Photo

Removable Stocks

3 replies to this topic

#1 Starbuck

Starbuck

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 12:41 PM

I released pictures of some of my custom Nite Finders. They are actually good handguns, but I don't prefer them. When using modified Nite Finders indoors, especially using new springs and rubber banding, they get in the 70 feet range which is superb for indoor combat. Well, as most of you all saw in my last post showing some custom Nite Finders (can bee seen here), they are nifty pistols. I felt that since my Nerfing experiences are now geared torwards indoor warfare, I felt that to have a small carbine that held multiple shots was necessary. I pondered upon what base to build the carbine on and got a wonderful idea from my Jane's Book of Infantry Weapons 1976. I saw many pistols that had detachable shoulder stocks. I thought this was a marvel idea and so I pursued a detachable shoulder stock for my Nite Finders. This is what I came up with:

The stock is inserted into the battery housing in the grip frame of the Nite Finder. The inserts that go into the battery well are made of 1/2" CPVC sanded to down to give a nice, tight fit. These inserts are attached via hot glue and a hefty screw into/onto a piece of 1/2" PVC. There is a 90 degree 1/2" PVC coupler on the back of the stock with another piece of 1/2" PVC in that. I then took some foam and wrapped around the back end for more comfort when firing. Along the left side, I mounted four double ammo holders left over from the Nite Finders. There is electrical tape in the photo, which detracts from the overall beauty, but I have since removed the tape and is more pleasing to the eye.

Posted Image
The Artemis Arms Tec 9 with stock and magazine. As you can see, the ammo holders keep both stefans and stock darts, whatever your preference is.

Posted Image
The Artemis Arms Tec 9 disassembled.

Posted Image
Here the stock is mounted to another Nite Finder. The stock is universal with all Nite Finders.

And here's the latest stock I've fabricated. It's used with SuperMaxx 5000s and SuperMaxx 1000s. Its build is pretty much the same as the Nite Finder's, but mounts differently. I took a 1/2" PVC T joint and cut it out so that it would slide on the back of a SuperMaxx gun with the " ] " shape on the back of the tank. I then drilled a hole and put a screw and wing nut through it to secure it on. To put on or take off the stock takes about five seconds. I know it's not painted yet, but I will eventually.

Posted Image
The simple stock attached to a standard SM5k and the Artemis Arms T-26 Tactical Carbine.

After some accuracy testing, there is enough data to suggest that a stock on a gun improves accuracy and gives the shooter more stability. One might look at these and say that it is cumbersome or unecessary. But, if you know me, you know that I don't like frivolous attachments. I see it as an advantage to mount a stock onto a Nite Finder to increase accuracy and to offer easier access to ammunition. Plus, since the stocks are detachble, it's easy to convert the gun back into the standard form.

Feel free to ask questions. I hope you've enjoyed another Artemis Arms innovation.

Edited by Starbuck, 22 May 2006 - 12:43 PM.

Starbuck, The Noid,
Artemis Arms Armory

#2 Paloose

Paloose

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 01:56 PM

Yet another fine addition to the nerfing world.
What's next? Side-folding stocks with locks? Telescopic stocks?
Once again excelent work, but do the stocks on the 5k and 1k move to the sides at all? Because I'd expect the T-joint to swing.

#3 Starbuck

Starbuck

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 04:52 PM

Thanks.

Yeah, both of these stocks started out to be folders, but I grew impatient and stuck with the fixed style. I'll get around to modifying these into folders. Also, a telescopic stock it already is the works as we speak.

Believe it or not, the SuperMaxx stock doesn't move at all. I cut the joint so that it fits with the contour of the tank and the screw keeps it nice and tight.

Edited by Starbuck, 22 May 2006 - 04:52 PM.

Starbuck, The Noid,
Artemis Arms Armory

#4 pat 1st Lt

pat 1st Lt

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 05:48 PM

How, may I ask, are you going to get them to fold? Just add another pivot-point farther back from the attachment point, or some other engenious method?

I'm only asking because I've also tried to make a folding stock before, and there is no easy way to make one without heavily modifying the gun you're attaching it to (As in, cutting out sections that are blocking it, having to re-arange internals you can attach an internal-external hardpoint for it to attach to, etc.).

I like the idea of using the NF battery housing, but how secure is it? Would the pegs snap/ fall out if it were dropped? It certainly is an effective pre-fab attachment point for many, many accessories, but I find that is isn't always that strong (The grip between the thing being held in and the gun, not the gun's plastic. Just the interface often seems weak).

Good luck with the folding stocks. I like the progression of this indoor NF you're making. It went from a NF painted black with a new spring, minus the rail, and a PVC barrel to a stock-carrying, workable magazine-toting carbine. That thing is very, very unqiue. I like it a lot, and I hope whoever it is for appreciates the amount of creative talen that went into it.

On a side note, your new Contender would look insane with a chrome/black stock coming out of it.

Sincereley,
Pat
QUOTE(euphemism) View Post
QUOTE(Pat) View Post

It gave the site a sort of 'homy' feeling.

Did you know that "m" can sometimes look like "rn" when read quickly?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users