9 replies to this topic

#1 dragon26

dragon26

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 11:45 AM

Crap...another one

Very Urgent!!!!...

PASS THIS ON TO ANYONE YOU HAVE A E-MAIL ADDRESS FOR.

If you receive an email titled: "It Takes Guts to Say Jesus"
DO NOT OPEN IT. It will erase everything on your hard drive.
This information was announced yesterday morning from
IBM; AOL states that this is a very dangerous virus, much worse than
"Melissa," and that there is NO Remedy for it at this time. Some very sick
individual has succeeded in using the reformat function from Norton
Utilities
causing it to completely erase all documents on the
hard drive. It has been
designed to work with Netscape Navigator and Microsoft
Internet Explorer. It
destroys Macintosh and IBM compatible computers.
This is a new, very malicious virus and not many
people know about it. Pass
this warning along to EVERYONE in your address book and please share it with all your online Friends ASAP so that this threat maybe stopped. Please
practice cautionary measures and tell anyone that may have access to your
computer. Forward this warning to everyone that you know that might access
the Internet.

Joyce L. Bober
IBM Information Systems
Pittsburgh Mailing Systems
412 - 922-8744

Sometimes you just have to bash a n00b into the ground.-Suave

#2 neonerfer

neonerfer

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 12:36 PM

Thanks for the heads up. And thanks alot, Jesus!
"Do not question that which is. Question that which will never be."

#3 dragon26

dragon26

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 12:46 PM

erm....sorry for this but it's not real
http://www.europe.f-...s/hjesus.shtml
Someone on x-forums just pointed this out
But i'd still be careful
I feel like a fool
Sometimes you just have to bash a n00b into the ground.-Suave

#4 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 12:48 PM

Here's how you tell kids, if it says it will erase your hard drive, it's a fake. I have yet to see one of those actually be effective.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#5 neonerfer

neonerfer

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 01:05 PM

Yeah, I didn't think it looked too real. At least it wasn't one of those hoaxes that makes you delete the "virus" from your computer when you're really deleting a needed program. Anyways, the "It takes Guts to Say Jesus" email is probably just a religious email, and an anti-religious person or group of people started this hoax to stop people from reading the email and giving the senders a bad rep.
"Do not question that which is. Question that which will never be."

#6 rawray7

rawray7

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 02:29 PM

it's essentially impossible to erase someones hard drive by simply opening an email. maybe if you opened an attachment, but you'd have to be dumb to open an attachment from the Jesus Clan, unless of course you're a member.
You, nerfboi, are the suckest gun. -neonerfer

#7 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 10:10 PM

In one of my networking classes we were learning about network security, and we learned alot about fake viruses. Now one thing we did learn is that Windows has a fail safe program that will not allow the entire hard drive to be erased by a running program. Basically if you want to erase your hard drive it has to be done in a DOS prompt and has to be entered on the keyboard. I'll whip my book out and read more on it cause it all goes in one ear and out the other in those classes, but I do remember that being one of the obvious virus scams.

Talio.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#8 GunnedDown

GunnedDown

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 11:14 PM

I thought you couldn't reformat through the DOS prompt because you are still running windows?
"The occasional hell or damn is ok,
but we do sh*t and F---"

~Webbster, Foam Improvement.

"I got four points... I sackled you"

#9 superadaquabat

superadaquabat

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 12:32 AM

Well, when i reformat i use the windows 98 start up disk, so it loads off the disk and never accesees the c: to boot up. But would it be possible for a virus to actually make the computer think the keyboard was typing and reformat?
Happiness is a foam gun.

#10 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 01:02 AM

Honestly, it's not worth it. Why spend all that god damn time to make a program that will cause maybe one or two hard drives to be gone, when you could create one to jam up the machine so much that they have no choice BUT to delete the hard drive THEMSELVES. Thats the point. Annoyance and complete distruction. Seeing as most intellegent people with anything on there machine that would cause a problem will have it backed up. Now if you designed one of these programs to attack a server, it still may not work because of the constant updating of anti-virus software is making it harder and harder for the programmers of these monstrousities to create a program that will do anything. If you really want to screw up a machine, you don't delete the hard drive. Delete command.com and it's over. Hell delete the registry and the machine is useless.

Talio.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users