64 replies to this topic

#1 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 10:16 AM

EDIT:
NEW
What? : SPANO: Saint Paul Annual Nerf Outing, until someone thinks of a cool name that includes Minnesota in the title.
When? : July 29 starting at 9:30-10 AM till ???
Where? : The Area(s) around Highland Disc Golf course (look at the pictures), Possibly Hillcrest Rec Center and Playground later in the day,
What games? : Capture the Flag, Death Match, Team Death Match, Anarchy, and others
What rule set? : West coast style, 3-5 hit points, count to twenty-five after being hit by a dart or by a burst of darts, and then keep playing.

Old Stuff:
I'm looking to set up a big nerf war in Minnesota, specifically somewhere near or in the Twin cities. As far as dates I’m thinking any time from the second weekend in July to the first weekend in August. I’ve got a location in mind. For those of you who know the area, I’m thinking the area surrounding the Highland disc golf course. I’ll post some pictures soon. Let me know if you are interested in attending and how many people you can bring, or even in the area a might consider attending. I get between ten to fifteen people form my group to come.

Also any help full hints as to how to plan a big nerf war like this would be help full as this is my first time planning an event.

Edited by sam, 14 July 2006 - 03:24 PM.

#2 The Infinite Shindig

The Infinite Shindig

Arma-what-now?

• Contributors
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 11:23 AM

Also any help full hints as to how to plan a big nerf war like this would be help full as this is my first time planning an event.

Despite being seriously dated (by community standards), Spoon's article is still the best resource I've read.

Good luck.
Shindig of the Lawn Chair Mafia

<a href="http://www.albinobla.../flash/posting" target="_blank">Posting and You</a>

#3 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 11:44 AM

I could make any date excluding August 3rd to the 7th. I'm betting I could convince at least 3 of my crew to come along with me. Just get everything finalized early. If you post the official date a week beforehand... ehh. Go for at least a week and a half.

The key is to just pick something. Some dates won't work for some and other dates won't work for others. Choose what works for most &/or you (since your the host), and do it. The earlier everything is finalized, the better.
" Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Mr. Creedy. Beneath this mask there is an idea...
...and ideas are bulletproof. "
V

#4 LordoftheRing434

LordoftheRing434

• Members
  • 565 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 02:24 PM

I could probably get somewhere around 5-6 people from the Duluth area to make the trip. Shinny made the same point I would have made. Spoon's article will tell you pretty much all you need to set this thing up. I know that several of us are leaving for a canoe trip in the Boundary Waters from August 6-10. Before that, we should be able to work something out. And even after, if that's still an option to you. I'll be moving into my dorm the latter part of August in the Cities, so maybe we can work something out there. Keep us updated; my current state is "interested". Elaborate some more, and I'll see what I can do.

~Rings
And when he gets to Heaven, to St. Peter he will tell, "One more soldier reporting sir, I've served my time in hell."

"I bluff it. I don't throw my weight around and say I know what I'm doing." ~ Mick Jagger

#5 Carrtoon

Carrtoon

• Contributors
  • 289 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 03:44 PM

I know that several of us are leaving for a canoe trip in the Boundary Waters from August 6-10.

Awesome! My Dad's buisness is centered around canoeing so I get to go up there a lot. I just got back from a BWCA trip a few weeks ago. Great weather and great fishing. Lots of hard portages but they were worth it. I also caught my first Brook Trout. 18 inches. Where is your entry point?

Back on topic... I might be able to make it. I have various trips to Oregon and California so I may not make it, but I'll try. Anything under August 5th is the best for me. Can't wait to see some pics of the location!
When beauty breaks the spell of pain
The bludgeoned heart shall burst in vain
But not when love be pointed king
And truth shall Thee forever reign

#6 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 04:29 PM

I've got three possible dates:
Saturday, July 15
Saturday, July 22
Saturday, July 29
Unless people can come up/down during the week, I think those days may be best.

The Infinite Shindig, thank you
EDIT: Pics!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
That was one area.
I'll post the next one in another post.

Edited by sam, 30 June 2006 - 07:05 PM.

