Finding Your Inner Nerf

Meditation is the key...

37 replies to this topic

#1 murakumo32

murakumo32

• Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 11:14 PM

Post a story of really cool things that you may of done while nerfing.

Yesterday, I was playing around with some friends at my place. We decide to take out the blasters and waste time.

It got semi-intense as I jumped between to guys, pulled 2 NFs from the holsters, and shot.

I got both of them (about 30 ft distance for both guy) without looking or aiming.

Has anyone else ever used a gun long enough to just shoot? This was totally instinctive, and i still nailed both of them.

The path is clearer now...
Nerfing, now fortified with vitamin C!
-or-
100% Nerf, for 100% pwnage.

Nerf is a neutral weapons dealer. Anyone coughing up the dough can get armed.

and they're made of Foam... which makes them very Nerfy...

#2 baghead

baghead

Cheetos

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 12:13 AM

I have that kind of thing happen all the time. A good example was at april yano, more of a wild action than a pwning shot, but worthy nonetheless.

In urban Play, Mis-direction is key.

Make your enemy think you went one way, then shoot them from the other.

One shot I got A little cocky and turned a corner with all four of Seijin's NFs and Pilz's 4k pointed at my ass, somehow I managed to dodge all the shots, and high tailed it out of there.

This is where it gets "shaiolin Nerf":

Mid run I leap a easily 4-foot high bar, clearing it by a matter of inches, and run on to keep fighting.

I still have no idea how the hell I didn't get myself seriously injured doing that...

for refrence, Here's a decent pic of the area: I was in the lower part, where Falcon is standing.

Posted Image

-bags

Don't call it a comeback, I never left.

#3 LordoftheRing434

LordoftheRing434

• Members
  • 565 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 01:36 AM

Cripes almighty, that's an insane jump! It be the worst if you ended up straddling it before you landed.

As for me, I get this a lot. At my friend's house, there's a flight of stairs I like to jump down with a hallway at the bottom. As I was passing by the stairs once, I saw shadows on both sides of the hall. Seizing the moment I silently lept down 8 stairs and, landing gracefully on the balls of my feet, capped their asses with dual Splitfires. The next thing you heard were a few howls of pain and utter anguish of defeat, and my malevolent laughter.

Those spur-of-the-moment things are pretty fun, not gonna lie. The adrenaline gets pumping and then you get the urge for more. Damnit, I want to Nerf now...

~Rings
And when he gets to Heaven, to St. Peter he will tell, "One more soldier reporting sir, I've served my time in hell."

"I bluff it. I don't throw my weight around and say I know what I'm doing." ~ Mick Jagger

#4 warx

warx

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 12:51 PM

Nerf is at its best when you stop thinking and begin acting as a subconscious, unpredictable beast. It's easy to tell when a Nerfer is in the zone, it usually ends by his/her opponents saying "How in the hell did you do that?"

A favorite adrenaline-enhansed moment from my experiences comes from a low-key, 2 on 2 Nerf War at an elementary school's playground. Out of ammo and faced by both fully-loaded enemies, I took off sprinting, all the while they chased closely behind, making sure I wouldn't get away.

Miracously, either by lucky dodging or poor aiming, I evaded every single one of thier shots...funny thing is, I couldn't see the darts or where they were coming from; my back was turned (a stupid decision, yes). Something was telling me when and how to duck and shift, but then again...maybe I'm just a fortunate bastard.

I topped off the narrow escape by rolling under a plastic bridge and into saftely, leaving my opponents straggling behind, in total wonder and awe. And the only thing they said is: "How in the hell did you do that?"

Anyways, to further add to the discussion, I believe that it's nearly impossible to beat a Nerfer who is "tripping" on the spur of the moment, no matter how crappy his equipment is.

User ability>Blaster quality
The perfect signature does not exsist.

#5 Team Slaya

Team Slaya

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 02:47 PM

Yeah, the adrenaline rushes kick ass! I had a similar experience to bags.

