Carrtoon's Bolt Action Breech

A clip compatable breech

22 replies to this topic

#1 Carrtoon

Carrtoon

• Contributors
  • 289 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 06:47 PM

I've had this idea for a while, and finally got around to trying it out. It's remarkably similar to the Longshot breech, but it gets an almost perfect seal. Here is the blown apart pic:

Posted Image

The male part of the breech where the dart falls onto and the o-ring on the very back:

Posted Image

The female part:

Posted Image

Fitting together:

Posted Image

The outer body:

Posted Image

The closed breech:

Posted Image

The open breech:

Posted Image

The fully open breech looking into the barrel:

Posted Image

The fully open breech looking out the back of the barrel. The lathed aluminum stops the dart and pushes it into the barrel:

Posted Image

And the video showing how it works:

Attached to the titan firing through a cardboard box

It works absolutely perfectly. The male part of the breech is pushed past the edge of the casing, adding to the seal. It uses only PVC and CPVC. I precision lathed down the pieces to fit better than brass. I used the dremel to custom cut the male and female parts, as well as the bolt hole. As soon as I get my crossbow coupler back on, it will be the new reciever of this attachment.

Question: Has this been done before?

Edited by Carrtoon, 04 August 2006 - 06:50 PM.

When beauty breaks the spell of pain
The bludgeoned heart shall burst in vain
But not when love be pointed king
And truth shall Thee forever reign

#2 tcorr911

tcorr911

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 07:59 PM

I did the exact same thing but simpler for a homemade, but it just didn't work in the end so I never posted it.
Bolt, ye are truly a god among men. Ye have earned yeself a place on Enigma's list of heroes, right below Sean Connery and directly above Papa Smurf...a highly honorable slot indeed.
-Enigma1313

#3 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 08:00 PM

Nice carrtoon looks very effective! Uhh something similar to this has been done before I believe, to answer your question.
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#4 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 08:04 PM

I did a breech with CPVC and PVC, but it just used a bolt to push a long barrel forward, and then you had to pull the barrel back so it really didn't help ROF that much. It worked decently, but wasn't very clean or effective.

Your breech is far superior to mine, and I can't think of any other breeches done with CPVC and PVC. That's a nice creation.
SexD Warves

#5 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 08:07 PM

The closest I'm aware of that uses something like this is Boltsniper's breech on his BS-9.

Otherwise, what you have there is pretty damn original.

I love it.

I have to make it out to at least ONE of the wars you're attending to see some of these monstrosities.

~ompa

#6 trogdor65

trogdor65

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 11:48 PM

Thats a sweet breech Carrtoon! Simple and satisfying.

#7 Carrtoon

Carrtoon

• Contributors
  • 289 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 12:29 AM

Thanks guys. It may look simple to some, but it isn't at all. I went through 3 tries and spent a total of about 15 hours on this before I got a working one. The cpvc has to be lathed down perfectly to be able to slide the breech in and out somewhat easily and still keep the seal. Fitting the two ends, male and female, made it even tougher. Those pieces had to fit snug, but not too snug or they would stick and make it almost impossible to pull back and shut when it was put into the PVC casing.

Some may be wondering if you need a perfect seal on the male and female parts. You don't. It should be close, but as you can see from the close up pics, the female end is offset in the PVC by about a centimeter. This allows the pieces to come together inside of the PVC casing instead of on the edge of the breech cut. The seal is great do to that and the o-ring that works behind the bolt.

Some may also want to know why I have the fingers joining in the breech. When a dart drops down from a clip, the dart will land on the two fingers. This allows you to just push the bolt forward instead of having to physically push the dart into the barrel. With brass, you may have jamming darts because the brass transition isn't completely flush. This eliminates that factor because the material is the same size. I can't wait to try a clip! This works so nice I may even be able to use gravity instead of a spring fed clip. The clip also won't have to be air tight. Update soon!

#8 murakumo32

murakumo32

• Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 12:40 AM

I like how you got past the jamming, I did something similar to that.

What I did was simply take 2 pieces of cpvc, take my dremel, and thin the inside walls of the cpvc. It gradually flows into the regular ID of the cpvc and the dart can't load any smoother.
Nerfing, now fortified with vitamin C!
-or-
100% Nerf, for 100% pwnage.

Nerf is a neutral weapons dealer. Anyone coughing up the dough can get armed.

and they're made of Foam... which makes them very Nerfy...

#9 Carrtoon

Carrtoon

• Contributors
  • 289 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 12:46 AM

Yep, I did the same thing with the female end. If you look in the 8th picture down, you can see that I dremeled it so the dart would fit it nicely. I also plan to dremel down the top of the male end so darts wouldn't get caught as the breech closed. I guess wood would be the best clip material, eh?