#7 LordoftheRing434

LordoftheRing434

• Members
  • 565 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 07:39 PM

That looks pretty good. You might find conflict on July 22nd though, as some people will be attending Farmageddon in Iowa. That's looking unfortunate for me right now though. My crew should be able to make weekdays too though, so don't rule those out quite yet. Hopefully things turn out fine.

Carrtoon - I'm not sure where we'll put in this year. My past 2 years we've put in at Snowbank and Isabella. Both my trips were really easy, not much portaging. It's nice to take an easy one now and then though. We did have one 240 rod portage with mud though.
And when he gets to Heaven, to St. Peter he will tell, "One more soldier reporting sir, I've served my time in hell."

"I bluff it. I don't throw my weight around and say I know what I'm doing." ~ Mick Jagger

#8 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 07:45 PM

Here is the second area. It's a lot more open, but there is a lot of trees and it's a reallly big area.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
They are really close to each other as well so we could switch off very easily

Also how long would most people want to Nerf? 4 hours? 6 Hours? More?
Are people's parents cool with them coming down/up to do this? Do we need confirmation from my parents or anything like that?
How about shooting for the 29th, unless people dont plan on attending farmageddon, then we could do the 22nd.
Edit: I changed some of the beginning information so check it out.

Edited by sam, 30 June 2006 - 09:40 PM.

#9 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 08:55 AM

Sorry about the double post.
Okay, the date has been set. It will be July 29th. Who will be able to come? Anything that needs to be cleared up, or possibly changed? Any questions?

#10 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 11:52 AM

Do we have an address, perhaps? Something to mapquest? I don't golf, so I have no idea what you mean when you say "Highland Disc Golf Course."

Also, Mapquest isn't very helpful... (there's what, four golf courses it gives around TC?)

I'd really like to come but I need to know exactly where it is!

EDIT: Also, the next step to hosting a Nerf war is to PM The Infinite Shindig so he puts up our war on the calender on the front page. After that, go to NHQ and other forums to get people from there as well.

Edited by Flaming Hilt, 02 July 2006 - 11:54 AM.

" Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Mr. Creedy. Beneath this mask there is an idea...
V

#11 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 12:17 PM

I've been trying to find good directions, but haven’t been able to get anything yet.
Here is a picture of the area. The areas circled are the two areas pictured.
Posted Image
The Highland 9 hole golf course, located at 1797 Edgecumbe Rd, St. Paul, MN 55116
(Number 4 on your list on Mapquest) is basically right across our area.
Hopefully I'll have good directions up by tomorrow.
And if all else fails I can PM you guys my address and we can meet there (I only live 5 blocks away).

Edited by sam, 03 July 2006 - 05:05 PM.

#12 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 03:48 PM

Okay, sweet. I will contact everyone and get an official number (how many) to you soon.
V

#13 Carrtoon

Carrtoon

• Contributors
  • 289 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 05:54 PM

Great. The location looks awesome and I will probably be able to go. I have one friend that I could bring also.

Also, since this will be played on a frisbee golf course I'll bring some frisbees too. Maybe we can take a break from nerfing and shoot 9 holes for half an hour B)

#14 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 08:56 PM

Awesome! Feel free to bring some frolf discs if you'd like. Also make sure to bring pistols becasue their will be some pistols only.
I've got a few more questions.
How long do you guy want to Nerf?
Is 10:00 AM a good time to start for everyone?
And are directions sufficient?

Edited by sam, 02 July 2006 - 10:54 PM.

#15 LordoftheRing434

LordoftheRing434

• Members
  • 565 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 12:30 AM

I would like to say I can go, but I've only been able to run it past one of my guys. I still don't know how many would be available to go. I'll tell everyone so we can get off of work. And then we'll figure out some car pooling. I can't make a guaranteed promise yet. Things look good so far though.

I think we'd be able to make to the Cities by 10:00. Maybe give or take a half an hour (finding site, gas stops?, etc.). If we're later than everyone else, you can always have a quick pistol war or something.

Has this been posted on the calendar yet? If not, PM an admin and get it set. An exact date looks better and it might hold more promise for greater attendence.

My current RSVP: Hopeful.

