster/ammunition bag combination. Something always keeps changing. Still, I think I'm just about ready to settle (permanently)on this new setup. It's got everything I'll ever need built right in. When I finish it (as in, finish my new holster setup and what have you) I'll put it up in here with a pic or two, just to give people a few ideas.
----------||||||||)
QUOTE(Ilùvatar @ 0000) View Post
Of the theme that I have declared to you, I will now that ye make in harmony together a Great Music.

#15 Walter

Walter

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 03:29 AM

I don't know quite how I'm going to make a holster for it. Still, it will be mounted in the same place, at the small of my back, for drawing by my left hand to keep both directions covered as well as o keep my legs free of straps, etc. for mobility reasons.

take a tip from Dr. Physics
Posted Image
Posted Image

A type of clip is attached to the gun itself so you just need a belt or pants to clip it onto.

Now you just need to work on your "Come hither" look.

Edited by Walter, 20 August 2006 - 03:30 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users