Splitfire Quandary

plugging holes and such

14 replies to this topic

#1 LordoftheRing434

LordoftheRing434

• Members
  • 565 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 07:45 PM

I am currently modding a Splitfire and after putting in a couple of CPVC barrels, I noticed air escaping after I pumped it up. It holds only a little bit of pressure now, and will only release through the 2nd barrel. I looked through Cx's mod, and it mentions that he plugged 2 small holes that Hasbro had in the gun. I'm still wondering which holes to which he was referring to. I plugged the two holes on top of the barrel (about the size of a pen tip), and both fairly large sqare holes at an awkward angle in the stock barrels.

The air still escapes after plugging both of these sets of holes. Does anyone know of any other holes I need to plug in order to restore air maintenance? The only difference: I did NOT saw my stock barrels in the gun. I'm not sure if this is something inside the back of the barrels that I need to saw to get at. Any help would be appreciated. Reward in doing so is another happy write-up and you will have your name credited in it. Thanks.

~Rings
And when he gets to Heaven, to St. Peter he will tell, "One more soldier reporting sir, I've served my time in hell."

"I bluff it. I don't throw my weight around and say I know what I'm doing." ~ Mick Jagger

#2 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 07:53 PM

From my experiance, those holes aren't the issue. It's something to do with your tank, which is definately not covered in his mod. See if you can locate from which part of the tank the leak is coming from, and proceed as needed. Try some type of lubricating spray if it's from the opening from the chamber to the barrel, and plumber's goop/epoxy if there's a crack or anything.

~ompa

#3 NinjZ

NinjZ

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 07:57 PM

Yakman's website has more detail on the holes you are mentioning. I tried googling for the site but it couldnt find it. I'm sure someone can provide a link.

#4 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 08:00 PM

The SAME exact thing happens to mine. As Ompa said it doesn't have to do with the little holes. I've tried lubing the barrels and that doesn't work. The thing I'd recomend is repluging the pump plug. If you find a solution please let me know thanks.
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#5 LordoftheRing434

LordoftheRing434

• Members
  • 565 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 08:40 PM

Will the usual trick of sticking it underwater to find a leak work out here, or will it damage (further damage?) the tank? I was really hoping this wasn't the case. :lol: I'll give the lube a shot, hopefully something comes of it.

UPDATE: Still no success. I sprayed some silicone lubricant down the barrels to the chamber, and now it gurgles where the air leaks out. I have determined that the air leaks out the seal between the chamber and the barrel. Air still escapes, and only a slight amount is retained to give the left barrel a tiny oomph (probably enough to let the dart leave the barrel). The air rushes out the right chamber and basically nothing is left. It sounds like the SS2 problem Bags was having.

Could this be the check valve? I really hope not, as I don't see how I could have damaged it. The gun was in perfect working order before I opened it. I removed the pins/X's and now it magically leaks. Perhaps something got into the tank when I removed them? This is the oddest problem I have come across.

nerfer34 - Do you mean the over-pressure release valve? I plugged that with hot glue upon opening the gun, and it remains intact. If that's what you mean by the "pump plug", I've done it to no avail.

Edited by LordoftheRing434, 13 April 2006 - 10:12 PM.

And when he gets to Heaven, to St. Peter he will tell, "One more soldier reporting sir, I've served my time in hell."

"I bluff it. I don't throw my weight around and say I know what I'm doing." ~ Mick Jagger

#6 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 11:15 PM

If you accidentaly snipped a little too far, you may have snipped the o-ring at the edge of the chamber. If that's the case, you may be screwed.

Posted Image
/\Stolen from Baghead's mod/\

See that little black ring behind the plastic ring? If I'm correct, that's the o-ring.

EDIT: Actually, try something really quickly; pump the gun really quickly, and see if somehow a seal miraculously forms within a few pumps. For some reason, that happens with my Secret Shot II's.

~ompa

#7 baghead

baghead

Cheetos

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 11:22 PM

If you accidentaly snipped a little too far, you may have snipped the o-ring at the edge of the chamber. If that's the case, you may be screwed.

Posted Image
/\Stolen from Baghead's mod/\

See that little black ring behind the plastic ring? If I'm correct, that's the o-ring.

EDIT: Actually, try something really quickly; pump the gun really quickly, and see if somehow a seal miraculously forms within a few pumps. For some reason, that happens with my Secret Shot II's.

~ompa

now if that only worked on my SS2 that's busted...

i have that leak problem with a couple of ss2s and it's not working. But the fast priming did work for my splitfire.

-bags

Don't call it a comeback, I never left.

#8 LordoftheRing434

LordoftheRing434

• Members
  • 565 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 11:51 PM

Fast priming helped me work up enough pressure in the left barrel to fire a wimpy shot. The air still escapes from the right barrel though.

My only diagnosis now is that the firing pin in the right side came dislodged somehow, and it stays open so air rushes out. I'm not sure as to how I'm going to fix something like that. The thing would be fucking hard to get at. If anyone else has an idea, I'd like to hear it.

