For "Tiny Piney"

15 replies to this topic

#1 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 02:33 PM

I haven't done much with our Nerf arsenal in quite awhile...and now less so, that my busiest time of the year is upon me (summer camp season), so before I get down in my bunker, I'd figure to share the one significant thing I did in the last couple months (Nerf-wise, work load has been killer...but enough talk).

My six-year old daughter's favorite blaster is the Lanard First Shot. Firstly, it's the one she can prime easiest (she can cock the Nite Finders, but not without bracing it on a desk or chair first). Secondly, it's the little counterpart to her big brother's favorite weapon, the Max Shot. And thirdly, she asked me to make it "look cool", with a rifle stock to fit her 3 foot frame. Oh, and purple, like her dad's favorite color.

Posted Image

It's a basic First Shot, with some case mods. A 2 1/2 inch PETG barrel sits in a PVC sleeve for strength. Ammo holders from a NiteFinder. A cut PVC foregrip. And a 1/2" CPVC removable triangle stock. Ever since I've been working on the FAR, I've got a knack to make stocks out of different sizes of PVC, angle cut on the compound miter saw, and bonded with hotglue and epoxy.

Posted Image

My daughter decided to use my spare laptop case as her satchel for her PDW. You can tell by the paint job that I still have to practice using Metalcast paints. But it is fun to use.

I originally had the stock straight out, parallel to the barrel. But the cocking lever kept hitting the stock, keeping it from becoming fully primed, and eventually breaking off the coupler. I measured, then re-epoxied the stock at a slight angle to clear the cocking lever, and it also brought the sight plane up a tiny bit for her to aim without tilting her head too much.

Oh...yeah...ranges. Well, can't expect much out of a First Shot, but with stock micros it gets maybe 30 feet or so. With shortened (1 inch) micro stefans, 50 feet is pretty common, but I've cursed some when she shoots me in the back with those from 10 feet away. Yes, they leave welts.

Posted Image

Here it is compared to my newly acquired Larami 1500...yeah, I had to show it off. I hadn't had one for three years plus. I'm still figuring out what I'm going to do with this, it's probably going to be my new primary. $5 on eBay, along with a SuperSoaker. Deal of my life. :D

I better go update the White Dog site too. It's been awhile.

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#2 Ryan201821

Ryan201821

Prince Edward

• Contributors
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 03:44 PM

Looks great. I like the purple. I am suprised that it doesn't get that good of ranges. I CPVC modified mine and got about 60' flat with tagger darts. I actually like my First Shot a lot and seldomly use it as my sidearm. Anyway I love the foregrip and looks very comfortable to hold. Nice work again.

#3 Sqiggs89

Sqiggs89

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 04:09 PM

Thats pretty frickin' badass. Makes me like the look of a First Shot..
Been a while.
#bro

#4 Agent X10

Agent X10

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 05:20 PM

That's excellent, Pinemeister! It's without doubt the best looking First Shot I've ever seen. I'm not a big fan of purple, but it looks great on that.
"I hear footsteps in the attic!"
"Mice!"
"And foul oaths and curses!"
"Ill-bred mice!"

"I cut brass with my teeth. No, I use a dremel and a cutting wheel." --Ompa

#5 TimberwolfCY

TimberwolfCY

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 08:05 PM

Yes, that looks awesome. Where can one procure a First Shot? I'm interested in getting one now and modding one myself, it looks cool as hell.
"Denial is the most predictable of all human responses. But, rest assured, this will be the sixth time we have destroyed it, and we have become exceedingly efficient at it." - The Architect, The Matrix: Reloaded

TimberwolfCY
of NH, NHQ, NO, NC

#6 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 08:35 PM

Looks awesome. The foregrip is my favorite addition here. She must be proud.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#7 LordoftheRing434

LordoftheRing434

• Members
  • 565 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 12:17 AM

You may be able to procure a First Shot at your local Wal-Mart. I know they had some in stock a few months ago at mine. I just didn't have the interest, so I haven't noticed any recently. TRU may also carry it, I've noticed them there before our's closed. And then I can't forget K-Mart; I know I've seen them there before. Frankly from what I've heard, a NF is a better option.

The foregrip and stock are both nice additions here. It really does turn the gun into a mini-Max Shot. I'm not the biggest fan of the gun, but your work certainly makes it presentable. It looks very suitable for a child and older person alike. Well done!