~Rings

#16 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 11:33 AM

Ok sent a PM to TIS. So it should be up pretty soon.

#17 Jangadance

Jangadance

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 11:37 AM

I'll try to keep it on my calendar and bring 2-3 friends. Looks good.
"The 'dance goes on..."

#18 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 05:12 PM

Ok so here are the best Directions I can give you guys. They are to the Highland 9 Hole Golf Course, which is right across the street from where we will be. In addition to that here is a small map of the area.
Posted Image
As you can see the two circled areas (where we will be playing) are just across Montreal from the Highland 9 hole golf course. Hopefully those will be able to get you there. I'll also PM everyone that attends my cell phone number in case they can't find it.

Does anyone have any questions reguarding anything that has to do with this nerf war?

#19 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 12:37 PM

5 Questions at the moment:

A ) Which circled area should we go to first

B ) Where's parking

C ) Any good fast food around or should we bring home lunch

D ) Are homemades allowed

E ) Do you feel comfortable PMing us your cell in case we get lost or s'm

EDIT: G'darnit gets me every time. :P and B ).

Edited by Flaming Hilt, 05 July 2006 - 12:38 PM.

V

#20 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:50 PM

5 Questions at the moment:

A ) Which circled area should we go to first

B ) Where's parking

C ) Any good fast food around or should we bring home lunch

D ) Are homemades allowed

E ) Do you feel comfortable PMing us your cell in case we get lost or s'm

EDIT: G'darnit gets me every time. :P and B ).

A) The Larger Circled Area. If you look at the map, once you turn onto Antonio Dr. you then turn on to Juniper
B) And parking is right at the end of Juniper
C) Within a 3 mile radius there is a McDonalds, Arby's, Jimmy John's, Leann Chin, Brueger's Bagels, Noodle's & Co., and a Chipotle. But feel free to bring a bag lunch if you'd like.
D) depends on what kind of homemade and how strong it is. I'd bring it, but know that if it is too powerful or something that I'll ask you to stop using it. So don't depend on it.
E) I'll PM everyone who is coming my cell number closer to the event. I'd also like to get everyone's number closer to the event.

Schedule for the 29th
9:00-9:30 AM: Some friends and I will to setup the area a little bit.
9:30-10:00 AM: People start arriving
10:15 AM: The Battle begins
12:30-1:15 PM: Lunch, we should try to take as little time as possible for lunch.
1:25 PM: Start it up again
3-ish PM: Take a break
5-ish PM: The End, unless you guys want to go longer
Schedule for the 29th

Anything Else?

Edit: Darnit that B thing happend to me too.

Edited by sam, 05 July 2006 - 04:07 PM.

#21 LordoftheRing434

LordoftheRing434

• Members
  • 565 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 05:24 PM

and a Chipotle.

Hot damn! I'll let my guys know about that too. I'm sure that's where we'd be eating. :P

#22 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 07:32 PM

Aye, unless nobody has money we may have to join you at the Chipotle as well. Now I REALLY can't wait...

Schedule looks good.

WAY TO GET EVERYTHING FINALIZED SO SOON! Yeay!
Sorry but that doesn't happen that often. Anyways I have one friend officially coming so far.

(edit) and five who haven't checked their e-mail &/or responded yet.

Edited by Flaming Hilt, 05 July 2006 - 07:33 PM.

V

#23 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 08:53 PM

Well I am an Eagle Scout. Ok awesome, so Flaming Hilt, you plus possibly six.
How many might other people possibly bring?

#24 Carrtoon

Carrtoon

• Contributors
  • 289 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 09:00 PM

I may be able to come and bring a friend along, but neither of us are definate. I'm crossing my fingers. Hey, if I can go, does anyone who is going live near or south of Rochester, Minnesota? I ask because of carpooling issues. I can probably drive and have room for 4 more. Thanks

#25 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 10:58 PM

If you would like better directions check into this:
go to google maps and type in Antonio Drive, Saint Paul, MN 55116.
Or here is the mapquest version.
I guess the area we'll be in is called Walsh Park. I didn't know that. I guess you learn something new everyday.

Edited by sam, 05 July 2006 - 10:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users