Valve Questions

confused and need help

5 replies to this topic

#1 Powersniper

Powersniper

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 12:38 AM

I'm seeing a lot of ball valves on home made compressed air guns but everyone says that they're not that good. If they're not good, then why are peoples using them so much? I'm really just wondering what the best valve to use for one is. I have been seachering around and havn't found much... So if you could help me find a good valve that would be great.

thanx in advance! :blink:
David- HOLY CRAP!!!!
Me- WHAT?!?!
David- Uhh... I forgot.

#2 SKIZ

SKIZ

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 01:14 AM

Im sory to say but i doubt u have searched as there has been about 3 new topics created on this same topic. ie "which valve is the best". The reason you see most people with ball valves is because they are cheep. THe reason there crap is because they are slow and accuracy is lost when u pull unless you can manage to lube up the ball REALLY REALLY REALLY REA... (well you get the picture) well. In my opinion solinoids are the way to go as they are quick release and accurate. That is of coarse just a basic valve that is simple to acquire, however there are many more vlaves that can be made or purchased but usually require a bit more money to buy and alot of time and effot to make.

#3 Powersniper

Powersniper

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 09:30 AM

Oh, ok ya well I have acually searched and only found ball valves and that one valve that the guy with the "Le bloody cannon" dude had... so... I'll look again
David- HOLY CRAP!!!!
Me- WHAT?!?!
David- Uhh... I forgot.

#4 m15399

m15399

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 03:38 PM

Ball valves can mess up accuracy, but the main reason they are extremely erotic is that you lose a lot of range when you use them. Since ball valves open so slow, the dart is out of the barrel before you've turned it 1/4 on. The smaller internal diameter, the less air can go pass, the less range you get. It is important that a valve opens extremely fast to increase the air flow at the beginning of the shot.

Edited by m15399, 14 June 2006 - 03:40 PM.

#5 Powersniper

Powersniper

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 04:19 PM

Ya, I'm now looking at button valves and I don't really get why people think that they're aquard to use (like in shape) because you can just turn it on it's side and put a trigger (like a sideways closepin) and make it pretty comfrtable. There's also that other one that the website said was the fastest valve made for releasing air (but it's like $30.00!).
David- HOLY CRAP!!!!
Me- WHAT?!?!
David- Uhh... I forgot.

#6 Agent X10

Agent X10

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 04:21 PM

Looks like you folks have forgotten hose handle valves, which are fairly cheap and easy to use, as well. The ideal hose handle valve would be one with a trigger on the front, and with threads on both ends. I've never found one like this, however. I've found valves with the trigger on the front, no threads on front, or with the trigger on the back, with threads on front, but not both. If you can't find one with both (I don't know that such a one exists), I'd suggest going with the one with the trigger in the back but with threads on both ends. The reason for that is that the threads make the conversion from the valve to 1/2" PVC pipe fairly easy -- you just have to get a couple of fittings, and you're set (you'll need to use hose washers with the hose fittings). The advantage of valves with the trigger on the front is that when you shoot it, it won't make the barrel go upwards like the ones with the trigger on the back (which is majorly uncool for accuracy). This problem of the rear-trigger version can be fixed, however, by making a stock for your homemade (if you're making a pistol, then you can make a foregrip, or something).

You could also make your own valve, but if you're just a beginner in making guns you should probably try a ball valve or a hose handle valve.
"I hear footsteps in the attic!"
"Mice!"
"And foul oaths and curses!"
"Ill-bred mice!"

"I cut brass with my teeth. No, I use a dremel and a cutting wheel." --Ompa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users