Anyways, thanks to everyone for all the stand-by help. It's greatly appreciated. It's almost like people are "on-call" too. I guess that write-up might not be on its way after all...

~Rings

#9 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 12:10 AM

Open it up and make sure the pieces are all in their correct tracks. If one is off, one of the valves may remain open.

~ompa

#10 pat 1st Lt

pat 1st Lt

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 03:38 PM

This is a fairly common problem that I like to call "Owning a Splitfire/Secret Shot 2".

The seals on both these guns are EXTREMELY tempermental and very very fragile.

There are only two solutions I've been able to find: use liberal amounts of Silicon Lubricant to lube up the o-rings. If this doesn't work, try moving the firing pins around (jiggling, rotating, etc).

If neither works, you're screwed. You cannot really take the air-tank apart on a splitfire, at least on mine, as they're epoxied together.

The Splitfire is an excellent gun, if you can get it to work. However, it is ALL too easy to break. In 2000, we had 4 SplitFires. Now, we have 1. All the others 'lost' their seal. That is, the o-rings dried out to the point that we couldn't really fix them, or we used the wrong kind of lubricant which ruined the plastic.

Try propping the airtanks straight up, and putting silicon lubricant in the little 'wells' and letting it sit there for ~3 hours. Come back, leave it in this upright position, pump it a few times, and leave it there again.

Repeat this process about four times. If it doesn't work the fourth time, scrap the gun for parts. But, then again, SplitFires don't really have any parts to scrap.

Well, good luck. I hope you get your SplitFire working: it's an excellent gun when it isn't refusing to cooperate.

Sincereley,
Pat
QUOTE(euphemism) View Post
QUOTE(Pat) View Post

It gave the site a sort of 'homy' feeling.

Did you know that "m" can sometimes look like "rn" when read quickly?

#11 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 10:25 PM

If you hold the dart in the barrel as you're pumping it, it will hold the seal well enough to get off a full-power shot. This only works with a stock splitfire/SS2 with stock darts, and its very akward, but its the only way I've gotten my SS2 (with the same problem) to work.

Probably dead by now, or something.

#12 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 02:44 AM

Whatever you do. Do not use jigaloo silicone lubricant here. I sprayed it into the firing valve of a titan and it made it leak. The Titan was unrepairable.

Titan you served me well. Rest in peices.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#13 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 10:46 AM

I don't know if this will help you at all or not, but the splitfire does not, in fact, actually have what you would consider to be a "firing pin".

The red pieces of plastic that the trigger pulls out do NOT, in fact, directly open up the front of the airtank to release air out the barrel. The system is more complex than that.

The reason that the first few pumps should be done quickly, is because the air being pumped in, is being pumped into an open airtank. However, it is being put into the chamber through a small pipe that goes through the middle of the tank, straight at a cylindrical chunk of black rubber, that serves as the sealing "o-ring" that you all are referrring to. This black chunk of rubber is on the end of a somewhat larger plastic pipe that sits loose around the first one that the air comes in through, to hold the rubber in line with the air output hole.

So when you pump it, the air comes out of those first pipes to push the rubber stopper against the hole. The increased pressure inside the chamber makes a (relatively speaking) area of low pressure on the outside of the chamber (the barrel) which holds the rubber stopper in place. So you continue pumping air into the chamber to buld up more pressure.

When the so-called "firing pins" are pulled out, they are completely unconnected to the rubber stoppers. They are actually letting air SEEP OUT of the air chamber, out the same way it came in. Through those pipes. This creates a suction/low pressure area in the pipes, which sucks the rubber stoppers back against the pipes, closing off the air's opening...AND UNCOVERING THE HOLE TO THE BARREL. So all the pressure still in the tanks goes out the barrels.

This is why if you pull the trigger very slowly on a splitfire, you can potentially let all of the air out without the darts leaving the barrel. The air seeps out the back slowly enough that enough suction is not generated to pull the stopper off the hole.

Hope this helps.
----------||||||||)
QUOTE(Ilùvatar @ 0000) View Post
Of the theme that I have declared to you, I will now that ye make in harmony together a Great Music.

#14 blink 182

blink 182

• Members
  • 421 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 04:52 PM

That once happened with my SF. He is a trick I used.

-Mix a Vegi oil and WD40 mixture up within a small bowl.
-Grab a Q-Tip and dip it into the mixture (Be Generious)
-Soak the black seal at the bottom of the barrel with the mixture and let it dry for around 5-10 min.

-This solution might work. The wd40 will repair the "dried out" o-ring and the oil will help it to create a seal. Let it dry and repeat it again. This should do the trick.
New Price On Freedom, Buy Into It While Supplies Last...

#15 LordoftheRing434

LordoftheRing434

• Members
  • 565 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 09:28 PM

That's definitely worth a shot. My only fear there is the effect of the WD40 on the rubber afterwards. Perhaps the same can be done with silicone lube? I'm going to try it with silicone, because that's what I have available to me. Thanks, hopefully it helps!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users