Great war.

49 replies to this topic

#1 Evil

Evil

Fucking Copout

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 06:40 PM

One of the best events I've been to in a very long time. It was great to see everyone and I left with a great amount of satisfaction having played so many rounds. Except for the two minor injuries Hersh and I had, the day went unbelievably well.

To all the guys that showed up like Dux, Sean and Ted, thanks for making the effort to come Nerf with us and for trying as hard as you did.

To the Horsemen, thanks for coming. It really made the day feel borderline nostalgic, and overall it definitely added to the fun.

To Hersh, thanks for being there for when I really needed you (to shoot at).

Sure the day could have been cooler and less humid, but we played plenty of rounds and I got the general feeling that everyone enjoyed themselves. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come for us NJ players, considering how little we have played lately. I hope today motivates us to get together more.

EASILY ONE MY ALL TIME FAVORITE EVENTS

-THANK YOU-

Matt

2007 Great American GoreFest Champion (Aug. 4, Apoc)

#2 The Infinite Shindig

The Infinite Shindig

Arma-what-now?

• Contributors
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 06:57 PM

Easily the best event that I have ever attended. The Horsemen stole the show by showing up mid-battle, all wielding Longshots. I was avoiding buying into the Longshot craze, but after seeing what one of things can do I will be buying one before my next war.

Days like today still keep me from selling my nerf guns.
Shindig of the Lawn Chair Mafia

<a href="http://www.albinobla.../flash/posting" target="_blank">Posting and You</a>

#3 badger

badger

The Walking Nerf-wiki

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 08:26 PM

This was my first time ever going to a Nerf war and I have to say it was alot more fun than I have had in quite a while. I still wish I could have played, but all of you still made me feel welcome and showed me a great time. Here's my recap of what I saw today. I don't remember everyone's name, but I'll do my best.

-Duxburian must have been an elf in a previous life. He'd run into the woods and just melt into the treeline. That homemade you brought was rather unwieldly, but cool.

-The guy that lost his shoes in the first round he played in was hysterical. I still need to look at the video, but every time I turned the camera towards him, he was dancing.

-The surprise entrance by the Horsemen. I'm crouching on the ground taping near the bridge when all of a sudden I see orange darts flying overhead. I turn my head and there are five people with Longshots mowing down everyone! Definitely a major highlight of the day, plus I became their dart gopher. They were alot easier to find than the zeroes and stefans.

-Joe and his Manta Ray. He would have been hit alot more if it wasn't for it.

There's so much more that I can say, but my brain is complete mush right now as it took me 90 minutes to get up the parkway to my house. NJ drivers suck! I'll be checking the video and the pictures tomorrow.

EDIT: I've finally woken up and I'm now putting the video into my computer for editing. OMC, the look on your face when the Horsemen showed up was priceless.

Edited by badger, 07 August 2006 - 08:33 AM.

As Carbon once said,

"The moment you can no longer see the fun in running around like a little child is the moment you begin to die."

Roses are FF0000
Violets are 0000FF

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US

#4 DX-Robert

DX-Robert

formerly DX

• Members
  • 679 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 08:51 PM

That was my first major Nerf war. It was great fun, although it took the better part of the war to get used to single shot, long range guns. My clan and local wars don't have any crossbows, longshots, or the such. I shall now be searching for said guns.

Moving around and darting in and out of the woods was a display of non-Nerf tactics adapted for Nerf. I have a fluid fighting style that I guess needs losing of some of the fluidity. When I would back off or move away, even when not in immediate danger of being hit, that was natural instinct developed from fighting water wars in miles of forest. Positioning appears to not be as important in these wars. In water wars, I use a whole park as a fallback position or an attack approach. EVen with all the intensity, large Nerf wars appear to be very laid back.

