Drilling Through Glass Bottles

What is the safest/easiest way?

5 replies to this topic

#1 opiumpanda

opiumpanda

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 02:16 PM

It's been quite a while since I last posted, I must say, the new layout is very nice!
Back on topic, I was wondering what you guys would think is the easiest way to drill about a 1cm hole into a glass bottle. I am working a little project in which I plan to turn a bottle of 'Bawls' into a lamp. I don't exactly want to ruin this bottle because it costs almost $3 Canadian for one bottle of it and although it tastes great I can't just keep buying them until I get it right.

Any help with the hole drilling would be appreciated. I have a handdrill but only a few bits. None of my bits are Diamond drill bits, which a few sites said are recomended. Thanks in adance.
~OP~
"i read that nerfs coming out with a 500 watt lazer light that can burn through walls."
Hell you're lucky if you don't get fucked with a spiked bat

#2 TED

TED

In Brightest Prawn, in Darkest Shrimp...

• Administrators
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 02:42 PM

Why don't you just experiment with other pieces of glass until you get it right?
Star Wars can go fuck itself.

#3 Petrie

Petrie

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 10:07 PM

Just use an engraving bit for a dremmel and go really really slow and then use increasingly larger drill bit till you reach the correct size
also you could just start with a very small drill bit
you best bet would be to go to a hardware and ask the oldest guy there trust he he will know

#4 euphemism

euphemism

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 11:56 PM

You want to use a metal drill, that is to say a drill bit meant for drilling metal. More specifically, a twist drill bit. I suggest you direct your attention to the wikipedia article on drill bits.

#5 flashflint

flashflint

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 09:12 PM

Ive herd that you have to submerge the bottle in or else the heat makes it crack. Im not shure but this is what I have herd.

#6 ledzepp2994

ledzepp2994

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 09:52 AM

I did this in one of my classes use a drill press with a high speed bit. Wear a mask to prevent the dust inhalation. Only go like 1mm at a time. Go slow! After every 1mm stop and let the glass cool. Wipe it down with a moist rag every few seconds. Not wet or cold! Just moist. thats it
Dude, Jimmy Page is my hero... ok so humm... I have to add Trey Anastasio he is my neighbor and I have known him for many years but I just saw him own like 10 people on stage with crazy solos.

Stairway is not the best song of all time... don't get merried to it you fool

Nerf it up!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users