Big Bad Bowie

7 replies to this topic

#1 davidbowie

davidbowie

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 06:17 PM

Posted Image

The angle of that picture is deceptive. The plunger tube is actually quite large, and the stock isn't as clunky as it looks in the picture.

Yet another plunger gun.

It's like a big brother to the snapper. A very big brother.

It's kind of an experiment, bringing together a lot of conceptual bits and pieces, such as the new trigger, BBB-cocking, new barrel mounts, and a 2" plunger.

I got a back saw and miter box (finally) the other day, so I used it on pretty much everything in this. It really helps with things like the stock and the grip.

That little thing poking out of the grip is a double ramrod, which slides in and out for storage.

Here's the spring-clamp trigger:
Posted Image

It's constructed basically like a clothespin trigger, but the paddles aren't cut off, and one is bent to create a trigger lever, which is then reinforced with an angle brace. The clamp comes with pre-made holes centered on the tips, which can be enlarged with a drill to fit a very burly firing pin.

This is how the barrels are mounted:
Posted Image

They're 1/2" CPVC barrels mounted in a 2" PVC plug. I drilled two holes to fit the barrels, then glued a small section of a 1/2" CPVC coupling onto the rear end of each, slid them through, put another section of the coupling on the opposite side, and filled in the gaps with hot glue. I think it turned out pretty well.

And finally, the BBB-style cocking system:

The handle starts out to the right. Slide it forward and grab the catchface:
Posted Image

Then, pull back until the spring is fully compressed. Turn the handle to lock the assembly, ready to fire:
Posted Image

I moved the catchface from it's typical position right behind the plunger head to the very end of the plunger rod, where a pull-ring or knob would typically be. This goes inside the stock tube. The handle and trigger are mounted on a piece which slides over the stock tube, with the firing pin riding in a slot. Pushing the handle forward lines it up with the catchface. Pulling it back lines it up with another slot. Rotating the handle into firing position locks the entire assembly in place. It might seem a bit odd, but it's the exact same set of motions you would do to operate a straight-pull bolt-action rifle, only you never have to release or grab onto anything. This setup also allows for the entire action to be run with one hand, if the stock is strapped to your shoulder, like in the pictures above. Maybe I'll make a lefty version someday so I can dual-wield them.

I also added in another little improvement: I sleeved the plunger rod (allthread) with some polyethylene tubing. I don't think it really added much, but it does work a bit more smoothly.

This is definitely not the final incarnation of this blaster. After all, the entire reason I designed this action is to be able to operate a reverse-pump clip like the one on the yellow jacket. Plus, I'm not really a big fan of the double barrels. They're a whole lot of fun to shoot, but they really cut down on the power, especially since this gun only uses one spring compared to the two on the Snapper. Both darts usually get about 40'-45', 50' if I'm lucky. I might try to get another spring in there again, but I probably won't until I can find a better catch washer.

Edited by davidbowie, 10 June 2006 - 06:20 PM.

Check out the all-new DBNerf. The source for all your DBNeeds.

#2 Powersniper

Powersniper

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 07:01 PM

THAT'S AWSOME!!! I personly like how it has two barrles. But with ranges, it looks like it could get more. even if it doesn't... that's a kick ass looking gun!
David- HOLY CRAP!!!!
Me- WHAT?!?!
David- Uhh... I forgot.

#3 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 07:46 PM

Very nice. I love the ramrod storage. Yes, I'm hoping you can get better ranges then that, especially for its size. BUt anyways awesome.

EDIT- Make that gun 4 barreled and I guarantee you will get the same ranges. ITS because your two barrels aren't taking up the whole space in the plunger thing. There is some air not traveling to both your barrels. That is your problem. So you can fit 4 barrels in there and it'll come pretty close in taaking up all the space.

Edited by nerfer34, 10 June 2006 - 07:49 PM.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#4 SgtSniper

SgtSniper

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 08:08 PM

Very good. Is it basically KISS internals or something different?

#5 davidbowie

davidbowie

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 08:33 PM

Sgt. loser, the KISS had no plunger. It was more like a slingshot. This has almost exactly the same internals as the Snapper.

Nerfer34, all the air is reaching the barrels. It's not like the space around the barrels is empty, it's just plugged up by the rest of the plug. Using 4 barrels would spread out the air output even more.

#6 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 09:47 PM

I like it! The barrel assembly is great...good use of a plug for a custom barrel fixture. I really liked how you approached the BBB style cocking. Very well done. What's the length on that beast, and how long is the draw? It looks long, but that may be deceiving. Also, what's sticking out the bottom of the handle?

Edited by Carbon, 10 June 2006 - 09:48 PM.

Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#7 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 07:26 AM

Carbon, Thats his ramrod. I think tthe ramrod idea was awesome.
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#8 davidbowie

davidbowie

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 02:30 PM

Carbon, the entire gun is about 43" long, which is quite comfortable. The stock separates from the plunger tube for easier transport and storage, and I'm considering making the stock break apart behind the action to let the entire blaster fit inside my steel case that is still waiting for a cool rifle to fit in it.

The draw is only 3". There is at least 10" of 2" PVC on there, but that's partly to support the joint with the stock, and because I was originally going to use end-to-end springs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users