Photo

Nf Mod Question

19 replies to this topic

#1 Lancaster

Lancaster

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 02:11 PM

I've just finished modding my Nite Finder, my second mod (I did a basic air limiter mod on my maverick). I did all the basics, hacked out the air restrictors, added a crayola barrel, banded it, and used a coping saw to remove the dart holders and LED 'sight'. The gun is much smaller now and more powerful. It can fire stefans, too.

I just have a few questions about the crayola barrel. I've run a power drill around the interior for what seems like a thousand times to make sure the barrel is hollowed out. But darts still seem to have a difficult time fitting. Stefans do okay, just a little more snug then I'd prefer, but micros don't fit at all. Should I hollow it out more? I'm afraid that I'm going to put a hole in the side of the barrel. I've left the barrel completely uncut, it's the exact length of the marker with the ends cut off. What do you think I should use to hollow out the barrel? I've got a dremel and a power drill, but I don't know how effective these are.

Also, when I fire stefans they fly erratically, spinning and flipping. I don't know if this is the quality of the darts or what. I'm using 2 1/4 inch long darts, with 1 1/2 inch long nails as weights. The hot glue domes usually look okay, so I don't think they're the problem.

Thanks for any help, I appreciate it.

#2 meiser5

meiser5

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 02:34 PM

You are using nails as weights? They are probably flying eratically because of that, listen if you want some half decent and easy to make darts look up how to make tack stephans. As for the Barrel we would probably need some pics to help you.

Meiser---- B)

Edited by meiser5, 02 August 2006 - 02:38 PM.

Account Suspension Notification

[DYE]Terminator[gen],
Your member account at NerfHaven has been temporarily suspended because I don't like you. Shindig doesn't like you either. You watch yourself, we're wanted men. I have the death sentence on 12 systems.
Talio---

#3 PiMpDaDdY

PiMpDaDdY

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 03:16 PM

www.randomencounter.net There is a good stefan tutorial. I followed that when I made my first ever batch of stefans and they fly great.
NerfMonkey:
I only ask because I'm thinking of trying these and it would suck if the balls got all covered with hairs after a while.

#4 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 04:03 PM

If you are using a Crayola brand marker, that's your problem. Crayola brand has one end narrower than the other, thus... being screwey.

All you have to do is find a different brand of marker; Roseart is probably the most common/cheapest one I can think of.

Also, make your darts between 3/4-1u1/2," and use BBs as weights. They'll work better and cost the same if not less than your "nails..." *shudders*

As a matter of fact, I would switch barrel materials, too. I don't feel like digging it up but I compared CPVC and marker prices in a thread somewhere, and -- if I remember correctly -- you get 8x more CPVC than marker for the same cost.
" Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Mr. Creedy. Beneath this mask there is an idea...
...and ideas are bulletproof. "
V

#5 TheVeg

TheVeg

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 04:14 PM

What I usally do for crayolas is use a dremel bit for plastic that is pretty smooth to clean the plastic fins and ridges then use rough grit sandpaper to make it wider, and then smooth sandpaper. since the NF is a spring gun you need some resistance for the spring to build up pressure. However, if micros don't fit in a all then you definetly can cut out the inside more. (if you are using crayola brand, or 'create like crazy', other markers I don't know their thickness) It sounds like your stefans are a little on the thin side so you might want to try 1/2" CPVC, which is tighter than brass.
Good luck modding,

KLM a.k.a. TheVeg
Vegetarians into Nerf results in n00bs being shot with carrots.

Captain KLM, founder, modder and dartsmith of the Michigan Nerf Mafia.

#6 NiteWalker

NiteWalker

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 04:21 PM

Im guessing your barrel is the problem and the nails in your stefans as everyone mentioned. Instead of using crayola, I use "Colorific Double-Ended Markers". I dont have to drill anything out of the barrel,so I can just use it as it is. My NF gets around 40'-45' flat without any rubberbands.

Edited by NiteWalker, 02 August 2006 - 05:41 PM.