Now knowing what to expect in wars like this, I shall be back with a better gun. :lol:

United Nerf Ops - The premier northeast US nerf club serving the tristate area (NY, NJ, CT)
NYC Nerf Ops - Nerf in New York City itself
NJ Nerf Ops - Nerf in New Jersey
CT Nerf Ops - Nerf in Connecticut

UNO also has a Discord server, DM me on Discord to join (@vincentdrake)

-----------------------------------------------
My other groups:
Nerf Thrifters - A group for posting thrifts and other second-hand finds

#5 Evil

Evil

Fucking Copout

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 09:30 PM

Positioning appears to not be as important in these wars.

I would argue that it is incredibly important. Their were a handful of games where the teams with the best angles won. I recall Vacc, Famine and I talking about how positioning made or broke some games today.

Definitely invest in a few new guns Dux, they could make all the difference

#6 Famine

Famine

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 09:42 PM

When I would back off or move away, even when not in immediate danger of being hit, that was natural instinct developed from fighting water wars in miles of forest. Positioning appears to not be as important in these wars. In water wars, I use a whole park as a fallback position or an attack approach. EVen with all the intensity, large Nerf wars appear to be very laid back.

Awesome fucking war. It was great to see some of the vets and get introduced to the new blood. Everyone was really on their game;
Evil & OMC were hitting everything they pointed at
Shindig & Warlock were right there in the thick of every charge and covering team mates during a retreat
Shrimp & Tennesse really impressed me for how new they were to the game (keep up the great work!)
Badger, it was great to meet you. Your dart scouting was invaluable, give us some time and we'll get you modding and on the field yet.

As to the Longshot debate, there's no arguing that the gun is ridiculously fun to use and a potent addition to any arsenal. I agree with Vacc though that yesterday only proved (courtesy of Evil and OMCx3) that the day of the Crossbow and Maxshot is far from over. Team tactics and having a variety of weapons on each team are only more valuable now.

Now for the quoted comment above. I'm really not a nice person so I'm just gonna say it; Dux, you have a lot to learn. In my opinion positioning is EXTREMELY important in Nerf. I think the difference is that you're used to taking a defensive position where as in Nerf you want a more offensive position. Cover is great, but you also want to have room to move, dodge, and charge in if the opportunity presents itself. The Horsemen are planning on hosting a war sometime in late September, early October and I'd really like to see you there. We'll put you through the paces and show you how the game is played. If you're really lucky we might even throw you to Vacc and have him show you a few things Piccolo-style.

In closing, Apoc got me excited about Nerf again which is probably the best thing that can be said about any Nerf War. I really haven't been this enthusiastic in a while and I think the game is really going to move in a positive direction with the addition of these new blaster. I hope everyone else had as great time as I did and I look forward to seeing you all at NJNO: Deal.

Top 3 Moments of the day:
3) Jake's ninja-backstab of Ash and Dylan.
2) OMC x3 Spirit Cheer
1) The look on your faces as we emerged from the brush and unleashed our fury!

Edited by Famine, 07 August 2006 - 11:56 AM.

~Famine
of Mag-7
East Coast Nerf 2005: Step It Up.
East Coast Nerf 2006: That's more like it.
East Coast Nerf 2007: I'm not driving to Massachusetts again.
East Coast Nerf 2008: Day of Regret.
East Coast Nerf 2009: Quid pro quo, douchebags!

#7 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 08:57 AM

Awesome war. I was really impressed by some of the new guys, and all the old favorites showed up in force; Matt and the One-Man were absolutely tagging people from range all day. Good to see everyone refreshed and excited to be there again.

The Long shots were pretty badass, they deffinately add another dimension to the games. They're still not as accurate or reliable a long range weapon as a crossbow or max shot, but they really let you pull off charges and raids with uncanny ease (may finally be time to put Binky out to studd). The best teams will need both weapons to succeed.

Anyway, I had a blast, and kicked sufficient ass (horsemen hadn't really nerfed in about a year, till now) to satisfy my nerf longings for the time being. We need to get a deal war this fall to bookend the summer perfectly.