This was at MANIAC 2. Some kids had stock guns, others had modded ones. Somehow, I didn't spot two kids on my right - One with a DTG and the other with a mav. I thought I was completely owned when I saw them. The guy with the DTG fired, and I, without even thinking, threw myself backwards so that my back was arched. The shot went right under me, I hit the ground on my neck/shoulders area but didn't feel a thing and got the hell out. Everyone just kinda stopped and went "whoa...". It was sick.

And at MANIAC 3 OMC did this amazing slide. He had an X-bow and NF, and he's on the move to get this one guy out. He runs up to him, then drops to the ground and slides a good 6 feet, and fires twice. It was so fast that I thought he teleported. It was nuts.

Yeah, good times.

TS

#6 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 04:25 PM

One of my best friends and I Nerf a lot. That's all we do, Nerf. He comes over and we grab a gun and go to it.

(Incident 1)

So, I have this chair, see:
Posted Image
Chair.

Usually the first thing to happen during a battle is that chair gets pushed into that hallway to the right. Of course, it didn't have a towel and the boards weren't around. So, the chair is in the hallway for cover.

Straight down that hall is a bathroom, in this case the location of my opponent.

Straight across from him, over the chair, is the kitchen. I lean out from around the kitchen, he shoots but I duck in time and... he has to reload. I (my nerfing conscious, moreover) run the ten steps to the chair, take two steps up it -- keeping balance somehow so it doesn't tip backwards -- and dive over it face-first (Neo-style?) with dual NFs. He forgot to close the bathroom door, and... both shots hit him square in the chest.

"How in the hell did you do that?"

Of course, the next time around he knew what I was doing, and he has killer aim (no pun intended), so he left a welt in the middle of my forehead. But it was pretty cool the first time around.

(Incident 2)

Don't ask me how, but over Memorial day weekend we got my mom out of the house. THEN we pulled an all-nighter, but the cool part it the all-nighting part of it was nerfing with the lights off. The only lights we used were those on our guns.

This time around, he was in the kitchen and I down the hall. I've got dual NF's again, but only one had a light. We both have our lights off - for stealth, obviously. Of course, I knew he started in the kitchen so unless he silently vaulted over the balcony (another story...), he was still there. My nerfing conscious takes over again. I flip on one my light and throw that NF into the kitchen, while simultaneously leaping through (?) the counter.

Posted Image
Counter.

He's of course facing my light (thrown in from the other side), so I get a perfect silouette and plug him in the back with my remaining NF. I dunno how I made the leap and landed safely in the kitchen, but...

(Incident 3)

I know three is pushing it a little, but... yea I don't care.

So we have this balcony.

Posted Image
Balcony (that's the lens being weird, it isn't really that dirty).

Now, I know you don't like Mavericks, but let me tell you it is possible to crank off at least 4 shots while flying over this balcony onto the couch (provided your mom isn't home, telling you not to) and not get hurt.

- - -

And THAT is why I love indoor wars.
" Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Mr. Creedy. Beneath this mask there is an idea...
...and ideas are bulletproof. "
V

#7 The Shadow

The Shadow

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 05:58 PM

Well, i guess ill put a couple of mine out so here goes:

INCIDENT #1

I was running from two brothers, each with RF20's. I had a Nitefinder (thank you Nero121) and a Maverick, both loaded and ready to fire. Now obviously ANYONE would know that its hard to fight solo with two sidearms against two others with RF20's, well I decided to test that theory. I happened to be running toward a stone fortress like-playground thing. Basically i jumped onto the wall, jumped off, and in mid-air managed to take out both, and landed cat-like.

INCIDENT #2

Again I was running, from the enemy, this time with dual mavericks (by now you should have figured out that i'm a more of a "run in and kill everyone" kind of guy). I was being chased by one guy this time with a Firefly and a NF. There was a fence ahead of me so i decided to use it to my advantage. i jumped over the fence, and realized it was about a twenty foot drop. I landed on my back 2 inches from where my glasses had landed, from there i managed to make a surprise attack from an area that was originally unattainble, and took nerely a quarter of the enemy.
I'm just concerned that NH could be held liable when Ted inevitably ties this kid up and sticks him in his trunk for safe keeping. Seriously, Parkway, you might want to think about carrying a tazer.

