Molokai's Improvised Nerf War And Party

5 replies to this topic

#1 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 07:29 PM

Geeze, I didn't really have anything resembling a Nerf war since Christmas when some family came over and got a primer in Nerfing...and now we have several new Nerf fans. But nothing since then, other than a couple of 3 on 3s, and some moving target practice with the kids (shooting each other in drills, etc.)

Until Sunday.

A friend of mine, who in addition to being a worship (music) pastor at a local church, does Youth ministry. He called me a couple days ahead and asked if he could do a "Nerf Party" (he knows about my addiction) at our place.

I panicked. Most of my rental fleet (6 NiteFinders, 4 AT2ks) were working, but I had very few Stefans. A friend had brought two bags of 1/2" FBR on his last visit, and I had cut about 60 foam cores, but hadn't glued them up.

He said, "No worry, brah. My assistant is in Honolulu, and we're pickin' up some arsenal. What you recommend?"

My eyes lit up. :) DART TAG!

But their budget wouldn't allow 5 complete DT sets. So...I said, "anything that shoots darts should be fine, but try to find NiteFinders or EX-3s. I can modify those for ya."

So then, Sunday came, I had the hall all cleaned up and ready. They arrived....at first my jaw dropped.

Their new arsenal consisted of:

6 Mavericks

4 Reactors (yes, ball blasters).

"This'll work", I said. I brought out my Nite Finder fleet and we had enough for an 8 on 8. 20 kids total, all highschoolers, kissing the summer goodbye in one foamy afternoon. I had a foosball machine and air hockey set up for those who couldn't Nerf at the time.

Posted Image
Of course, we always, ALWAYS start with a briefing, house rules, game rules, and a prayer.

Posted Image
Here's the arsenal. That NF with red marker on it? It was trashed by a kid who came to summer camp. He heard that I fix up Nerf "guns", so he brought it just for me! How nice. I'll write up later how I fixed it (there were some parts missing, and some common items brought it back to life...with some sting!)

Posted Image
It was fun watching the girls picking weapons like they were picking out jeans at the clothing store or something. They were both frightened and pumped up to do some shootin'.

Posted Image
My buddy donned the familiar yellow vest, and the teams split up. It later became the "shoot the guy in the yellow vest" kind of game.

Posted Image
It took but a couple of minutes before everyone knew how to work whatever weapons they chose, and it was off to the races!

Posted Image
The setup worked pretty good; I took every other row of chairs, and flipped them over the previous row, making nice wide aisles to shoot from and across. The upside-down chair legs helped to deflect many shots, while causing ricochets to hit other people unintentionally. It was hilarious.

Posted Image
The way we play, standoffs are almost nonexistent, and to play with church kids meant that the honor system was a no-brainer. Most of the skirmishes took less than 5 minutes each to complete.

Posted Image
I didn't even have to ask if anyone was having fun.

Posted Image
They were going to hold me hostage unless I scheduled another day of Nerfing, probably around Halloween (as an alternative to acting like a spook).

We then had a pool party, but there's no photos of that. Sorry. Trust me, we had fun. The CLEAN KIND. Geeze, my wife and kids were there too.

Some observations;

1) I noticed that everyone gravitated to the Mavericks first, the Reactors second. Even though the NiteFinder could throw stock darts 45-50 feet, the new Nerfers preferred firepower over Magnum power. One girl kept her NF the whole time and picked people off from the corner...until she got "balled" by the Reactor squad. :D

2) I have a new respect for ball blasters in wars. It is absolutely HILARIOUS to hear four Reactors going off like there was no tomorrow; all balls in the air in less than three seconds. They bounce all over the place and kill randomly. The honor system works well with ball blasters.

3) Stock blasters work well for indoor war. I should have known that, but hey, I'm a modder, so that's a given.

4) Cool pool water after 10-12 rounds of Nerfing is refreshing. Especially during our hot season here.

I think I'm going to pick up some Dart Tag sets, my kids have all their money saved for two Magstrikes (I still didn't get the one I ordered online), and to One Man Clan...sorry! I still want the "you know whats" if you didn't sell them yet. I'll PM you about something else you might have also. I just spent $500 bucks on a replacement motor for my golf cart (my lifesaver at work), so I'll crank up the "disposable income" machine again.

Yeah, but a good day that Sunday was.

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#2 pat 1st Lt

pat 1st Lt

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 07:53 PM

I like the abreviation.

You should have replaced 'party' with 'X-treme!', so the abbreviation would have been 'Minwax'. Maybe I'm the only person who immediatley thought of that when I read the title, but it was too good to pass up.

Actually, when I first read the title and saw "Pineapple" below it, I thought you'd conjured up a home-made. You got me all excited...

Anyway, 8v8? Sounds amazing! Did you play, or were you the 'old guy with a camera' on the sidelines?

Yeah, ball guns can be fun indoors. Especially with all the ricochets. The most fun I had with a ball-gun was with our modded Rip-Saw. It's got an extended feed-tube that holds fourty balls, and I ground down this 'restrictor' of sorts to make it full auto. It can fill a room with bouncing balls in about three seconds. It's really, really fun. I can see you guys had an awesome time.

And yeah, I can see why so many people gravitated twoards the Mavericks. In terrain like that, you'd want more than the one shot a Nite-Finder can deliver. Also, you said you had some AT2K's in your fleet: I didn't see any pics of anyone using them? Or did you not want to hand them out because it was indoors and they were modded?

If you do ever get some DTGs, or Crossfires, or Magstrikes for that upcoming Halloween nerf-out, do get some pictures up! That'd be amazing to see how the 'gimmic' works out (The whole velcro marking system thing).

Wow... I wish I could've been there. It looks like it was great.

Sincereley,
Pat
QUOTE(euphemism) View Post
QUOTE(Pat) View Post

It gave the site a sort of 'homy' feeling.

Did you know that "m" can sometimes look like "rn" when read quickly?

#3 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 10:08 PM

Looks like you guys had a lot of fun. I would also suggest changing the name because as soon as I read the acronym it reminded me of this short Italian guy I work with.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#4 warx

warx

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 01:25 AM

I like the abreviation.

It's actually an acronym, too, because 'MINWAP' can be considered a word.

These types of wars (or Nerfing Gigs) are probably some of the most enjoyable you'll ever participate in, due to its casualness and just overall 'having fun' nature.

And it's amazing how Reactors can be used effectively as long as they're in large packs, eh?
The perfect signature does not exsist.

#5 Jangadance

Jangadance

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 03:24 AM

Never underestimate a well-orchestrated ballgun rush!

Looks like a fun war Piney, glad we're both getting our share of foam'ns. Good eats!
"The 'dance goes on..."

#6 The Infinite Shindig

The Infinite Shindig

Arma-what-now?

• Contributors
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 02:47 PM

After playing indoors in close quarters over the winter, I came to a shocking discovery. Luckily, Piney seems to have noticed the same thing that I did a while ago. When East Coast rules apply, a ball gun can totally own someone carrying a single/dual NiteFinder(s).

I'll let that settle, because most of the outdoor people won't believe me.

Indoors ROF rules. It's that simple. When people rush you with a ball gun, you only have one shot to deter them and there is nowhere to run. They on the other hand have multiple shots. Obviously, it is a whole lot easier to defend yourself under West Coast rules, but East Coast changes things entirely.

In short:

West Coast rules by in large favor distance.
East Coast rules by in large favor ROF.

But all of you already knew that. B)

Make it an invitational next year Piney!
Shindig of the Lawn Chair Mafia

<a href="http://www.albinobla.../flash/posting" target="_blank">Posting and You</a>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users