VACC

#8 One Man Clan

One Man Clan

TOFTS

• Contributors
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 05:13 PM

First Armageddon..........

Then the Fucking HORSEMAN invade Apoc..........

This has been the best Nerf season I have ever been a part of.

I had just as much if not more fun at APOC than I did out in SoCal. I did however fuck up my right foot something fierce. It's been killing me all day. I've been limping around the office all day. If I stay healthy, the upcoming MA war will be insane.

And then something at DEAL? Jesus Christ.

APOC was awesome. I'm pretty sure that's obvious to see in all of our posts. I can't wait to get myself a Longshot and a WORKING Magstrike. There isn't much else I can say that hasn't already been said.

Edited by One Man Clan, 07 August 2006 - 07:28 PM.

I hate you.

#9 TED

TED

In Brightest Prawn, in Darkest Shrimp...

• Administrators
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 07:19 PM

Apoc was just unbelievable, I don't think I have ever had as much fun as I did yesterday. The Horseman are just insane and just brought the war to another level. It was awesome meeting Matt, Chris and the Horseman and it was great seeing Paul, Kevin, Andy and Hersh again. Also Famine no fair I want to be trained by Vacc Piccolo style too.

I cannot wait for the next war!

EDIT: Badge not to be pushy but could you put some of the pics up for now until you finish the video?

Triangle of Fat

Edited by Dark Shrimp, 08 August 2006 - 01:39 AM.

Star Wars can go fuck itself.

#10 Kuhlschrank

Kuhlschrank

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 09:14 PM

After reading this thread and talking to Hersh, you have no idea how pissed off I am that I missed this to be in the god-forsaken Outer Banks. Sounds like it was fucking awesome. If we get another war in the area before the end of August, I am most definately gonna be there, with my own Longshot that I've been working on since Thursday. If we need to wait until fall, then I'll be home the weekend of October 7-10 for Fall Break. Eitherway, I so wish I could have made this.
+Kuhlschrank+ of the ~Lawnchair Mafia~

#11 tenesee23

tenesee23

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 12:00 AM

Apoc was unbeleivable. My jaw drops merely thinking about it. I had so much fun. It was great to meet so many people. Everyone I met was so cool. With board names like Evil, Famine, and Death, you can never be sure what to expect, but I can gladly say all of the people I met at Apoc were some of the coolest people I know.

The Longshots were sick. It was crazy being stormed by the Horseman. We are all playing and BOOM! The horsemen storm in all with matching longshots owning everyone.

Chris and Matt were awesome awesome Nerfers, and it was an honour Nerfing with you. Chris could single-handedly rush the entire other team with his Longshot. And Matt was practically unrushable. He reloaded so fast, and he only had a single barrel, no speed loader.

I was also extremely amazed at how Joe used the Manta ray so efficiently. He would rapidly block like 4 shots with the Manta Ray, whilst popping out a hit with his dual NF's.

I could probably write a novel about how awesome everyone was, and how cool the war was, and I probably wouldnt adequately capture the war. SO awesome!

-tenesee23

Oh yea Hersh... Fatties for life!
Go Team FuckBuddy!

#12 badger

badger

The Walking Nerf-wiki

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 03:18 AM

Badge not to be pushy but could you put some of the pics up for now until you finish the video?

You're not being pushy, I'm just still recovering from the lack of sleep I had this weekend. I will post them here once I go through them all and know who is who. I didn't catch everyone's name and NH handle, especially the people that showed up after lunch, so rather than make a mistake and call someone by the wrong name, I will only post up those who I know a name for. This will happen tomorrow when I wake up. I'm still exhausted. Us old people need lots of sleep.

My knee is also swollen as hell, but I don't fucking care. I had the time of my life!!!
As Carbon once said,

"The moment you can no longer see the fun in running around like a little child is the moment you begin to die."

