Drum Feeds

Drum feeds for Longshot,FAR,Scar-N

19 replies to this topic

#1 Der Exilen

Der Exilen

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 04:04 PM

I want to build a Drum magazine for my Longshot,but i figured i'd write up the basics.

This be my current "approach"

1.an inherently large piece of pipe (6" PVC) forms my basic shape.
2.The existing magazine will be remolded using a plaster mold and epoxy. (spray it with pam so you don't ruin it!)

What i need to know:
1.What's the best way to build resistance on the magazine
2.Is there an intrest in it

When i get paid next week it'll all go down. Seeya then.
The revolution will not be on your iPod.
The revolution will not be on CNN
The revolution will not cost $.99 a song.
The revolution will not be on the atkins diet.
The revolution will free us all.

Extension of a poem by gil-scott heron.

#2 tcorr911

tcorr911

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 06:23 PM

Nobody has really doveloped one yet, but here are some ideas.
Bolt, ye are truly a god among men. Ye have earned yeself a place on Enigma's list of heroes, right below Sean Connery and directly above Papa Smurf...a highly honorable slot indeed.
-Enigma1313

#3 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 09:38 PM

3DBBQ made one out of a CD platter. His picture link is dead though...
http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=6886

And ompa, you had http twice... Here is the link:
http://www.boltsnipe...hp?showtopic=31

Enjoy.

#4 NinjZ

NinjZ

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 10:03 PM

3DBBQ's drum magazine is gravity fed and feeds the darts in from the top of the blaster. If you plan to have a drum mag at the bottom of the LS it will require a bit more work. Also keep in mind each dart is in its own "barrel" when in the magazine so 3DBBQ's design wont really work for this application.

#5 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 10:08 PM

Not me. Just the same Avatar.

~ompa

#6 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 10:17 PM

Sorry ompa, I didn't look carefully. Damn same avatars!

#7 tcorr911

tcorr911

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 10:35 PM

I think I'll change my avatar then, poor dogbert. :(
Bolt, ye are truly a god among men. Ye have earned yeself a place on Enigma's list of heroes, right below Sean Connery and directly above Papa Smurf...a highly honorable slot indeed.
-Enigma1313

#8 Der Exilen

Der Exilen

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 02:47 PM

Good to see somebody other than me Had the idea. i wonder how the "Big boys" do it. knowing that could get me along farther.

Going down from the magazine the ammo would have a clock spring pushing it up. you'd be able to have about 30 rounds in the 4" drum. Atop it,the magazine would attach from the bottom,the same way it does in the regular.

#9 LastManAlive

LastManAlive

• Members
  • 686 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 08:02 PM

I think your best bet for compresion to move the darts in the drum feed, is a rubberband. You lead what ever feeds the darts to a slit in the PVC and have a rubber band catch it and then you pull the rubber band around the drum to make compresion. Not too much, and just enough to get the darts to move. You would need to house the drum in a second layer of PVC to hold it together, but heck, that would work.

As for actually getting the darts in the gun, you need a breech of somesort, and you need the darts to travel into the barrel as they turn or else they would just be sitting there. This is where I think PETG piping and clear PVC or plexiglass would come in hand. You would cut a section of the 6 inch PVC for the drum mag out to start the slot ofr the rubber band of course, so you rReally Really Effeminatee that section once the slot has been made, with plexiglass. This way you can see where the darts leave the drum into the feed. And when you make your breech, you use PETG so you can see if you have a dart in there or not. This way you know to look into the drum via the plexiglass, and to pull the feed back (pull what is connected to the rubberband) shake the device to eliminate the jam, and let go for the rubberband to pull the feed back where it was and let you clse the breech and prime the weapon. I think I will attemp this, and I will take pictures as I go. I will make different breeches for different guns, but make them all compatable with the drum feed.
He came, He saw, and he conquered... But where did everyone go?

#10 Der Exilen

Der Exilen

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 08:14 PM

a plexi version of the existing magazine may function well. i didn't even think about plexi until you said it and i had the polypropolene all out and ready to mix. damn.

Okie-tay. this is what i have in mind now. my illustration skills aren't great,but you should be able to get the idea.

Posted Image

Okay. The gray box is what attaches to the actual gun itself. When a dart is inserted a spring-based elevator brings it into the barrel.

The black ring outside the red circle is the area where the ammo is carried. I'd use a very long,skinny spring (which would bend) And another,similarly styled elevator to carry ammo to the first elevator. sort of a big push rod.

The interior of the disc would be filled with small lengths of piping,giving everything something to grip to and keep it closed.

The springs themselves (with the attached elevators) would be held down by a small length of PVC on the actual exterior wall,holding the elevator and the second elevator (going to the gun) would be at a 25 degree pitch to assist in the extraction of the darts.

I'm gonna build this thing friday. i'll have a full write-up on it then.