#10 echo104b

echo104b

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 07:49 PM

I look at this and i cant help but think that it's the exact same thing as the Longshot Breech.

You get Mega Bonus points for replicating this tho! i think with this i could do a CPVC Mod vor the Longshot.

Great job!

No more special darts to be affraid of losing :D
"I Am Become Death. Destroyer of Worlds"
- J. Robert Oppenheimer (Upon the first successfull detonation of an atomic bomb)

#11 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 09:09 PM

I would try to build a clip out of aluminum, since you can get it fairly easily, and its light and sturdy.

#12 Carrtoon

Carrtoon

• Contributors
  • 289 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 10:20 PM

Aluminum would have been nice, but my dad's arc welder just blew an expensive board, so I just used a cheap tape case. Here are some videos:

Clip fitting and loading

Emptying the clip

The last shot looks like the dart jammed, but the barrel actually fell off of the crossbow from the vibrations. The crossbow isn't modded with a spring or bungees in the videos, but I can assure you, I can even get a video if you want me to prove it, that the bungeed crossbow with this breech can almost shoot through cardboard. I'm very happy with the results.

#13 WratH

WratH

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 12:09 AM

Looks great, but what's with the music?
Death be not proud. Though some have called the mighty and dreadful... Thou art not so.

#14 Carrtoon

Carrtoon

• Contributors
  • 289 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 04:31 PM

Haha! Just trying WMM out. Wish I had this for SPANO...

#15 Ronster

Ronster

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 08:42 AM

Are you putting the darts in the clip backwards?
-I Nerf, there for I am.

QUOTE(baghead @ Oct 25 2006, 09:55 AM) View Post
Ronster reminded me that I should have warned you all Prepare your Bladder for Imminent Release!!!!

#16 Carrtoon

Carrtoon

• Contributors
  • 289 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 09:27 AM

Nope. Those are my Flintstone darts. I trim down the back of the dart to prevent jamming. Oh, and they shoot 100' further because they have no drag ;) . Sarcasm *cough*

#17 Ronster

Ronster

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 06:17 PM

How do the darts not jam?
I can understand with brass, 'cause the brass is so thin that it just slips between the darts...
But CPVC is thicker then that...

Posted Image
-I Nerf, there for I am.

Ronster reminded me that I should have warned you all Prepare your Bladder for Imminent Release!!!!

#18 elf avec gun

elf avec gun

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 02:00 PM

Did you use something as a guide to make your lines that thick and if so what?
"It's hard to imagine a more specific subset of nerd than our community. One day we shall be studied by a single sociologist whom the other sociologists will mock incessantly." ~VACC

Got Nerd?

#19 Ronster

Ronster

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 03:07 PM

Are you asking about my picture?
-I Nerf, there for I am.

#20 General Cole

General Cole

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:12 PM

Sweet, I have been thinking on making a clip for my X-bow, only like a EE clip (kind of). I might be able to do this because that is the only kind of barrelling that I have here. Here is what it will look like-
Posted Image

Edited by General Cole, 05 September 2006 - 09:40 PM.

We should stop calling out/making fun of/pissing GC off. He's actually contributed and is available for trade. He's a better than average member no doubt. Got your back Cole.
-Nerfer34

You know what... I know it's kinda late... but Props Cole.
-Baghead

#21 SG Pilot

SG Pilot

• Members
  • 281 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 09:19 PM

Must say that your breech plus Forsaken_Angel's Angel Bow inspired me to make a breech myself. How did you get the male and female parts to fit together real nicely? I mean how did you cut the peices?
QUOTE(VACC @ Oct 9 2009, 04:45 AM) View Post

I know, I HATE toy guns that are made for little kids!

#22 elf avec gun

elf avec gun

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 06:39 PM

Are you asking about my picture?

No. Actually I was asking Carrtoon. Sorry 'bout that one. :blink:
"It's hard to imagine a more specific subset of nerd than our community. One day we shall be studied by a single sociologist whom the other sociologists will mock incessantly." ~VACC

Got Nerd?

#23 General Cole

General Cole

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 06:49 PM

Now, megas or micros, and could you put up data on exact ODs and IDs? Clip dimensions and such. I would also reccommend having less dead space between the end of the plunger tube and where the dart contacts. Oh also, can I buy one of those drill bit casings that you used in you Ls Carrtoon?
We should stop calling out/making fun of/pissing GC off. He's actually contributed and is available for trade. He's a better than average member no doubt. Got your back Cole.
-Nerfer34

You know what... I know it's kinda late... but Props Cole.
-Baghead

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users