Photo

Fireworks Pics

13 replies to this topic

#1 Carrtoon

Carrtoon

• Contributors
  • 289 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 11:47 AM

Well, it's another fourth of July that has come and gone. Another fourth with some great fireworks and great pictures. I want to see those pics! I'll start off with some of mine:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I think this one should go in the new Budweiser commercial:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Enjoy!

Edited by Carrtoon, 06 July 2006 - 10:12 AM.

When beauty breaks the spell of pain
The bludgeoned heart shall burst in vain
But not when love be pointed king
And truth shall Thee forever reign

#2 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 11:55 AM

I must say, you really know how to take pictures.

Anyways, I walked all the way to see the fireworks, then realized I forgot my camera. I was a tad bit pissed. However, my mood was soon to change, as a group of drunk college kids turned up behind us, and the entertaining remarks made the night worthwhile.

~ompa

#3 CustomSnake202

CustomSnake202

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 12:55 PM

Damn, those are nice. And I thought I new how to use my firework setting on the panasonic. Very nice work, I really like the pointed clam shell type one.

I was too lazy to get to my local firework extravaganza. Buh.

#4 Carrtoon

Carrtoon

• Contributors
  • 289 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 02:17 PM

Thanks guys. It is fairly tricky to get good firework pictures. I took 160 pics and only about half of those turned out well. I use manual mode an set the shutter to different speeds. Some of the pics are 4 seconds, while others are 1/3 of a second. I use a tripod. Each firework is different also. Some explode out faster than others.

The other thing I do is use manual focus. This eliminates the camera trying to find where to focus. This takes a few shots to figure out where to focus. I also use my 12x optical zoom. This is the best feature on the camera. Zoom will get you some amazing pictures. The hardest part of taking these was timing the shot right. You have to physically follow the tail of the firework in your viewfinder and guess when it will go off, while keeping the camera still when it does go off. This isn't easy, but when you get it, some amazing pictures will follow. Lastly, the way to get some amazing pictures is just trying different things. Trial and error. I have not gone to a photography class yet. I take pictures, find what I like, and duplicate it. Find that niche, and you will find yourself taking very nice pics.

Anyways, I walked all the way to see the fireworks, then realized I forgot my camera. I was a tad bit pissed. However, my mood was soon to change, as a group of drunk college kids turned up behind us, and the entertaining remarks made the night worthwhile.

~ompa

Haha! I know what that's like. Sometimes I bring my camera somewhere. Find a place where I want to take some shots, and turn the camera on. NO MEMORY CARD FOUND. I left my memory card in my computer. That happens a lot...

#5 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  • State:Virginia

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:11 PM

Posted Image

I only took this picture and a video at our fireworks show.
SexD Warves

#6 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 04:31 PM

The other thing I do is use manual focus. This eliminates the camera trying to find where to focus. This takes a few shots to figure out where to focus.

I'd like you to meet my friend ∞...

But seriously, you can calculate this ahead of time by working the hyperfocal distance for a given focal length (12x = 400mm) and f-stop. Check this out before your next shoot. If you were shooting at 400mm and f/8, for instance, you can focus to 66m to put everything from 33m to infinity in focus. If you stop down to f/16 you can focus to 33m and get everything from 16.5m to infinity. That should be enough depth of field to cover any fireworks that aren't blowing up in your hand.

Cheers.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#7 Carrtoon

Carrtoon

• Contributors
  • 289 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 05:23 PM

Wow. Thanks for that info. I hadn't the slightest idea that I could calculate the focal length before I shot. That will come in handy for fast shots of flying birds and such. I'd like to see some of your pics sometime. If you get a chance, could you PM me some? I bet you've done wonders with your camera. Thanks

#8 NinjZ

NinjZ

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 05:49 PM

When I use my old manual camera I shoot most everything at 5.6 unless im trying to get a very shallow depth of feild or a very wide one. It's nice to always have some fading. Although, this doesnt matter too much for nighttime shooting of fireworks.

#9 friendly nerfer

friendly nerfer

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 09:09 PM

WOW!!!!! Nice pics carrtoon.
It's really hard to take pics of fireworks.
Yours are really clear.
GOOD JOB!!!!!!!
The point of war is not to die for your country, it's to make the other poor bastard die for his!

#10 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  • State:Virginia

Posted 05 July 2006 - 09:23 PM

What about mine Powerclip? It's not the best quality, but I thought it'd at least be worth posting Rototrack. Don't you think so Razorbeast?

Just kidding. Mine sucks in comparison to yours Carrtoon, I applaud you. They are really nice pictures. What is the one of a bunch of dots going up into the sky, was it shooting off sparks as it went up?

Nice!

Edited by NerfMonkey, 05 July 2006 - 09:29 PM.

SexD Warves

#11 Uncle Hammer

Uncle Hammer

• Members
  • 750 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 10:04 PM

Probably a crackling affect as the shell was shot into the air. Nice pics carrton, I've tried taking pics of fireworks before and its no easy task.

Edited by Uncle Hammer, 05 July 2006 - 10:05 PM.

Don't mess with Texas cuz its bigger than France, bitch..
QUOTE (Talio)
Catagory 5 hurricanes are the mighty dick of God.  You don't mess with that!  You don't mess with Gods dick!

#12 Carrtoon

Carrtoon

• Contributors
  • 289 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 10:40 PM

No, yours didn't suck, you just need to take more. Why did you only take one? I applaud you for actually getting a firework in the frame in one shot! As to what firework that one made, I am not sure! I didn't really watch the show, I just took the pics. You sacrifice one for the other. I think it looks like the edge of a planet as the sun comes up. My best guess would be that it was the tail of a firework. I tried to take a few of those...

I also resized the smaller pics above ^^

It seems there is some interest in these pics, so here are a few more:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And the grand finally:

Posted Image

Enjoy!

Edited by Carrtoon, 05 July 2006 - 10:44 PM.

#13 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 01:13 AM

You wern't perchance browsing digg or del.icio.us about a week ago were you?

Nice shots man, beautiful.
Oh Kentucky, you are so fuggin awesome...

#14 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 01:53 AM

Those look nice and all but nothing beats the feeling of playing with firewire.

Firewire <------ click here stupid!
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But Iím just not the angel you knew.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users