Photo

Best Homemade Trigger System?

11 replies to this topic

#1 Black Blade

Black Blade

• Members
  • 541 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 05:05 PM

I really want to make a good homemade. I would like to know what your opion of the best homemade trigger system is and why?

Edited by Black Blade, 01 June 2006 - 05:05 PM.

#2 m15399

m15399

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 06:54 PM

The best option, in my opinion, is a piston valve. It opens incredibly fast, has a very large ID, and isn't too hard to make. The only drawback is that it's not well-documented and is not a good choice for a first time homemade builder.

#3 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 06:54 PM

If it's for a spring Gun i'd go with Ompa's, or Carbon's

Edited by sam, 01 June 2006 - 06:55 PM.

#4 Black Blade

Black Blade

• Members
  • 541 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 09:32 PM

If it's for a spring Gun i'd go with Ompa's, or Carbon's

Thanks sam but I think I'm going to make a pump Homemade. But I checked out both of the links and there really great write up's thanks.

Edited by Black Blade, 01 June 2006 - 09:40 PM.

#5 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 01:09 PM

Well in that case I'd say use either a modified sprinkler valve, a ball valve, or a hose attachment like the one used on the cutlass in the homemade section of the website.

#6 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 01:46 PM

If you're looking at air, then you're pretty much limited to what sam said. They all have their plusses and minuses. Sprinkler valves work very well, but need to be modded to get the bes performance, plus they're sort of pricey. Ball valves are cheap, but don't have the quick air release of the other two. And hose valves are cheaper and have good ergonomics, but I've also heard that they don't have as good of a seal as teh other two (can be leaky). Good luck..
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#7 m15399

m15399

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 03:51 PM

Ball valves are not so good, sprinkler valves can be expensive, and hose valves can be better. As I said, piston valves are the best valves, but otherwise a hose valve would be the easiest.

#8 WratH

WratH

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 05:19 PM

I remember around the time I joined Osiris had a home made that used a pressure washer handle. That seems like it would handle pressure a lot more since it's rated for thousands of PSI.
Death be not proud. Though some have called the mighty and dreadful... Thou art not so.

#9 m15399

m15399

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 01:30 PM

It would be able to hold more pressure, but you wouldn't need it to unless you're making your gun out of copper or some other metal that holds more pressure than PVC.

#10 Dr Nerf

Dr Nerf

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 03:20 PM

In my opinion, piston valves are the best that have already been made. I chose this kind of valve for my bolt action homemade. These kind of valves open quickly and have high flow because of the large internal diameter. This valve also allowed me to build a fully functional trigger system using bellcranks and music wire.

The best kind of valves for an air pressure gun would open almost instantaneously and have the highest flow possible. Piston and solenoid valves have both these qualities. Piston valves are dirt cheap but must be built by hand (though I think that I have seen some for sale online) while solenoids are readily available but can sometimes cost a lot. Hose handle (or pressure washer) valves open quickly but lack high flow. Ball valves allow high flow but open slowly. Other valve types exist, but all of the ones I have listed above have been used before. Your choice of a firing valve directly affects the performance of your gun, so choose your valves well.

Edited by Dr. Nerf, 04 June 2006 - 06:07 PM.

#11 davidbowie

davidbowie

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 03:29 PM

It's important to understand that there are TWO very DIFFERENT types of piston valve. You can have a pneumatically piloted piston valve, which tends to open very quickly and usually has full outlet-size porting. There are also MANUAL piston valves, such as Dr. Nerf's valve, and most NERF valves (airtech, LBB, Titan, etc). These DO NOT open especially fast.

A piloted piston valve pretty much has to be homemade. It's not hard to make, though. A 3/4" modded sprinkler valve should do quite well for the size of valve one would need in nerf.
Check out the all-new DBNerf. The source for all your DBNeeds.

#12 CaMbLaM

CaMbLaM

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 06:45 PM

I don’t want to sound like a dick head here, but you're an idiot. Did you try and search the "homemade" section of this site? I'll give you a link but please, posts like this make the haven more like NHQ and less like the high quality ownage it was like when I joined. When I made posts like this Talio would own ass, and that is what made the Haven so good. Now I'm not Talio, but I think if everyone just used the search function a bit more we could get some of that ownage back.
Here are you links:

Here is a very good trigger mech, from zero The basic homemade valve

Here is where I got it from incase you even have any other questions The homemade section

And it’s not a link but ball valves cost like $3 at any hardware store and they work pretty well to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users