Roses are FF0000
Violets are 0000FF

#13 Evil

Evil

Fucking Copout

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 11:20 AM

From now on I want your parents to know my name is Matt. Being addressed as Evil is one of the most awkward things I've ever had to experience.

Can't wait for the next event, guys.

#14 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 05:23 PM

No matter.

It was good for Apoc to happen, since it swooshed you right back to NerfHaven.

Good to see you on the boards again, Evil...er..."Matt".

That's why it's good to have a pretty neutral sounding screen name like "Pineapple". Not much to be worried about, I think.

Besides, it was you who first called me "Piney" way back when. Now it stuck.

Hope to see you "Daemon" a Longshot, perhaps. I know I'm being influenced to get a few, just hearing how the Horsemen busted them out.

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#15 badger

badger

The Walking Nerf-wiki

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 07:32 AM

I tried to post the pictures up in the Gallery, but you need to register for it. I went ahead and did the registration process, but it said it would activate soon, so for the time being, here are the photos in my PhotoBucket account. Like I said before, I can't remember some names, so give me a hand and I'll edit the captions.

Photos from Apocalypse 2006

EDIT: Now I am going to work on editing the video. I don't have the software as of yet to add music, so it will just be a mixing of some of the more memorable moments from Apoc.

Edited by badger, 11 August 2006 - 06:40 AM.

As Carbon once said,

Roses are FF0000
Violets are 0000FF

#16 The Infinite Shindig

The Infinite Shindig

Arma-what-now?

• Contributors
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 07:25 PM

Badger, you need to fix something in the pictures. Every time you have someone listed as Talio, replace that with Vacc. Talio was not there, nor is he a member of the Four Horsemen.
Shindig of the Lawn Chair Mafia

<a href="http://www.albinobla.../flash/posting" target="_blank">Posting and You</a>

#17 badger

badger

The Walking Nerf-wiki

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 07:28 PM

Like I said, I couldn't remember some people's names. Chalk it up to an early occurance of senility. Thanks for the info. I'll correct it tonight.
As Carbon once said,

Roses are FF0000
Violets are 0000FF

#18 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 07:49 PM

...You sons of bitches.

"The most fun I've ever had in my life"

-Some kid

"The best event I've ever been to"

-Evil, I think

I wish I could've been there, I really do. Damn Ohio and its distance from NJ and consequently Apoc. I need one of those spiffy new wormhole generator thingies from QVC to get me there faster.
SexD Warves

#19 pat 1st Lt

pat 1st Lt

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 10:38 AM

Wow... Sounds really fun.

I wish I could've made it. I'm definatley setting aside the first weekend in August '07 (That's when it is, right? First weekend in August?)

And, Shinny (If I'm allowed to say that. Don't know if you being called that), who are the Four Horsemen. I can sort of guess by their names: Evil is the White Horsemen, Famine is the Black Horsemen, and Death is the Pale Horsemen, but who's the Red Horsemen? I don't think there's anyone here named "Bloodshed" "Prestillence" or "War"... So who's the second Rider? You've got the first, third, and fourth, or did one person just leave, but you still call yourselves the 'Four Horsemen'.

Also (Silly, silly question, I know) do you all have your guns painted accordingly? Like, is Evil's favorite gun painted White or something? Or is it a Bow'N'Arrow since the White rider carries a bow and wears a crown?

Yeah, I'm done with the stupid questions.

Looks like it was fun... I'm sorry I missed it, but the game was fun even though we lost, hanging around at the field afterwards was fun too, and the party up in the Adirondaks was a horrible drive to get to, but fun none the less.
QUOTE(euphemism) View Post
QUOTE(Pat) View Post

It gave the site a sort of 'homy' feeling.

Did you know that "m" can sometimes look like "rn" when read quickly?

