14 replies to this topic

#1 Hunter

Hunter

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 11:46 AM

I recieved this a few minutes ago

-- I removed the link so nobody would inadvertently click it here -- C
If you wish to support our project, click there!
Excuse for troubling:)
With the best regards, Administration of "nerfhaven.com". Do not forget about us!

Is this serious, or has someone gotten into your email, Cxwq?
I'll click if it's legit, but I would assume Nerf Haven would have explained the situation better.
Until then, beware of clicking, i guess....?

Hunter
Hunter
Organizer Vancouver Area Nerf Series

#2 Vicious-V

Vicious-V

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 12:00 PM

That's an exe. Which most likely, it's a VIRUS!!

#3 Doom

Doom

NH's Official In-House Physicist

• Administrators
  • 559 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 12:03 PM

I doubt that email was legitimate. Seems to me as if someone ran a robot on nerfhaven.com and sent emails to all addresses they found. The writing style isn't even close to that of the administration here (note the smilie and the quoting of the domain name), so I doubt they sent it.

Then again, they might also have been hacked and someone took control of the mass emailing script that IPB has built-in. The "[Anonymoused]" repeated 4 times in the title is making me suspicious that this might be the case.

Edit: No email received here either.

Edited by Doom, 17 April 2006 - 12:11 PM.

#4 Vicious-V

Vicious-V

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 12:04 PM

You're getting that [Anonymoused] thing too? I thought it was just my computer...EII!! Do you think were getting hacked?

#5 The Infinite Shindig

The Infinite Shindig

Arma-what-now?

• Contributors
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 12:08 PM

I would recommend no one clicks the link in the email and just ignores all of this until we hear from cx. Talio and I know nothing about the servers running on the Haven, so we can't comment on what it is. I do know the site is running something from traffweb.biz as of recent, but that is all I know.

Edit: I have not received the email.
Shindig of the Lawn Chair Mafia

<a href="http://www.albinobla.../flash/posting" target="_blank">Posting and You</a>

#6 Anothernoob

Anothernoob

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 07:34 PM

Is what they did to the site prosecutable? Is it even illegal? If so, is it even worth it to press charges? I don't really know much about law or anything like that, but couldn't that be, at least, destruction of private property, or vandalism?

#7 NirvanaScorpion

NirvanaScorpion

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 07:45 PM

Sorry, I realize Im adding on to questions you might not even know, but are these going to be permanent or are we cleaning out nerfhaven, then going back?
"If rock n rolls illegal throw my a** in jail" - Kurt Cobain

Guitar Heroes-Jimmy Paige, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, Kurt Cobain

Newly Found(thanks General)-Yngwie Malmstein, this guy is an accoustic expert.

#8 Black Wrath

Black Wrath

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 07:54 PM

Sorry, I realize Im adding on to questions you might not even know, but are these going to be permanent or are we cleaning out nerfhaven, then going back?

Well, this is Nerfhaven. Same URL and everything.

What's being done is that Cx has just moved the site onto a new, updated version of Invision. Cx is going to make a skin that looks like the old blue one, and he's going to code a new portal page. Before long, this will look very much like the old NH, but it will have better security and stability.

So yes, this is permanent.
Xx_Black-Wrath_xX of The Canadian Foam Militia

Not in the game anymore, but it was great while it lasted. Thanks for the great years of fun, NH!
--
Resident "Spawn of Talio"

#9 NirvanaScorpion

NirvanaScorpion

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 07:57 PM

Arg, its pretty cool its going to help the site but I LOVED the whole side top 10 with the news, and everything, whatever the best for the site I guess.

Edited by NirvanaScorpion, 25 May 2006 - 05:20 PM.

"If rock n rolls illegal throw my a** in jail" - Kurt Cobain

Guitar Heroes-Jimmy Paige, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, Kurt Cobain

Newly Found(thanks General)-Yngwie Malmstein, this guy is an accoustic expert.

#10 Uncle Hammer

Uncle Hammer

• Members
  • 750 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 08:20 PM

It's going to be just like that. CX is remaking the skin....
Don't mess with Texas cuz its bigger than France, bitch..
QUOTE (Talio)
Catagory 5 hurricanes are the mighty dick of God.  You don't mess with that!  You don't mess with Gods dick!

#11 J cobbers

J cobbers

• Members
  • 586 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 08:36 PM

Is what they did to the site prosecutable? Is it even illegal? If so, is it even worth it to press charges? I don't really know much about law or anything like that, but couldn't that be, at least, destruction of private property, or vandalism?

The following is not legal advise, I am not a licensed attorney (not yet, but give me a couple months :D )don't start asking me legal questions until I am and you are willing to pay me. I do not represent anyone on Nerf Haven, and I am only giving educational advice:
Yes it is illegal, Hacking a website an messing with it is a felony. The real trick is of course excerzing jurisdiction over the hacker in question. CXWQ could report the attack to the feds, and work with them to figure out where the attack came from. Then pretty much as soon as the responcible party sets foot on American soil, he can be arrested and charged with the crime. There is not a statute of limitations that I am aware of. I am winding down on a course on white collar crime, which covered computer crimes and one of my friends just gave a presentation on computer crime today.
As for a law suit Cxwq could probably sue as well, in federal court, though I'm not sure what the likelyhood of recovery would be. The real trick here is tracking down the actual hacker and serving them with the law suit, finding their assets ect. Assuming it is someone in Russia, goodluck. International law is not my schtick and things would probably be long, drawn out and expensive.

Don't forget to eat your meat based vegetable substitute children.

#12 pat 1st Lt

pat 1st Lt

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 09:10 PM

It's going to be just like that. CX is remaking the skin....

Good. All this white and subdued blue hurts my eyes. It's diffcult to read anything with all this white space in the background.

I hope it'll be that dark, cool blue again. I liked that color. It gave the site a sort of 'homy' feeling. Most sites are all boring white, but ours was blue. And that was pretty cool to be unique.

Just checked my e-mail, and no letter for me. Good thing too: I probably would have clicked it.

Sincerley,
Pat
QUOTE(euphemism) View Post
QUOTE(Pat) View Post

It gave the site a sort of 'homy' feeling.

Did you know that "m" can sometimes look like "rn" when read quickly?

#13 euphemism

euphemism

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 09:23 PM

Edited by euphemism, 18 April 2006 - 09:23 PM.

#14 Black Wrath

Black Wrath

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 09:25 PM

I too became sexually charged when viewing the inde...

Sorry.

I can't wait for the blue skin, but let's give Cx some time. He's got a lot on his plate right now, and that's not even including NH. We'll get our beautiful facade soon enough.

Edited by Black Wrath, 18 April 2006 - 09:26 PM.

Xx_Black-Wrath_xX of The Canadian Foam Militia

Not in the game anymore, but it was great while it lasted. Thanks for the great years of fun, NH!
--
Resident "Spawn of Talio"

#15 NerfLad78

NerfLad78

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 07:09 PM

www.NerfHaven.orgy

Edited by NerfLad78, 22 May 2006 - 07:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users