Southwestern Pa Nerf War

Just an idea, for now...

5 replies to this topic

#1 Master Yogurt

Master Yogurt

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 10:09 PM

While I don't believe it is possible to organize one this year, I am seriously contemplating a Nerfing next summer in Southwestern PA.

I already have an area picked out. The location would be in a local park (BY Recreational Park, as listed on Google Earth). The more specific location would be a wooded area on top of a hill in the park. The area is ideal for a few reasons. One, the terrain is varied and interesting, and the size is excellent. It's large enough and shaped well enough to allow a wide range of movement, but small enough to keep the action fast-paced and centrally located. Of interest is a great number of trademark western-PA glacial rock structures, perfect for hiding in and around. Also, though a trail makes the area easily accessible, the place is almost never used, and for the past few years the Boy Scouts have let the trail sort of grow free, making it even more ignored by the general public. Parking is also a simple thing, as there's a lot (well, gravelly area intended to contain cars) at the bottom of the trail.

The town is Trafford, PA. Sort of a dinky little place about half an hour from Pittsburgh. It's located very close to Monroeville, which has lots of hotels and that sort of thing, so there's lodging around, as well. There's also food conveniently located about five minutes away, and some excellent pizza places who would deliver. Pavilions in the park could provide lunching spots easily.

The biggest issue, though, is would anyone attend the PANO (Pittsburgh Area Nerf Out)? Does that location seem convenient (or even possible?) to anyone on the board? I know most people are either in Jersey or California, both relatively distant. I have friends and such who would attend such an event. With enough advertising/pushing, I could probably get 10 people from the local area easily.
Come to PANO!

You'll take my life but I'll take yours too
You'll fire your musket but I'll run you through
So when you're waiting for the next attack
You'd better stand there's no turning back. The Trooper

#2 roadrunner

roadrunner

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 02:51 PM

I live towards the middle of Pennsylvania so I might be able to convinve my parents to take me there. Also I have some friends that might be able to go.

#3 Sqiggs89

Sqiggs89

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 04:11 PM

Pittsburgh is about give or take, 1hour and 1/2 away from where me and NerfMonkey. Sunchip also lives outside of Pittsburgh, so he might come. If there are enough people and I'm allowed to go, I might. I'll keep you posted.
Been a while.
#bro

#4 Master Yogurt

Master Yogurt

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 08:12 PM

It actually may be possible to get a meeting together this year, probably in early August. Since I'm heading off to college this fall, I'll need middle August to get ready, and my July weekends are pretty much swamped with grad parties. I'm glad that there's some interest in a war in the area, though. Judging by the Frappr, Sunchip should easily be able to attend if he's interested (he's very close to me, actually), and Squiggs and Nerfmonkey are probably within two hours (unfortunately for you guys, I'm on the opposite side of Pittsburgh, so it'll only add to your travel time).

I'm going to go back and check out the park again soon (probably Friday if I get the chance. My grad party's on Saturday, so I'm pretty busy right now) to see if a Nerfing there would indeed be feasible, since I haven't walked the trail since last summer. If the hill's too small, another local park, Bushy Run Battlefield (it hosted a battle in the mid 1700's between British soldiers and Indians led under Pontiac who were pillaging the frontier at the time. The battle ended Pontiac's War, which was an aftereffect of the French and Indian War, so the place has some cool military history too it.) The location there's pretty good, too, since there's lots of parking, the one lot is left open 24/7, and I'm even friends with the curator, so there's an absolute guarantee of no problem Nerfing. The only issue is finding a suitable area, since it's very wooded. There's just no distinct area I can think of off the top of my head to Nerf that seems especially interesting. A hike through there would probably provide some ideas, though. And even if that fails, the woods around my house could even work well - I know them like the back of my hand, since I basically grew up in them. They're called, ominously enough, the Shades of Death, and that's been their name for two hundred years or so. >_>

I'm thinking gametypes will be basically ad hoc. Probably mostly Team Deathmatch and Capture the Flag (well, we play with carry-on bags, so it's more like "Capture the Briefcase", which works well for mobility), since those are my favorites. Though I haven't picked out a time (or heck, even an exact day), it'll probably be from 10am to 5pm, with an afterNerf or something for those who would feel like continuing the day). Would early August seem reasonable for you guys?
Come to PANO!

#5 roadrunner

roadrunner

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 04:34 PM

I don't even know if I would be able to go yet, but I'm only open in June, July, and the 14th-18th in August

#6 Master Yogurt

Master Yogurt

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 08:08 PM

You couldn't get any weekends in August? I don't believe that a weekday war will work out for me, Roadrunner. I hope you could still make it, though.
Come to PANO!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users