Edited by Der Exilen, 14 August 2006 - 08:28 PM.

#11 davidbowie

davidbowie

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 09:03 PM

The elevator is way more complicated than it needs to be. Instead, cut out a small part of the circle and have the port that feeds into the elevator feed into the mag well instead.
Check out the all-new DBNerf. The source for all your DBNeeds.

#12 Der Exilen

Der Exilen

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 09:21 PM

Good idea bowie. So what you're thinking is something like this?

Posted Image

At the same time,i could then spiral the inside of the PVC and hold more ammo. lots more ammo. as in,enough ammo to not have to reload for hours.

#13 davidbowie

davidbowie

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 10:16 PM

Yup, that's what I was talking about. I hope this thing works.
Check out the all-new DBNerf. The source for all your DBNeeds.

#14 LastManAlive

LastManAlive

• Members
  • 686 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 11:14 PM

Bowie, that's how I drew mine up. I would have a wall like structure inside of the drum to push the darts around. You would have a slot all the way around the gun as I said befor for the rubberband to pull the wall around and around. The only problem I came up with was getting the darts to go towards the feederneck. Keeping them from forming again the "wall" is what would happen, and there would be no force to get them to go towards the feeder.

My only solution for this, was to make the drum MUCH smaller than a CD tray. Perhaps one to hold 50 max...but that's plenty really. You would have a much smaller drum, with the wall of the drum coming closer and closer to the center of. So it starts a spiral. This keeps the darts going down into the feeder. As the "wall" pushes the darts forward, the wall of the drum would come in and keep pressure on the darts. and lead them to the feedneck.

It is VERY sketchy, but I did it in 45 seconds in paint.

Posted Image

I also mentioned PVC going around the drum to reinforce it from cuting the slip for the wall to be pulled, but I think one could do it with flashing steel and some epoxy. The only other thing that needs to be done, is reloading the drum. I think it would be a pain to put them all through the feed neck, but you would simply have to pull the wall back, and drop them in there. I would probably push one in there one at a time so not to jam them up or get them going upsidedown.

Improvements would include adding mor support and addinga lip at the top of the feed neck to hold the darts in a little better.

Edited by LastManAlive, 14 August 2006 - 11:17 PM.

#15 Der Exilen

Der Exilen

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 11:25 AM

I had an idea for that too. The spring end would be installed with a simple brake and you'd just hold it down,Drop the darts in and go. Very much like speedloading an airsoft gun.

#16 LastManAlive

LastManAlive

• Members
  • 686 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 08:47 PM

But like I admitted, the flaw to my design would be the reloading factor. The darts are not like airsoft BBs. You can't speed load this thing. You would have to push them the drum through the feeder in order to not get any darts going the wrong way or getting jamed upsidedown. I think I will work on this. I have a 100 CD case that is empty, so I will have to cut it up some, but it wouldn't be bad. It would be better than PVC; You would be able to see if you get a jam in it.

#17 blink 182

blink 182

• Members
  • 421 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 09:52 PM

From the looks of it now, your on the right track!

Here are some thing's I have come up with:

Have a bolt conntected to the main clock spring (the main mag spring) that runs the entire circle length of the mag. Then when you have to re-load, just pull this bolt back and lock it in a notch in the center of the mag. Picture a pistol mag with a piece coming off of it. you pull this piece down to bring the spring (platform that pushes the bullets up and into the chamber) to the bottom of the mag.

If you find a way to make it detachable (Clips? Locks?) You wont need to have a speed re-load! Picture being able to hold 30 darts in each mag and being able to switch them up in under 10 seconds! If you have 3 mags thats 90 shots! If you fire more then 90 shots in one round...you need to work on your aim not your spray!
New Price On Freedom, Buy Into It While Supplies Last...

#18 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 06:40 PM

I want to build a Drum magazine for my Longshot,but i figured i'd write up the basics.

This be my current "approach"

1.an inherently large piece of pipe (6" PVC) forms my basic shape.
2.The existing magazine will be remolded using a plaster mold and epoxy. (spray it with pam so you don't ruin it!)

What i need to know:
1.What's the best way to build resistance on the magazine
2.Is there an intrest in it

When i get paid next week it'll all go down. Seeya then.

Does that mean that you will be selling them if you get them to work and there's an interest in them? You could make some serious money off of that if it works.

Probably dead by now, or something.

#19 Der Exilen

Der Exilen

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 10:27 PM

I might consider it. The "Venture" capital is a way big problem right now. i just had the exhaust system rot through and fall off the back of my pickup so i need another week or so to actually get the project going. But i will consider it. if not,you'll get a full write-up on how to build your own.

#20 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 08:49 PM

But i will consider it. if not,you'll get a full write-up on how to build your own.

Sounds great! Good luck with it. Even if it only holds 15-20 shots, it'll still be awesome.

Probably dead by now, or something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users