Alot easier than you'd think

17 replies to this topic

#1 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 11:39 AM

After completing all working parts of the NEAR, I started on a pistol with a clip in the handle. It was designed to be a short-range weapon with a decent rate of fire. The decent rate of fire wasn't exactly achieved, it is faster than a breech-barrel or ram-rod, but slower than the NEAR or SCAR-N. Mainly because with the bolt design I had, there was too much air loss with the small volume the pistol had. The NEAR and SOFAR could take the air loss, but this poor pistol couldn't. Hence, I had to switch back to my original clip/bolt and scrap the slide-cocking mechanism I had in mind. With the design came something that looked like the first star trek phasers (think captain kirk old), with the gun being much longer BEHIND the handle rather than IN FRONT of the handle. So that weird looking thing that looks like a cpvc barrel is actually the plunger, or the back end of the gun.

Posted Image
/\Without clip/\

Posted Image
/\With clip/\

Posted Image
/\Clip detail 1/\

Posted Image
/\Clip detail 2/\

Posted Image
/\Underside of the bolt/\

Posted Image
/\Inside the trigger/\

Posted Image
/\The traditional lever catch/\

Posted Image
/\The tiny-ass plunger. Although according to my calculations it has similar volume to a NF, but I get the feeling I made a mistake somewhere./\

Posted Image
/\Get rid of the grey barrel (the pic has the first iteration, which failed) and you get an idea of the size. It's actually the same size or smaller than a NF./\

Video of loading the clip

Video of loading the clip into the gun and some shots
/\I still need to sand the back end of the bolt-barrel connection down, so the darts don't catch on the lip. After doing so, the bolt action should be as smooth as the rest of my clips. I'm just too lazy to do it right now./\

Ah, and ranges. Since I can't put a stronger spring in there, I needed to use bands to get the range I was looking for. Ends up I can get around 40-50 with 2 bands on there, which isn't bad. I predict 3 bands should net me around 55-60, although the effective range would still be around 40-45. After that the dart starts dropping off.

~ompa

#2 Renegade

Renegade

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 11:45 AM

Awesome. I'd suggest makeing it more Uzi looking than it already is. Should turn out to be very nice. Great work as usual.

#3 m15399

m15399

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 01:20 PM

The second video doesn't seem to work.

Do you open the cap to the clip before inserting it into the gun?

VERY nice work!

#4 Black Wrath

Black Wrath

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 01:23 PM

Looks awesome, but the second video doesn't work for me. It says "File does not exist - Photobucket".
Xx_Black-Wrath_xX of The Canadian Foam Militia

Not in the game anymore, but it was great while it lasted. Thanks for the great years of fun, NH!
--
Resident "Spawn of Talio"

#5 blinkycc13

blinkycc13

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 01:34 PM

Nice work. How many rounds does its clip hold?
QUOTE(Dark Shrimp @ Nov 10 2006, 11:06 PM) View Post

This is called a screwdriver it is used to unscrew or screw in screws.

#6 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 01:49 PM

Second video link fixed. It holds around 5-6 per clip. Of course, you could always make longer clips, but I ran out of the wire I use to make the spring.

~ompa

#7 NerfPatriot

NerfPatriot

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 03:09 PM

Nice clip, I love how the clip is sorta like the real clips of today how the bullets stay in even when clipped is pulled out; a sort of catch for the rounds before they enter. When the clip is slapped in does the catch for the bullets turn aside and let the stefens run up it, or do you have to move it out of the way before you slap it in?
Bleh...

#8 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 03:25 PM

You just release the string, which is attached to a piece of balsa that bends over the darts to keep them from falling out. That's what I'm doing in the second vid when I seem to unwrap that string at the bottom of the clip.

It's by far not the best design, but I'm unsure of how else to do it without using a shell-type system.

~ompa

#9 Team Slaya

Team Slaya

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 04:33 PM

It seems like it's very hard to get the darts to advance, or it's taking you a rather long time to get the new stefan chambered. Is something getting stuck? Or is that as good as it's gonna get?

TS

#10 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 04:38 PM

/\I still need to sand the back end of the bolt-barrel connection down, so the darts don't catch on the lip. After doing so, the bolt action should be as smooth as the rest of my clips. I'm just too lazy to do it right now./\

Judging by the previous clips I've made, it's just a matter of a small amount of sanding. I just already had the pictures and videos uploaded, and I didn't feel like re-doing any videos or pictures. I'll do so after my 4-day calc exam, so maybe next weekend.

~ompa

#11 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 05:21 PM

Clip looks cool and I am glad to see a handle loaded clip. The prep time seems a little long for a sidearm but its a step in the right direction. Good work!
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#12 m15399

m15399

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 05:26 PM

How does the clip stay in there? Does it have something to do with that peice of PVC sticking out on the left side?

#13 boltsniper

boltsniper

• Contributors
  • 591 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 06:09 PM

Very very nice, Ompa! It doesn`t look all that inproportional considering the amount of stuff that has to be behind the magazine. Definitely not unusable. I like how you rotued the trigger cord around the magazine. Very clever

50 feet isnt that bad at all. I`d be quite happy with that.

Edited by boltsniper, 23 April 2006 - 06:10 PM.

#14 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 06:44 PM

Actually, the friction between the balsa on the inside and the balsa on the outside is enough to keep it in. Otherwise, you COULD just put half pvc couplers in the handle and attach pvc pipe to the sides of the clip.

You're right; the gun takes a little while to load the clip and everything in, maybe 5-10 seconds. The gun itself though is just to see if it was possible to actually have a small gun that would still fire with the inherent seal issues (with a moving bolt it's harder to get a seal than with just a regular coupler/pvc barrel) with a clip and bolt. It was mildly successful, and I hope it serves as some sort of inspiration for you guys to take it further and make it better.

~ompa

#15 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 07:21 PM

This. Is. Awesome. You have achieved one of the sidearm Holy Grails...definitely inspiring.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#16 davidbowie

davidbowie

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 08:50 PM

^^what he said^^

What kind of seal do you have for the barrel? Given that it's reverse action (forward then back), couldn't you be getting a near perfect seal? I've found that a tapered sealing surface inside the barrel, covered in e-tape, does the job quite nicely.

50' is definitely good, especially for a really cool design.
Check out the all-new DBNerf. The source for all your DBNeeds.

#17 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 08:52 PM

^^what he said^^

What kind of seal do you have for the barrel? Given that it's reverse action (forward then back), couldn't you be getting a near perfect seal? I've found that a tapered sealing surface inside the barrel, covered in e-tape, does the job quite nicely.

50' is definitely good, especially for a really cool design.

AHHH! Why didn't I think of that? Tapered with e-tape... Ach. This entire time I've always tried to figure out how to get a better seal, and it's THAT SIMPLE. Argh.

Thanks DavidBowie, I didn't think of that, ever. Makes my clips alot better.

Keep in mind guys that 50' is max distance with 3 bands.

~ompa

#18 m15399

m15399

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 09:49 PM

Oh, how did you make it work like that? Does the bolt push the darts back against the plunger, making the darts enter the bolt itself?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users