#20 Kuhlschrank

Kuhlschrank

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 10:51 AM

Evil is not one of the Horsemen, He is a member of the LCM.
The Horsemen are Death, Famine, Ash, and Vacc.
+Kuhlschrank+ of the ~Lawnchair Mafia~

#21 pat 1st Lt

pat 1st Lt

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 10:55 AM

Oh.... Well, that's sort of misleading. Thanks for clearing it up, though. I wish I could've seen them just burst in on you all with Longshots. It sounds like it was pretty impressive.
QUOTE(Pat) View Post

#22 Famine

Famine

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:09 AM

And, Shinny (If I'm allowed to say that. Don't know if you being called that), who are the Four Horsemen. I can sort of guess by their names: Evil is the White Horsemen, Famine is the Black Horsemen, and Death is the Pale Horsemen, but who's the Red Horsemen? I don't think there's anyone here named "Bloodshed" "Prestillence" or "War"... So who's the second Rider? You've got the first, third, and fourth, or did one person just leave, but you still call yourselves the 'Four Horsemen'.

Also (Silly, silly question, I know) do you all have your guns painted accordingly? Like, is Evil's favorite gun painted White or something? Or is it a Bow'N'Arrow since the White rider carries a bow and wears a crown?

Shindig, I'm sure Pat is a great guy who's contributed plenty to this site but ban him. Just ban him before Vacc sees this post and all hell breaks loose. This is NOT going to end well for anyone. And no, we don't color coordinate our guns or roleplay the part or anything. Going to a Nerf war with a set of scales wouldn't really do me much good.

So based on the last few posts, The Horsemen now consist of Death, Evil Angel, Talio, and myself. I am so, so sad.

Edited by Famine, 10 August 2006 - 11:23 AM.

~Famine
of Mag-7
East Coast Nerf 2005: Step It Up.
East Coast Nerf 2006: That's more like it.
East Coast Nerf 2007: I'm not driving to Massachusetts again.
East Coast Nerf 2008: Day of Regret.
East Coast Nerf 2009: Quid pro quo, douchebags!

#23 Death

Death

Ass-Kicking Overlord

• Contributors
  • 226 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:26 AM

Good Lord! We haven't been out of the mix for THAT long....

About a decade ago, when we first officially called ourselves "The Horsemen," Vacc had already been a known presence on the Interweb in the sport of Nerf. As such, it would have been counter-intuitive to suddenly rename himself just because we adopted a new team identity. While Famine and I decided to make use of our Horsemen-counterpart names-- as we had no previous footing in the then-fledgling Nerf Internet Community. Ash was just a huge fan of bad movies, so he decided to combine the names of two of his favorite B-Movie heroes into his handle-- hence, AshPlisken.

So, just for future reference:
Vacc is War.
Famine is Famine.
Ash is Pestilence.
Death is Death.

DEATH

Let a man never stir on his road a step
without his weapons of war;
for unsure is the knowing when need shall arise
of a spear on the way without.  --Hávamál 38

#24 pat 1st Lt

pat 1st Lt

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:36 AM

Shindig, I'm sure Pat is a great guy who's contributed plenty to this site but ban him. Just ban him before Vacc sees this post and all hell breaks loose. This is NOT going to end well for anyone. And no, we don't color coordinate our guns or roleplay the part or anything. Going to a Nerf war with a set of scales wouldn't really do me much good.

So based on the last few posts, The Horsemen now consist of Death, Evil Angel, Talio, and myself. I am so, so sad.

I'm sorry! I didn't mean to do anything offensive! It's just that I've heard the name 'The Horsemen' before, but I didn't really know who they were. I was just trying to understand some Nerf history a bit better.

I didn't mean to offend anyone, and all I can say now is that I hope Vacc doesn't eat my face off while I'm sleeping, or something.

I should've searched first, but I didn't realize that asking just a simple question would get me banned. I'm sorry.
QUOTE(Pat) View Post

#25 One Man Clan

One Man Clan

TOFTS

• Contributors
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 12:06 PM

Chill dude, it's all good.
I hate you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users