#8 ogopogo

ogopogo

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 06:10 PM

I was haveing a 1 on 1 war with my freind he had a quaded at2k i had my sm5k. He chased me down after i shot and shot 3 of his dart all just missing my head then when he was about to shoot agien i droped on the ground and shot my sm5k. I hit him right in the middel of his forehead from 50 feet.

#9 euphemism

euphemism

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 06:39 PM

Yeah, the adrenaline rushes kick ass! I had a similar experience to bags.

This was at MANIAC 2. Some kids had stock guns, others had modded ones. Somehow, I didn't spot two kids on my right - One with a DTG and the other with a mav. I thought I was completely owned when I saw them. The guy with the DTG fired, and I, without even thinking, threw myself backwards so that my back was arched. The shot went right under me, I hit the ground on my neck/shoulders area but didn't feel a thing and got the hell out. Everyone just kinda stopped and went "whoa...". It was sick.

I remember that, it was a pretty awesome dodge. I don't have many particularly vivid dodge memories but I do remember one late night cemetary war where I dodged a full powerclip from about 6 feet away, not sure whether it was my skill level or the other guy's or luck, but it was still pretty awesome.

One nice "OHSHITRUN" moments involved me running down a very steep (estimating a very random 79 degrees) drop of about 20 feet with lots of big sharp type rocks on it and at the bottom and 3 guys with an sm5k and an rf20 and something else that I cannot remember at the top. I had a mav and everyone else on my team was down. Unsurprisingly I ended up losing but that part was pretty crazy.

#10 sasquatch

sasquatch

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 07:17 PM

I was haveing a 1 on 1 war with my freind he had a quaded at2k i had my sm5k. He chased me down after i shot and shot 3 of his dart all just missing my head then when he was about to shoot agien i droped on the ground and shot my sm5k. I hit him right in the middel of his forehead from 50 feet.

For God's sake learn to spell.
I'm big and hairy, that's how you'll remember if you see me. My name's Sasquatch for a reason

#11 ogopogo

ogopogo

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 07:43 PM

For God's sake learn to spell.

I am sorry. I am takeing spelling classes because my spellings so bad no joke.

Edited by ogopogo, 08 June 2006 - 07:44 PM.

#12 Nero121

Nero121

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 08:18 PM

Well, you all seem to have miraculous stories. I feel kinda jealous. The only real thing I can think of is when I was having a standoff with some guy, me with a BBB and him with a tech target and four other guys to back him up holding various nerf guns. I was just outside of range for all their guns (the game we were playing involved them not being allowed to leave a certain area, and so I was naturally standing outside the area trying to pick them off :D ). So I fire off shot after shot, none hitting any of them. Then the guy with the tech target goes "Jeez, you suck! Lol!" (he really said 'Lol' out loud, no joke :mellow: ) To emphisise his point he turns around. Wham!!!! I smacked him right dead center in the back of his head! All I could think about was that Calvin and Hobbes comic (if you don't get the joke, your not a diehard Calvin and Hobbes fan)( For all the Non-die hard Calvin and Hobbes fans, but you own 'The Indespensible Calvin and Hobbes', page 30).
EDIT: Oh yeah, and just wanted to say, that no, honestly, Shadow is not exaggerating. It ACTUALLY WAS 20ft :lol:

Edited by Nero121, 08 June 2006 - 08:19 PM.

#13 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 11:28 PM

At the last DCNO (and, coincidentally the only "real" war I've ever been to), I pulled off the sweetest dodge of my life.

There was a large hill in front of me about 40' high maybe, and a maze-like complex of buildings behind me, and OMC came out of the maze thing to my right about 30' away, and took a shot at me with his Crossbow. I leaned over backwards so I was at about a 45 degree angle to the ground with my head facing forward - this was all a reflex, I had no idea what I was doing - and the dart that otherwise would've capped me in the side of the head wizzed past my face and I swear I actually felt the air from it on my nose. I ended up dying later anyway but man, those few seconds were glorious.

