#1 davidbowie

davidbowie

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 08:34 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is basically the same as it was before, except:

I've added a telescoping locking stock instead of the old side-folding one.

The stock is no longer upside-down.

There is a brace added between the two barrels, which makes the gun a whole lot sturdier.

The chamber is more than twice it's former size.

It's got a paintjob.

THE STOCK:

Posted Image

The stock itself is a chunk of 1" PVC with a butt attached at the end. It slides back and forth in a piece of 1 1/4" PVC, and it's locked in one of 2 positions by, you guessed it, a clothespin trigger. There is a guide rod made of some really skinny allthread I had lying around.

THE PAINT

I wanted something kinda sleek, yet completely ridiculous at the same time. So, I decided to match the bike pump I already had mounted with a black and yellow. I started out by painting the entire thing neon yellow. I swear the thing gave off a light of its own. I then masked off all the stripes, patches, zigzags, arrows, etc, and laid down a coat of gloss black metalflake. I never got around to putting the black coat on the stock, though, so it's still as bright as ever.

Here's a detail of the stripes on the pump handle and the stinger/arrow design I put along the top barrel:
Posted Image

Here's the pump, the brace and the clip:
Posted Image

Here's the clip on its own. Note the window:
Posted Image

Here's the handle, which definitely turned out the most bee-like:
Posted Image

The gun can shoot Jumbos, Micros, and arrowlike things made from pipe insulation, which slide over the end of the top barrel.
Check out the all-new DBNerf. The source for all your DBNeeds.

#2 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 08:49 PM

You have clearer pictures! Oh I'm so proud of you.

On a more on-topic note, that thing looks awesome. I'll quote veggie on this one; "that's ricockulous". I figure it's a "stronger" version of the adjective ridiculous, but whatever. Point is, it looks great, functions well, and is unique. Nice job!

~ompa

#3 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 09:21 PM

God damn!

I'll say it again.

God damn!

Much like the markings on the actual yellowjacket, that paint job just screams, "stay the hell away from me, or I'll hurt you."

Glad to see that that Walgreens pump is good for something. I saw it a while ago (I get teh feeling we both find ourselves in Walgreens a lot), and saw the hose, and wondered if it was worth a damn. Good job proving it.

Nice looking piece. Man, I gotta get started painting.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#4 tucker

tucker

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 11:40 PM

Looks nice bowie. How many darts can you fit in the magazine?

(If you use that in a war be sure to bring bug spray ;) )

"We don't necessarily discriminate, we just exclude certain types of people"

#5 fobpawwor

fobpawwor

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 12:00 AM

Dang bowie, you did a nice job on the paintjob. The most I like about it is at the front tip of the barrel. Thats a sweet looking design, reminded me of a paintball gun barrel. Anyways, how did you make it so clean? You must have excellent handling with tape. Nice!

#6 davidbowie

davidbowie

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 06:15 PM

Actually, this gun was the easiest to mask out of any paintjob I've done. That includes some really simple two-tone jobs. All I did was cut all the shapes out of masking tape and stick them on over the yellow base coat, then hose down the whole thing with black.

As for the clean lines between the two colors, I'm stumped as well. Usually I get large dribbles over everything. Maybe I just pressed down the tape harder than usual. That's pretty important for clear lines. It also might be that the metallic paint I used is naturally less runny.
Check out the all-new DBNerf. The source for all your DBNeeds.

#7 fobpawwor

fobpawwor

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 07:52 PM

Ya, I think the trick is to spray many coats with thin layers of paint, allowing it to dry inbetween coats. I usually drench the thing with spray paint, but then not that long ago, I found a better way. Thin layers is the key word.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users