NEW Write-up of the DTG/At3k:
Click here
Credit to Carrtoon for the mod.

"The mother of invention is need... Who doesn't have to pelt people with foam?"

#7 Lancaster

Lancaster

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 05:47 PM

Thanks for the advice with the Stefans, I'll go get some fishing weights.

About the barrel, I've got some 1/2 schedule 40 PVC lying around that I'm using to make a SNAP-1, but I don't know if it's cpvc or not. It seems too thick to fit on the gun, but the crayola fits inside perfectly. If I try to put a Stefan in, it goes straight through. Do you think it we be better just to use brass? Is the width 17/32, I think that's what I saw on another post...

Thanks for the help!

#8 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 06:01 PM

About the barrel, I've got some 1/2 schedule 40 PVC lying around that I'm using to make a SNAP-1, but I don't know if it's cpvc or not. It seems too thick to fit on the gun, but the crayola fits inside perfectly. If I try to put a Stefan in, it goes straight through.

Nope, what you just described is half inch PVC, not CPVC. Half inch CPVC is smaller than half inch PVC (go figure) and is putty brown. It can be a very good barrel material, depending on the size of your darts.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#9 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 09:19 PM

"Is the width 17/32, I think that's what I saw on anoth..."

NO. STOP. Y'see, that's how I got screwed over. I saw 9/16ths on some thread somewhere, and did that to all my guns, and then had to make darts to fit the barrels. Bad idea.

What you need to do before you touch any of your guns is take one of your stefans to the hardware store, and put it through things to see what best fits YOUR DARTS. Don't ask what fits other people's darts. Even if you use the same size FBR, it could be a different brand, expand more/less in your dryer, etc. etc. YOUR DARTS.

In case you're wondering what the perfect fit is, put your dart in something. If it's perfect, it will move if you push or blow on it but not on it's own. The easier it moves when pressured and the more it stays put otherwise, the better the fit.

Edited by Flaming Hilt, 02 August 2006 - 09:19 PM.

" Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Mr. Creedy. Beneath this mask there is an idea...
...and ideas are bulletproof. "
V

#10 Lancaster

Lancaster

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 04:21 PM

Alright, thanks a million for the help guys. I went in to ACE and got some 9/16 brass ($10????). I've run in to some trouble with the barrel, much more so than with the crayola barreled one I already have (I got another NF I'm planning on trying this out on). What would you recommend I use to bond the brass to the plastic piece that goes on front of the plunger? I tried hot glue, no dice. The barrel came right off.

Another thing, should the suction cup on front of micros fit inside the barrel or stick out of it? The crayola barrel I have on my other nitefinder is much tighter, so I'm worried that I won't get as much distance out of the brass because of the looser fit.

I really appreciate the help, as I am but a lowly n00b.

#11 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 04:57 PM

The suction cup on stocks should stick out.
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#12 Team Slaya

Team Slaya

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 09:24 AM

We were all lowly n00bs at this at one time or another, lancaster. :lol:

Anyways, on to the issues. Hot glue has always worked for me on NFs, I've never had to do anything drastic like epoxy or plumbers goop or anything. Hot glue it, make sure it's straight, and set it somewhere. Then when it's dry in like 3 minutes or so, wrap some electrical or duct tape around it for hold. It really shouldn't fall off, I did this with an uber crappy glue gun once and it worked.

By the way, there's a way to take a better advantage of yor guns when you're modding them. Since spring guns release air slower than air guns, a tighter barrel fit works so that pressure builds up behind the dart while it is held for the split second, allowing it to have more force behind the shot. This is the opposite in air guns; you want to have a looser fit because air guns release air pretty fast.

So, the point of this? If the 9/16ths is a slightly loose fit for your darts, cool. Use it on air guns. You might want to consider a slightly smaller barrel size, like 17/32, to make a tighter fit for said reasons. But this doesn't mean that you -have- to use that size. Some people on the haven use 1/2" brass. It's up to your darts, really.

Hope this helps.

TS

#13 Lancaster

Lancaster

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 03:04 PM

Wow, thanks for the tip!

