Ramrockets?

Possibillities? tell me what you think and or improvements

11 replies to this topic

#1 Spartan064

Spartan064

• Banned
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 05:44 PM

Just to put this out there is anybody familiar with ram rockets?
Posted Image
yeah, you ram the end and the rocket goes flying.
Well, what if you stuck, say, a 10'' brass down the top part and fired it? serious power. well, i tried it with a crayola barrell and measured distances up to 98'. prty crazy. just imagine making a gun out pf these suckers. just add a few rubberbands and a well thought out cockin/trigger mechanism and you have a really good,albeit ugly, gun. as such
Posted Image

im actually a good MS painter.. just rushed thats all

Edited by Spartan064, 23 April 2006 - 05:46 PM.

"Giggity!" - Quagmire

#2 Ragornocks

Ragornocks

• Members
  • 415 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 05:59 PM

Suddenly I just imagined hitting people in the face with those things; seems like it would be entertaining. Time to make a run to the Dollar General down the street...nobody around here will be safe!

Seriously, pretty cool idea. Kinda like the old Bow'n'Arrow, if you can remember back that far. Small bungee cords are your friend for this kind of stuff, by the way.

Oh, if you have a big piece of brass or something: be sure to put a piece of string or twine across the bottom, so the dart doesn't get sucked down into the plunger shaft.

Edited by Ragornocks, 23 April 2006 - 06:00 PM.

hug the fuck out of 'em, philippe!

#3 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 06:49 PM

Spartan, try using a clothespin trigger if you ever plan on making something like that. It's simple and effective.

~ompa

#4 Spartan064

Spartan064

• Banned
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 07:21 PM

Spartan, try using a clothespin trigger if you ever plan on making something like that. It's simple and effective.

~ompa

ompa, I read your writeup on the clothespin trigger and I dont think it would be right for something as flimsy as the plastic in this ramrocket. Plus I dont plan on having firing pin, thinking of something external.
"Giggity!" - Quagmire

#5 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 07:29 PM

*Carbon's writeup. He definately invented and perfected it.

~ompa

#6 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,893 posts
  • State:Wisconsin

Posted 23 April 2006 - 07:33 PM

This is a pretty cool idea...although, you'd be looking at a pretty long barrel, considering the air volume of the plunger. Not a bad thing, just saying. Although, you could fold it back over like the SNAP-4, so it's no longer a concern. Hmm, I might need to pick one of these things up.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#7 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 07:49 PM

I'm not sure if it's the same as the one my son has, but ours has a laminated cardboard tube over a plastic tube, of which the rocket barrel is attached. You pull back on the cardboard tube, and push forward to create air pressure to send the rocket flying...yes, over 100 feet if done with trajectory.

But a trigger? Again, maybe yours is different, but like Rags said, I could picture it more like a BnA, with the tube being propelled by elastic to generate pressure, and send arrow/dart flying.

98 feet from a crayola marker barrel? I hope to God you're either confused or missing another element in that equation. It's too early in your posting career to be calling you a liar.

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#8 Spartan064

Spartan064

• Banned
  • 44 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 08:07 AM

I'm not sure if it's the same as the one my son has, but ours has a laminated cardboard tube over a plastic tube, of which the rocket barrel is attached. You pull back on the cardboard tube, and push forward to create air pressure to send the rocket flying...yes, over 100 feet if done with trajectory.

But a trigger? Again, maybe yours is different, but like Rags said, I could picture it more like a BnA, with the tube being propelled by elastic to generate pressure, and send arrow/dart flying.

98 feet from a crayola marker barrel? I hope to God you're either confused or missing another element in that equation. It's too early in your posting career to be calling you a liar.

-Piney-

I know it sounds crazy but its true. thats how much sheer power is behind it.
"Giggity!" - Quagmire

#9 blinkycc13

blinkycc13

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 07:05 PM

You would definetely need a few bungies to pull that cardboard sheath forward, but it looks like a cool idea. What store did you get that at?
QUOTE(Dark Shrimp @ Nov 10 2006, 11:06 PM) View Post

This is called a screwdriver it is used to unscrew or screw in screws.

#10 Spartan064

Spartan064

• Banned
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 11:36 AM

You would definetely need a few bungies to pull that cardboard sheath forward, but it looks like a cool idea. What store did you get that at?

Not entirely sure. Try wal mart though, and if its not in toys section then look in the water toys section. I remeber seeing something similar to it there
"Giggity!" - Quagmire

#11 Bungee950

Bungee950

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 04:46 PM

I found this topic, and decided to build one. I used two crayola barrels, and a heck of a lot of tape. The end result sucks, but it was fun to make. It doesn't get much distance, and it's a bit bulky. But it was a great concept idea.
Kraft Smack-n-cheese: Smacking the rich and giving cheese to the poor.

#12 PissBacon

PissBacon

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 05:39 PM

Hah. I forgot I did this a while ago. I used a barrel that was about 3 to 4 feet long, to utilize all that slow air pressure. Of course, it was hand powered and didn't have a trigger. The barrel went into the gun mostly, and stuck out a few inches. It shot real hard, but it mutilated many darts. As for where I got my ramrocket (heh, never understood why they called it that) it was a gift from about 1993.

Edited by PissBacon, 07 May 2006 - 05:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users