11 replies to this topic

#1 davidbowie

davidbowie

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 03:40 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

This gun began while I was thinking about what to do after the Thing. One of the first things that came to mind was to condense a Relocated Clothespin trigger as much as possible so as to conceal it inside the grip, making for a much cleaner appearance with very little extra work. I also started looking at revolver-style drum mags, and how simple the zig-zag mechanisms were to advance them. I figured it wouldn't be too hard to make one myself.

My original plan was to make a GNS-like blaster with the concealed clothespin (actually, this is still in the works), and add a revolver cylinder to the original Thing. This, however, all changed when I got a large chunk of carbon fiber for free. I decided to make a custom gun frame with cool internals, so I combined the concealed clothespin and revolving cylinder, with a Foam-Head plunger and a pump-action linkage to charge the gun and rotate the cylinder simultaneously. Another thing I tried out was a homemade N-strike rail. It's a surprisingly simple shape. I have yet to see if the carbon fiber holds its shape enough to work well, though. It would probably be easier to just carve one out of PVC or wood.

You can also see a strap attachment point at the bottom of the stock and in front of the rail.

Posted Image

There's the grip and trigger, plus the N-strike rail on top, and a view of the charging arm. Two halved PVC spars extend back from the pump handle and attach to a reducing bushing which fits around the plunger rod. They push the plunger back, then return forward with the handle.

Posted Image

A shot of the pump handle.

Posted Image

Yup, only 3 barrels. I could have made more, but 3 fit nicely inside 1 1/4" PVC, and I like the look of one continuous pipe, so I kept it down to 3.

Posted Image

These are the forms on the gun, before the carbon-fiber wrap.

Edited by davidbowie, 22 July 2006 - 03:45 PM.

Check out the all-new DBNerf. The source for all your DBNeeds.

#2 Master Yogurt

Master Yogurt

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 03:46 PM

Very cool, but I do wish that your pictures weren't so blurry. Amazing job with the trigger, though. Looks excellent.
Come to PANO!

You'll take my life but I'll take yours too
You'll fire your musket but I'll run you through
So when you're waiting for the next attack
You'd better stand there's no turning back. The Trooper

#3 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 04:37 PM

Ya looks like you did an amazing job, but I really can't see the finished product..... Your pics are a lttle blurry
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#4 davidbowie

davidbowie

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 04:59 PM

Camera phone...

In fact, I finally got a working digital camera the other day, so I'll see what I can do.

#5 elf avec gun

elf avec gun

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 08:01 PM

Thats a really neat stock design :P
"It's hard to imagine a more specific subset of nerd than our community. One day we shall be studied by a single sociologist whom the other sociologists will mock incessantly." ~VACC

Got Nerd?

#6 SgtSniper

SgtSniper

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 01:04 PM

One word. Awesome...

#7 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 06:05 PM

EDIT: Never mind, I get it now.

Anyways, very nice design; and do put that new camera to good use! I doubt the camera phone is doing justice to how the thing actually looks.

~ompa

#8 elf avec gun

elf avec gun

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 08:54 PM

So wait what did you use for the stock?
"It's hard to imagine a more specific subset of nerd than our community. One day we shall be studied by a single sociologist whom the other sociologists will mock incessantly." ~VACC

Got Nerd?

#9 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 10:53 PM

Wait so the barrel is like a 3 barreled pump action AT2K turret? Or does it shoot 3 darts at once?

#10 Master Yogurt

Master Yogurt

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 09:42 PM

It's a revolver - hence the "Rev-3" name. That stock is absolutely amazing. Is that just PVC? It's hard to tell in the picture what that's made of, but it's really, really cool. The design sort of reminds me of the Firefly, actually, except a bit sleeker and quite a bit cooler.
Come to PANO!

You'll take my life but I'll take yours too
You'll fire your musket but I'll run you through
So when you're waiting for the next attack
You'd better stand there's no turning back. The Trooper

#11 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 11:30 AM

Very, very nice. I hope that new camera works for you, I can't wait to see better pics of this.

What I'm most interested in is the revolver mechanism. Is there a spring being used to force the barrel around, or does it purely work on lever action? How are you lining up your barrel with your PC? And even more importantly, how are you maintaining a good seal once you get it rotated in place?
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#12 davidbowie

davidbowie

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 06:43 AM

These seem to be the main questions:

"What is the stock made of?"

Carbon Fiber. Everything black on the gun (stock, grip, foregrip, rail) is carbon fiber. It molds very well to any shape, which is what gave me the idea to make an N-strike rail. The other advantage is that the foam forms can be taken out when it's done, leaving a lot of room for internals. I shaped the whole thing out of pink insulation foam, then wrapped it in carbon fiber and left it to harden. It's still got some soft bits, actually. When the resin completely cures, I'll start painting it.

"How do the barrels rotate?"

There's a pin that extends from the top of the pump handle through a slit in the outer casing. It engages a zig-zag cutout in the sleeve around the barrels. It works on the same principle as any of the nerf revolvers, except it's operated by the charging action rather than the trigger, and the shaft is around the barrels instead of behind them. I'm working on something trigger-operated, but there's no guarantee it will ever actually exist. I will explain this system better here or on DBnerf soon, but i'm on vacation now.

"How is it sealed?"

I flattened a chunk of pipe insulation (same as plunger seal), then glued it to the back of the cylinder, putting a hole in it behind each barrel. It seals against a 1" plug at the end of the PC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users