It was the most badass thing ever to happen to me and probably always will be.
SexD Warves

#14 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 01:03 AM

During the winter trials. (Version of Nerf assassins) We drove by one of our targets houses. His garage was slightly open. He and a few friends were inside smoking up. I parked the car and we three got out. One was packing dual RF20's, another was packing a RF20 and a nigthfinder, I was packing my Red Dragon.
The garage door only opened so much and there was only enough space for one to go in at a time. I went in and at first all I could see was feet then legs and then the faces of people who weren't targets. They all sat there quiet So I knew our main target was there somewhere. I saw something move slightly in my periferal vision and my arm moved up and to the right fast and it seemed like the gun fired on its own. I heard "Ow!" and then the target rolled out of his elevated safe-haven weapon in hand. I had shot him in the back of the head.

I am still in awe over that night.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#15 LordoftheRing434

LordoftheRing434

• Members
  • 565 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 01:12 AM

I do remember one late night cemetary war

I've always thought this would be awesome (in fact I just mentioned it to a friend earlier), but it doesn't seem right to me. Sure it'd be cool to hide behind a headstone, but there's some lack of respect when you're standing over someone's peaceful remains bellowing with a plastic toy in your hands.
And when he gets to Heaven, to St. Peter he will tell, "One more soldier reporting sir, I've served my time in hell."

"I bluff it. I don't throw my weight around and say I know what I'm doing." ~ Mick Jagger

#16 euphemism

euphemism

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 05:51 AM

Y'know, there's two sides to every headstone if you're feeling respectful. Honestly though, as long as we don't destroy or disturb anything (we don't), I really don't feel that we are being disrespectful. If you do ever do it, I advise you to stay away from any very old graves as their headstones could easily be broken.

#17 leftnut

leftnut

• Members
  • 392 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 06:27 PM

The craziest and most painful thing I've done during a nerf war was a war we had in my house, a 2 v 2 in the middle of the night with the lights off and a strobe light going on in my kitchen. My friend was hiding downstairs and I couldn't get down the stairs fast enough without him shooting me. So I came up with this genius idea to try and dive down the stairs and shoot him while going down. So after a minute or two of talking myself into it I finally decided to go for it. I ended up diving down and missing my shots with my NFs. My friend casually walked over and stood over me and started to say the prayer from Boondock Saints. As he was doing this both of us forgot my other teamate was still in and he happened to open the door in my garage and end up triping over me and accidently shooting my friend in the process. This was extremely rediculous and I can barely believe how much of a mess and how stupid we are but in the end it was awsome and hillarious.
"You are obviously a megalomaniacal insecure little boy stroking your faltering ego with your own hairy palm in order to prove your suedo-alpha male status..."
-BadAssReptileFarmer to Talio

#18 Black Blade

Black Blade

• Members
  • 541 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 09:04 PM

Not anything stunt wise crazy but I was nerfing at 10:00 at night with my friend Keavin and Zack. I was laying down aiming my EaB at Zack right when I was about to shoot Zack Keavin he walked right over the barrel of my EaB without notceing I was there. I shot both of them when Keavin found out what happend he just started laughing. Good times...

#19 Master Yogurt

Master Yogurt

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 09:38 PM

Nothing too spectacular, but this was one of my earliest modern Nerf experiences (I nerfed when I was little, but didn't get back into it until last winter). My friends and I were playing on New Year's, about three in the morning, in my backyard. Pitch black. We decided to play a "Holdout" type game, in which one of my friends was with he barricaded behind my shed, and my other friend was out in the darkness trying to take us out. So, I know my friend's near my house, about 60 feet away, loading up his guns. I've got a general idea where he is, so I pull out my banded, de-restrictored Nightfinder (the only modded gun in our group - this was only a week after I got my first Nerf gun in years, mind you) and fired a 45° potshot in his direction. A few seconds later I hear "Hey, that hit me!" Guess it was a zen moment or something.

Edited by Master Yogurt, 09 June 2006 - 09:39 PM.

Come to PANO!

