my cosmetic mod

7 replies to this topic

#1 Arcanum

Arcanum

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 10:01 PM

Posted Image

I guess you could say this about alot of b.b. guns or nerf guns, but I think that the BuzzBee rapid fire rifle has a striking resemblance to the Browning Automatic Rifle.

The B.A.R. shown above is just a rubberband gun, but in actuallity it is quite similar to the real B.A.R. (used in WWI, WWII, and Korea *I think?* for those who don't know)

B.A.R. real pic

Tomorrow I'm going to do some cosmetic mods to make it resemble the B.A.R. even more. I'm going to spray paint majority of the gun metallic brownish and attach that scope just for kicks (from chewbaccas bowcaster). I'm also going to triangulate the bottom of the clip so it follows the form of the BAR. If I find the time and materials I will also attempt to create a wooden appearance for the foregrip and butt of the rifle.

Will update with pics tomorrow.
Universtiy of Illinois Fighting Illini

#2 davenelz

davenelz

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • State:Florida

Posted 29 July 2006 - 01:02 AM

Or it looks like a winchester repeater circa 19th century...

with a clip because dart guns lack the technology to side load.

yeah, that's about it.

#3 Arcanum

Arcanum

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 11:23 AM

Well I ran out of my brown metallic spray paint so I just two toned it with metallic gold and jet black.

This is my first real nerf gun paint job so tell me what you all think and if I should adapt more to look like a bar.

Posted Image

#4 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 02:53 PM

Here, if you check this thread out, you'll see that Joeyaglr444 did a mod to his RFR that, when I first saw it, thought of the B.A.R.

Posted Image
There it is.

I don't exactly know what he did to remove the lever and convert the loading to bolt-action, but the result was asthetically pleasing, being that the RFR isn't all that it's cracked up to be.

But if it floats your boat, by all means, go for it. Nice paint job, by the way.

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#5 Arcanum

Arcanum

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 09:42 PM

did Joey's mod, all I have to do now is refinish the paint on the front.

pvc in barrel and bolt action as you can see
also added chewbaccas scope

Posted Image

#6 LastManAlive

LastManAlive

• Members
  • 686 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 10:29 PM

The BAR in real life is very wide. It is almost to bulky of a gun to use fully automiatically to me. Luck has it that I fired one at a trip to texas once, and they are very difficult to use in my opinion.

I also don't think that they had the BAR in WWI. They had just came out with a rotating fired mg then, no mobile auto weapon yet. And Korea may have been the very last sight of the BAR. The thompson made more a seen there, with groupins of 3 troops armed with a thompson and 1 with the BAR thanks to the history channel.

It does resemble the BAR very similarly, and I give it credit for it being a toy gun in that fact. Yet, I am going to say that it as not similar to it either. I am indifferent in this case.
He came, He saw, and he conquered... But where did everyone go?

#7 pat 1st Lt

pat 1st Lt

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 10:03 AM

Posted Image

If you really wanted it to look like a BAR, and were willing to put in a lot of effort, I'd suggest:

Taking off your scope

Making iron sights, and attaching them

Making and attaching a Carrying handle

Making and hinging a buttplate

Making that PVC barrel longer

Drilling some spiraled holes in the end of the barrel as a 'flash supressor'

Putting your bolt handle on the shooters left side (Which might be hard to do, since you currentley have it on the shooters right...)

Taking some cheap wood and carving it out to fit over the front grip, and staining it a nice color

Putting two sling-swivels and a sling on it

Making a detachable bipod (Actually not that hard, with PVC. The attachment point should be bigger than your barrel PVC, so the bipod attachment can just slip right over it.)

Oh, and how could I forget, slanting the magazine.

Do all that, and do a nice paintjob, and this would be the coolest looking Nerf blaster out there. However, I wouldn't recommend ever playing with it because 1) It'd look too real, 2) It'd be too heavy to really play with, 3) If done well, the barrel will be too long to be effective, and 4) If you put that much time and effort into it, you don't want to do break it during play.

I doubt that you'll do all the things I mentioned, but even if you just did a couple, it'd add a lot to the BAR-ness of your RFR.

Sincereley,
Pat
QUOTE(euphemism) View Post
QUOTE(Pat) View Post

It gave the site a sort of 'homy' feeling.

Did you know that "m" can sometimes look like "rn" when read quickly?

#8 Arcanum

Arcanum

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 02:52 PM

Took alot of your advice Pat. Thanks for the help.

whole gun:
Posted Image

rear iron site: (haven't fixed up the e-tape yet so cut me some slack)
Posted Image

front iron site:
Posted Image
Done:
Carrying Handle added.
Bipod for front added.
Front and Rear ironsights added (based off of call of duty 2 B.A.R.)
Barrel Extended (not yet functional, have to get a longer pvc barrel)
I did drill some flash suppresors but ended up covering them with e-tape, will fix when I add new barrel.

I am going to:
Switch Bolt side
slant magazine
sling

Maybes:
Buttplate
Wood Grip

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users