Photo

Fast And Cheap Remote Controlled Car Or Plane?

8 replies to this topic

#1 Vicious-V

Vicious-V

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 11:23 PM

Any of you know any remote controlled cars or planes that go at a decent speed but cheap at the same time? About $20-$30 limit. Maybe 20-30mph?

#2 m15399

m15399

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 11:54 PM

Not a plane... $30 is the lowest price for a RC air plane and it won't go that fast.

#3 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 01:07 AM

You won't find anything for less than $100 for a rock-bottom R/C car that can attain "decent" speeds (over 15 mph). You know those Radio Shack ads that claim "800 feet per minute!" That's about 10 mph. I think the highest I've seen at RS was 1200 feet per minute, so that might be close.

The next issue is proportional steering. Cheaper R/C cars tend to have a solenoid type steering; in other words, full lock turn, or straight. This allows steering, but not the fine adjustments that higher-end cars may have. You want servo-controlled steering that you can trim and countersteer and give you control, which is about as important as speed.

There's a saying that carries over from the real racing world...into R/C. "Speed costs money, how fast did you want to go?" B)

About airplanes; there are so many inexpensive airplanes coming out, but it looks like they have no speed control, no real control surfaces except for maybe a rudder (so basically it's a powered glider that runs on power to climb, then you would probably left-circle it to land), and while good for learning the core basics of R/C flight, would probably get boring if you were expecting a fully controllable plane.

My son got an "Air Hogs" battery powered plane for his birthday; it is a free-flying, electric powered foam plane that uses about 15 seconds of battery flight to climb up to about 60-70 feet, then the motor idles and the plane begins a lazy spiral and landing to the ground...when it works right. Sometimes it does some exciting tight spins and we wonder how it survived the crashes. My son thinks it's a hoot.

Face it...R/C is still an expensive hobby when you want 'good stuff'. I ought to know...I maxed out my credit card when I was a college student on R/C stuff (Tower Hobbies-yikes!)

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#4 puggy

puggy

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 05:33 AM

I used to have an Air Hogs non-rc plane. It was cool, You used a pump to fill the bladder on the plane up. Then you flick the propeller and since it uses a cool valve thing. The airpressure keeps turning the propeller. The whole plane is light and it travels some far distances. It can take on a liitle bit of wind but to much will blow it off course. It was very fun and got some far ranges. It was cheap to. I think it was 20 dollars. It's worth it if you can find one.

#5 Vicious-V

Vicious-V

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 10:58 AM

Hmm...I think I'll get one of those Nitro R/Cs...The ones that can hit 55mph...But that would kill my funds for a Xbox 360. What do you guys think? R/C Nitro or a Xbox 360?

#6 Dan Wask

Dan Wask

• Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 11:57 AM

Hmm...I think I'll get one of those Nitro R/Cs...The ones that can hit 55mph...But that would kill my funds for a Xbox 360. What do you guys think? R/C Nitro or a Xbox 360?

RC. Go the hell outside. I'd suggest an electric if you are just starting out. Nitros can be a pain in the ass with all the glow plugs and starting. I'd reccoment picking up a RTR electric stadium truck. Team associated and team losi make some great trucks that are real quick. Also, check ebay. I got my team associated t3 already upgraded with all the gofast bits, a transmitter, 3 hicap batteries, and a charger for 78$. And just for the record, it regularly whooped nitro revos before I lowered it.
QUOTE (Arcanis @ Apr 9 2005, 12:02 AM)
When I insert a dick, nothing happens.

#7 boltsniper

boltsniper

• Contributors
  • 591 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 12:35 PM

Like Piney said speed is money, in cars anyway. I have a Nitro RS4 that I have had clocked at 86mph, but it is also heaviliy modded and has over $3000 in it. The electric car I have that I started a thread about a while back has about $1200 in it and will hit maybe 40-50mph. You can get a decent ready-to-run car for around $100-$120. HPI Makses a ready to run car called that Dash that runs around $100 I think. It's not going to be the fastest but not too bad for the price. HPI also has slightly better RTR kit called the Sprint. It runs around $250 and is fully upgradable and adjustable.

As far as planes go. If you want a fast plane, then first off you better be a good pilot and second you better have some cash. Most of the cheaper single channel planes are very slow so they can be flown by pretty much everyone. You really have to be on top of things when your plane is booking along at 60mph. It can get away from you very fast. Not syaing you can`t handle it just giving you a heads up. The park flyer craze is really taking off and you can pick one of those either in kit form or ready to fly for pretty cheap. Like Piney said, the really cheap RTF planes are going to be single channel and non proportional. Those can be fun but the novelty where off quickly. They will typicaly have a transitter with 4 or so buttons on it. Thrust, no thrust, full left, full right. You do a surprising amount of maneuvering with just those controls but I don`t find it much fun. Full function aircraft are definitely goin to run more than $30 and I don`t know of any complete RTF kits that come with radio and all that are full function. There are probably some out there though.

Check out towerhobbies.com. They have the most extensive selection of RC products and pretty good prices

#8 Vicious-V

Vicious-V

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 02:43 PM

I found a good electric RTR car on Ebay. So far only $0.99 with $22.50 shipping but I'll see how far the bidding goes. It ends in a day...But thanks for the helps guys.

#9 Uncle Hammer

Uncle Hammer

• Members
  • 750 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 05:29 PM

My friends bro just upped his motor from a 20 to a 19 turn for his bandit. That things gets going. I myself have a nitro sport from traxxas. And my friend just upgraded his tc3. There loads of fun to play with. The maintence is the only hassle.
Don't mess with Texas cuz its bigger than France, bitch..
QUOTE (Talio)
Catagory 5 hurricanes are the mighty dick of God.  You don't mess with that!  You don't mess with Gods dick!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users