You'll take my life but I'll take yours too
You'll fire your musket but I'll run you through
So when you're waiting for the next attack
You'd better stand there's no turning back. The Trooper

#20 blinkycc13

blinkycc13

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 11:11 PM

Today, I was playing with my two brothers. We played that any touch with a gun (even thrown guns) is a kill. I had my lightly modded nf and a plastic sword that i like to use in the other. One brother had an rf20 and the other had a slightly modded scout and and vortex tornado gun. The scout wielder (sp?) was about 45 feet to my left and the rf20 wielder waas about the same distance in front of me. I broke into a sprint and towards the rf20 wielder, but at the same time the scout wielder closed in to about 30 feet. I had to keep my eye on the rf20 wielder, so i blindly threw my pistol to my left and it clipped the scout wielder on the shoulder. Continuing my sprint towards the rf20 wielder, I dodged his last darts and proceded to tap him out with my sword. I didnt know until after i had killed the rf20 wielder that my thrown pistol from 30' had made contact. The scout wielder was like "Dude, how the heck did you do that?"

Edited by blinkycc13, 09 June 2006 - 11:14 PM.

QUOTE(Dark Shrimp @ Nov 10 2006, 11:06 PM) View Post

This is called a screwdriver it is used to unscrew or screw in screws.

#21 warx

warx

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 12:56 PM

We played that any touch with a gun (even thrown guns) is a kill.

You can chuck your guns at your opponents? Seems like a great way to break your blasters/friends.

This may seem hypocritical, but I say we have less stories and more discussing!

Nerf reminds me of baseball, in which there are periods of standstill and brief moments of intense action that make the slower instances worthwhile. It's kind of like Lucky Charms brand sugar ceral, with the crazy and fun shootouts being the Marshmallow Hearts, Stars, Horeshoes, etc. and the oat clovers being strategizing and the other times where thought is essential.

What do you think?
The perfect signature does not exsist.

#22 blinkycc13

blinkycc13

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 06:31 PM

First off, in my opinion, that post was unnessicarily poetic. Good, but not needed.

It is a good description though.

I love that quote. Anyway, we dont throw anything but nitefinders and stuff, because they are cheap and not too easily broken. We also do not throw to hurt, only to touch. It, in my opinion, makes for a fun game.

Edited by blinkycc13, 10 June 2006 - 06:32 PM.

QUOTE(Dark Shrimp @ Nov 10 2006, 11:06 PM) View Post

This is called a screwdriver it is used to unscrew or screw in screws.

#23 SgtSniper

SgtSniper

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 10:50 AM

I was nerfing with my friend, and we were having a war where we could go everywhere in his house. I had an NF and he had a titan. I ran downstairs, and he shot the titan at me. Like some thing out of The Matrix, I jumped on his trampoline and jumped over the rocket and shot him.

#24 baghead

baghead

Cheetos

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 07:21 PM

Nerf reminds me of baseball, in which there are periods of standstill and brief moments of intense action that make the slower instances worthwhile. It's kind of like Lucky Charms brand sugar ceral, with the crazy and fun shootouts being the Marshmallow Hearts, Stars, Horeshoes, etc. and the oat clovers being strategizing and the other times where thought is essential.

What do you think?

I think you're not nerfing with the right people or in the right place, most of my nerfing history has been prety action packed except for maybe when Tone-dogg and I 1-0n-1 throwdown LBB style (it's kinda slow having a duel at 120+ feet). My theory is that you probably don't play with a ballenced group of nerfers, for example: if you have a large ammount of long-range single-shot weapons in play and that's it, you bet the action's going to be slow. It also can be a matter of location, if you don't have the right ballance of cover and empty space things get lame, not enough cover just leads to lots of people standing out of eachother's range, and too much cover keeps people from being shot at all.

I've said my 2 cents.

-bags

Don't call it a comeback, I never left.

#25 Team Slaya

Team Slaya

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 08:11 PM

My nerfing experiences have always been action packed because of the variety of guns availiable. Generally, there has been some really high ROF people who keep the long range guys on the edge. In MANIAC 3, I was using OMC's dual LNL's, and wherever I looked there'd be someone attacking me. I'd have to contantly be keeping people at range and hiding behind different covers. It was awesome. The teams were pretty even, which made it even better.

TS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users