Photo

First Homemade (in Progress)

6 replies to this topic

#1 woogy

woogy

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 08:55 PM

hey im kindof a noob with homemades so here a break down of my first project. ive only been working on it on and off for like a month now so dont bash it. and sorry about having to make the pics links i just repartitioned my drives and forgot to save my photoshop installer. there huge if you enlarge it so id leave it as is when you klick on the links.

BARREL:
http://i4.tinypic.com/10dimnd.jpg
A shot of my barrel with one of my first homemade darts it gets over 30 feet if i use it like a blow dart. if i use a better dard it should get way better distance(just by blowing it out of the barrel). i dont think you want a video of me blowing a copper pipe so just take my word for it XD

http://i4.tinypic.com/10dir0n.jpg
http://i4.tinypic.com/10dirkp.jpg
Watch the dart, Ive layered the barrel. (loose in the front, snug in the back)
A: Because i wanted it to fit into the cool looking pvc.
B: So my homemade stefans slide to the back and fit snug.
C: So store bought stefans would fit snug in the front of the barrel. (dont have a pic with a store bought stefan in it but it works)

STOCK:
http://i4.tinypic.com/10drwcg.jpg
Not alot to look at there im still working on it

PLUNGER:
I have completely redone the plunger. It is now a small (very light weight) piece of copper with a spring over it and 2 O rings. I'll post a pic later.

TRIGGER:
http://i4.tinypic.com/10ds5fc.jpg
Because my dad keeps forgetting to take me out and get the flux for my solder i still havnt put this part together. The nail will be the pin that holds the plunger in place after its charger, the pvc at the top is the case, the copper and springs and nail at the bottom are the insides.

Comments please. And ill say it again. Dont bash me im still noob at this. I'll give mesurements after someone asks im kinda lazy like that

Edited by woogy, 22 May 2006 - 01:53 AM.

#2 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 09:13 PM

Interesting to see that you're using copper pipe for your barrel. Your stefans seem to be pretty loose in there...a better fit will improve your range later on.

I couldn't really tell from your pictures...what size PVC are you using for your plunger head, and for your plunger chamber? Some combinations of fittings and pipe work better than others. If your plunger is still too loose even after using an o-ring, you may need to rethink the sizes of pipe you're using. Your spring seems to be a bit small, especially considering the size of your plunger....but that's just an opinion, it's hard to say.

Keep us posted, I'll be interested to see how it progresses.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#3 woogy

woogy

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 10:09 PM

Ok carbon i read what you said and thot about it. The stock right now that the plunger goes into is 1 1/2" its prity bulkie and i did want a smaller gun. So i did some work on ms paint and heres what i came up with ill try to explain most of the stuff i put on the pic.

http://i4.tinypic.com/10dvaj8.jpg
Ok first off ill explain teh spring so you can comment on it and give me tips and what not.

RED:The big red dash is where the spring rests the.

BROWN:Thats where the back of the gun with the big 1 1/2" endcap will rest ontop of the spring

BLUE:Thats how far the spring will compress when the plunger is pulled back

This is where i kinda thot ahead. olmost every part of the gun right now is detachable(constant use of that word makes me angry XD). The front of the plunger, the first white piece of pvc, is detachable, so i can make that smaller for a more light weight plunger. If you skip the 1/2" gray pvc, the second white piece is 3/4", and is also detachable. Then the last white piece i can detach and just put a smaller endcap to fit the smaller stock. the first 2 pieces of white pvc are just apoxied and glued to 1/2" endcaps, so i can take them off teh gray piece in the middle.

If you want me to clarify something just ask and ill do my best to better explain what i mean

Edited by woogy, 21 May 2006 - 10:23 PM.

#4 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 10:17 PM

Usually I get how these things work really easily, but I've been staring at your pictures and whatnot for the past 10 minutes and I still can't figure out which way the gun even fires.

I'm going to ASSUME that large roll of tape is the plunger head. However, I don't understand how you get the spring to compress with that piece of 1/2 that's stuck on the end of the endcap which goes into the 3/4" pvc. That, and why on earth is your plunger so big? You should definately make that smaller, as you can reduce a ton of weight.

What's the purpose of the 3/4" pvc? You already have the plunger traveling in the stock, which means you shouldn't need to use the 3/4" anyways.

Before I forget, a suggestion; use a stronger nail for your catch pin. That thing is going to bend under the stress the spring is going to put on it after repeated firings.

And please at least attempt to fix your capitalization and grammar, because it's forum rules and if not, you're more than likely to get suspended.

EDIT: AHH never mind, I get how the thing fires now, took a while for me to figure that out. You have a really redundant system, you could easily drop probably 2/3 of the stuff you have there and still have a functional system. First, you only need the plunger HEAD. Then, try something like cpvc that could fit on the inside of the spring; it's an easier way to keep it straight without adding the 3/4 pvc. Then, you could just punch a hole in the endcap and prime the plunger by pulling the cpvc. Basically, it's what's on Bolt's GNS and all of my homemades thus far.

~ompa

#5 woogy

woogy

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 10:29 PM

I'll get a full picture of the gun layed out in a few mins. And sorry this is my first time posting. It kinda took a whole month for an admin to send me an acceptance letter, so i havnt read the rules in a long time. But yes ill get a pic of the gun layed out so you can find out which way it fires.(and sorry if some of that sounded like sarcasm ... its not)

edit: Lol ok, didn't see your edit till i sent this reply, and i still plan on getting a pic of all the piece layed out.... and my spelling is horid atm. i just spent an all nighter at a lan party with some friends.

Edited by woogy, 21 May 2006 - 10:35 PM.

#6 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 10:33 PM

Yeah sorry about the slow registration, most of the admins are really busy at the moment, and I am only now getting used to the whole validation process.

I get the whole firing now, I had to edit my last post to reflect that. It just kind of clicked after looking at it for a few more minutes.

~ompa

#7 woogy

woogy

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 10:57 PM

http://i4.tinypic.com/10dy4c2.jpg
Yes i know its prity bulkie. I need to make some parts smaller. I could actually take about a foot off of the stock if i took off the front 2 pieces of the plunger.

Thanks for the comments.

PS: Keep an eye on my original post.

Edited by woogy, 22 May 2006 - 01:43 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users