Photo

F.a.r's Practicality?

7 replies to this topic

#1 NERF Downunder

NERF Downunder

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 02:22 AM

hi, sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but i am wondering if anyone has used a F.A.R in a nerf war?
i will be building one soon and am curious as to how they perform.
things i want to know (in general)

.is it a pain to reload?
.does it make it difficult having shells?
.is it unwieldly?

and all that other stuff.

any help is appreciated
[size=2]Im not racist, i hate everyone!

#2 MFRnync

MFRnync

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 07:04 AM

Very few people have completed the Fast action rifle build because it is a rather complex one, but, the bottom line is that just like every other nerf gun it has pros, and, cons. If you only have one magazine on hand then, yes, realoads are going to be difficult and time consuming because you will have to remove your magazine and rest your rifle while depressing darts into the mag assuming you dont need to first load them into shells. If the later is the case you may be stuck colecting your spent caseings before being able to load the magazine again. If you complete the build and carry an appropriate amount of magazines and spare shells on your person during a war IMO the far is a great weapon to have. It is a medium ranged and accurate blaster with a high rof and a huge cool factor. Unwieldy is in the eye of the shooter, depending on your physical stature it can be extremley bulky or not.
carpe scrotum- grab life by the balls, sustaining member of the always outnumbered but never outgunned toy gun modifiers guild.

#3 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 09:10 AM

The FAR was Bolt's primary blaster until the SCAR came out, and it apparently saw quit a bit of action in wars. According to Bolt, though, the mag wasn't absolutely necessary. He would just as often just pitch single shells into the breech, as opposed to bothering to reload the mag.

Shells are a bit inconvenient, as they make reloading a two-step process. However, the FAR (and the SCAR) made up for that with a great ROF. It's all about trade-offs. As far as unweildy, it is relatively long; that's one of the things that Bolt sought to improve with the SCAR.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#4 boltsniper

boltsniper

• Contributors
  • 591 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 10:23 AM

It depends on the style of battle you play. I mostly play short indoor scrimishes. I have about 30 shells made and I will have all of them loaded before we start. I will start with a loaded magazine and the bandolier of shells. Once the magazine is out I typically just breach load other shells unless I get a definitive pause where I can reload the magazine. Breach loading is pretty effective as well as you just retract the bolt, toss a shell in, and release. Doesn`t take much more time than cycling the rifle with the magazine. I rarely went through all 30 shells before everyone was dead, but if I did I would just ditch the rifle for a secondary weapon. Locating appropriate darts and reloading the shells is not something you wanta do during a fast paced battle.

#5 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 02:29 PM

Agreed with the above three, especially the creator.

I see only one really valid reason for making an FAR and actually using it in a Nerf skirmish.

Because it's cool lookin'.

Think about it. You'd have to fabricate more than one magazine for anything remotely resembling increased firepower. You'd have to make five more shells. Even after all that work, you'd still have half the firepower of a Magstrike with one mag. And you'd have increased range over a PC or Magstrike, but still be undergunned (range wise) by an AT2k, AT3k, SM1500 or SM5000.

In fact, a properly modded AT3k can achieve the same results, cost a bit less, and wouldn't kill you at the work bench. Then again, I'm inept at making homemades, so the FAR drove me to drinking excess Mountain Dew.

But if you build the FAR, you'd have the cool, assault-rifle look though.

The choice is yours. If you're Nerfing with a bunch of GI Joe wannabes, you'd be the envy of the crowd. But from a practical standpoint, I'm not interested too much in how a blaster looks, as to it's function in a particular Nerf war situation, of whom each individual will have their own characteristics.

Not a dumb question. Makes us think about our motives. Makes me wish I had just a fragment of Boltsniper's talent and ability.

Good luck if you do pursue it!

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#6 St Jebus

St Jebus

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 09:11 PM

The gun design seems very practical for short range/indoor wars. A fast reloading rifle is good, and shells are hard to lose on carpets/flat surfaces. Outside the shells can be a pain, but the gun's accuracy proves to outweigh it if you aren't half blind. If you keep an ammo pouch of shells you can easily breech load it like any other nerf gun. The quick pumpless design makes it worth it, if you actually have the ability to build the gun. :P

#7 taz22

taz22

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 11:37 AM

but i'v got a question,

if you use a breach. why would a far be better than a snap with breach? ore a other simple home made gun with breach? i guess the only reasons why the far is so good are the looks and because he use a mag.
and if you just breach load the gun why would you build something that would use shells?
i guess the Far's range isn't outstanding longer that that of a other home made gun that someone made that isn't so smart in designing stuff.

this is how i think about it you know.

greats

PS, boltsniper i don't attack you with this post :wacko:

Edited by taz22, 24 July 2006 - 11:38 AM.

#8 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 11:25 AM

if you use a breach. why would a far be better than a snap with breach?

You're right, a SNAP with a breech works pretty well...but a FAR beats it a few ways. Because the gun is built as a complete system, loading the gun also charges it; it's one simple motion. In its simplest form, you have to breech load and then charge a SNAP, making for a slower ROF. Also, a simple gun with a breech tends to get pretty long, so it's harder to carry - the FAR and the SCAR put it all in a very usable size.

This isn't to say that a simple gun isn't very effective with a breech; it just can't meet the ROF of a FAR...which makes sense, because that was the the original purpose in the design of the FAR - high ROF. Of course, not everyone can build a FAR, so a simple gun with a breech is the next best thing. And of course, a simple gun with a breech becomes as fast as a FAR once the FAR's mag is empty...possibly faster, due to the lack of shells.

It all comes down to what you want to build, what you can build, and how you want to play.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users