~Rings

Edited by LordoftheRing434, 07 June 2006 - 12:18 AM.

And when he gets to Heaven, to St. Peter he will tell, "One more soldier reporting sir, I've served my time in hell."

"I bluff it. I don't throw my weight around and say I know what I'm doing." ~ Mick Jagger

#8 Uncle Hammer

Uncle Hammer

• Members
  • 750 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 12:26 AM

Ahh, I was wondering when I would see another piney creation on the boards. You certainly aren't the one to dissapoint me either, very nice work. Keep it up!
Don't mess with Texas cuz its bigger than France, bitch..
QUOTE (Talio)
Catagory 5 hurricanes are the mighty dick of God.  You don't mess with that!  You don't mess with Gods dick!

#9 godzillasoaker65

godzillasoaker65

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 04:10 PM

The only place i've been able to find first shots is at Wallgreens. They have them at some, but not at others. Nice work on the first shot Piney, looks mainly factory made and easy to hold. :D

#10 Lukeinator

Lukeinator

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 04:57 PM

I know this is hard to believe, but I found hundreds (yes, hundreds) of First Shots at Superstore.

Now I'm fairly sure that Superstore is only in Canada, but either way, First Shots are there.
Ride it like it's stolen.

#11 TED

TED

In Brightest Prawn, in Darkest Shrimp...

• Administrators
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 07:41 PM

I love the foregrip and the purpliness is just awesome.
Also what does "PDW" stand for or did I overlook that part?

EDIT:200th pst yay for me... whoopah! :D

Edited by Dark Shrimp, 07 June 2006 - 07:43 PM.

Star Wars can go fuck itself.

#12 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 01:43 AM

...what does "PDW" stand for or did I overlook that part?

Thanks for all the kind comments...my daughter is the lucky recipient and she loves her "Barney" . Ugh.

I thought for sure some airsofter would speak up...

PDW stands for Personal Defense Weapon, I believe it was HK who pioneered the concept and the acronym with their MP5K PDW...

Posted Image

It wasnt' much, except for the fact that it packed a whole lot more punch than just a sidearm alone, in a package that an air crewman or vehicle crewman could carry in a compact harness with additional magazines for enhanced firepower.

Read this cool article about the PDW. Even I learned something about them. But yeah, it kind of reminded me of a PDW, hence the nickname.

Sheeoot. Now I'm beginning to think about making an AT2k PDW for me....folding stock...foregrip...

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#13 Agent X10

Agent X10

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 08:55 AM

I ain't no airsofter, but I knew the meaning of "PDW" through my experience with Roguespear. The P90 is also classified as a PDW. You can't get the original First Shot any more, but I've seen the blue and silver one at various places, including Wal-Mart, Toys'R'Us, and K-Mart. I got mine at Wal-Mart. Edit: About the NF being more desirable, you can definitely pump more range out of an NF if you mod it enough, but my FS does get 50-60'.

About the 2k PDW...I think I smell another fangoriously world-class Pineapple production coming up.

Edited by Agent X10, 08 June 2006 - 08:58 AM.

"I hear footsteps in the attic!"
"Mice!"
"And foul oaths and curses!"
"Ill-bred mice!"

"I cut brass with my teeth. No, I use a dremel and a cutting wheel." --Ompa

#14 flamebo388

flamebo388

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 11:57 PM

Folding stock you say? You mean like this?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
It still needs work, I did it a few weeks ago but it doesn't stay folded and it's a little wobbly extended, plus the hinge I used doesn't allow the stock to close fully but it's a start.
And as everyone knows, money makes the world go round. It's also the root of all evil, therefore the world going round is evil, and we should stop the rotation of the planet.

#15 davidbowie

davidbowie

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 10:59 PM

Do you have to bust out a screwdriver every time you want to fold or unfold that stock?

I saw a healthy stack of first shots at my walgreens last time I was there.
Check out the all-new DBNerf. The source for all your DBNeeds.

#16 flamebo388

flamebo388

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 02:18 PM

Naw, you just pull on the screw. I forgot how horrible that thing was, I'm working on redoing it.
And as everyone knows, money makes the world go round. It's also the root of all evil, therefore the world going round is evil, and we should stop the rotation of the planet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users