So the hot glue works fine on brass? I wouldn't think so, but maybe I'll just try again.

I'm testing my crayola Nite Finder for ranges, and I've noticed something strange. First of all, the arch of the gun is incredibly steep. If I fire at a sliding glass door 20 feet away, the dart will hit about 3 feet above where I'm aiming. But after the peak, the dart drops very quickly.

Another thing is that if I angle the gun up even a little, say... 5 degrees, there seems not only to be a huge increase in distance, but in power as well. It's scary to see the thing fired at a 15 foot away target when aimed up a little. I can fire at a mirror at a distance of 15 feet and the thing will almost fall of the wall. But when fired flat, it seems much less powerful.

Also, when fired outdoors the gun gets about half the distance, or it would seem so (I can't find my tape measure). Maybe it's just perspective, but the gun is frightening indoors and timid outdoors.

Thanks for the help, you guys are great!

(p.s. I think it's a small accomplishment that after typing this entire post, I clicked the Google spellcheck feature on my toolbar and it proclaimed: "no spelling errors identified!")

#14 NiteWalker

NiteWalker

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 03:21 PM

Your NF is really odd. Was there any winds outside when you tested it? If so, it might explain why it didn't or doesn't go far. The big arch might be just because your barrel is not on straight or something. Oh, and if you shoot stock darts I think 17/32 brass would've been a better choice unless your darts are bigger than usual.

EDIT- The wind might also make your dart go further.

Edited by NiteWalker, 06 August 2006 - 06:10 PM.

NEW Write-up of the DTG/At3k:
Click here
Credit to Carrtoon for the mod.

"The mother of invention is need... Who doesn't have to pelt people with foam?"

#15 Lancaster

Lancaster

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 05:27 PM

Hmmm..There seemed to be a slight wind at the time I fired it. The darts always go longer than any open areas in my house, so I need to go to a gym or something. And I also need to get a hold of a tape measure.

I'm just really surprised at the amount of power and distance angling seems to add. I went out and fire a flat shot in my backyard and counted the paces it took to get to the dart. It took 46 paces, and my feet are 10" long each. I'm not going to bother with the math, but I think I got some good distance for firing in the wind.

Oh, and the brass I got seems to fit stock. I just need to get some BBs or fishing weights when my mom isn't looking, I left a welt on my brother's arm when I fired a stefan at him at medium range. I really think i need to stop using nails as weights...

Edited by Lancaster, 06 August 2006 - 05:29 PM.

#16 shortydrummer21

shortydrummer21

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 06:03 PM

you wouldn't happen to be from lakeland fl would you?

#17 Lancaster

Lancaster

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 03:26 PM

Yes, how did you know?

#18 shortydrummer21

shortydrummer21

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 09:20 PM

i'm bryce's friend in atl. that showed him nerf....

#19 Lancaster

Lancaster

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 08:01 PM

Sorry if this post is considered 'dead' but I wasn't able to post for a while.

I just didn't want to start a new topic or anything for what may be considered a n00b question.

What is a pvc coupler? Is it like a bushing? I've seen this discussed and don't quite understand. Is a coupler used to screw different barrels into a gun?

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it.

#20 Ch3470B4Nd170

Ch3470B4Nd170

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 05:19 PM

What is a pvc coupler? Is it like a bushing? I've seen this discussed and don't quite understand. Is a coupler used to screw different barrels into a gun?

well lancaster, pvc couplings are double sided female pieces of pvc that you glue the male ends of two pipes into. thus extending the length and making one long pipe.

example...
Posted Image
Posted Image

i hope i answered your question.

Oh crap. Sorry for reviving a dead post. I'll try not to let it happen again.

Edited by Ch3470-B4Nd170!, 06 September 2006 - 06:10 PM.

-7h3 Ch3470 B4Nd170

“We are living in a world today where lemonade is made from artificial flavors and furniture polish is made from real lemons.”

"Political speeches are like steer horns. A point here, a point there, and a lot of bull in between.”

-Alfred E. Neuman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users