Inter Continental Nerf Missile

Not quite Inter Continental...

21 replies to this topic

#1 nerfturtle

nerfturtle

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 09:34 PM

Today, I woke up at 2 in the afternoon, crawled out of bed, took a shower, then called some friends to see if I could do anything. No one was around, so I had the rest of the day to do whatever.
Thats where this comes in.
Posted Image
It is not just supposed to be a giant missile, but it is supposed to rain pieces of foam on opponents from a hole in the back.
Posted Image
However, if you just put them in and throw it, they will just come out in the first ten feet or so, not something that has use in a war.
So, here is what I did to compensate for that.
Posted Image
See that plug? it has a string coming out of the back, which then goes to one of your hands.
So it is supposed to fly a while, and then have the bach pulled off about mid-flight, and have the pieces of foam:
Posted Image
rain out one by one out of the back of the missile.
Here is a video of the plug coming out after a very short flight.
Posted Image
The only problem is that the foam does not come out of the back when the plug comes out. I have tried many different things including foam size, plug tightness, and missile weight.
Any ideas?
I would really like to get this thing working.

Edited by nerfturtle, 17 November 2007 - 09:34 PM.

The tough coughs as he ploughs the dough.
-Dr. Suess

#2 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 09:39 PM

They're not going to come out in flight: you have an inertia problem. The rocket is already flying forward, and so is the payload. When the plug comes out the back, there's no force acting on the payload to make it stop moving forward...so it keeps going with the rocket. Now, if the payload was somehow connected to teh plug, so when the plug came out, a package was pulled out of the rocket....
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#3 NerfGnome

NerfGnome

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 09:40 PM

Maybe you should try different "raining" darts, like stefans. The ones you are using look too big.
"Women are like Parking spots. The good ones are taken, and the only open ones are handicapped."

#4 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 09:55 PM

Neat idea, but I hate the string pulling part.

Maybe rather than dumping the foam out of the rocket when it's in the air you should put a primitive plunger system in there to force the foam out the back when the head hits something (the head would be coated in foam to prevent people from getting injured). It wouldn't be as cool as having the foam pieces fly out up in the air but then you could hit the ground near whatever you want the foam to hit and it would fly upward; and if you used a lot of shotgun darts weighted with BBs or something you could fit a shitload in there to make sort of a cloud when they shot out.

I don't know, pulling a string just seems like an awful mechanism to me. If the right spring exists it would be nifty to put one in that would push against the plug, but not with enough force to shove it out of the rocket until it reaches its maximum height and the force keeping the spring partially compressed reverses when the rocket starts its descent and allows the spring to pop the plug out.

Again, it would be really difficult to find the right spring for that, but if the rocket shot fast enough (equating to more force keeping the spring partially compressed) and you had a weak enough spring and plug, you could probably make it work. Then you'd just adjust the angle at which you fire the rocket to make the foam shoot out over different areas. If the barrel went inside the rocket that would keep the plug in there and the spring compressed and make it possible to load it without it firing.
SexD Warves

#5 aguineapig

aguineapig

• Banned
  • 84 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 10:52 PM

You could try putting a spring in the end of the pool noodle first, then put the foam pieces in and then the plug, that would push the foam out. But it would have to be just the right strength, otherwise the cork would pop before it could get more then 10-15 feet. It's seems like it'd be a little simpler then NM's plunger idea.

Edited by aguineapig, 17 November 2007 - 10:53 PM.

fun-petitive!

Her brother literally almost pissed herself.

DO NOT CLICK!!

#6 nerfturtle

nerfturtle

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 10:56 PM

I don't think the plunger idea would work, the missile is not traveling fast enough fro that to launch a dart any good distance. I actually tried using some different springs, but you are right, you would need a perfect spring to get it to work. I think I am going to go with Carbon's idea, having the foam pieces attatched in some way to the plug. I'll update this tommarow morning.
-Dr. Suess

#7 Cannonball

Cannonball

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 03:32 AM

you could use a thin cloth/tissue/towel to pull the little pieces of foam out of the back end. 1, maybe even 2 corners of the cloth would be enough to be connected to the plug to pull out the darts in the rocket, yet allow them to fall when they are out of it.

#8 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 07:09 AM

Did you purposefully weight the pieces of foam with only a screw? Maybe if you weighted them more they'd have more inertia and fly out of the missile more consistently.
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#9 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 08:50 AM

Did you purposefully weight the pieces of foam with only a screw? Maybe if you weighted them more they'd have more inertia and fly out of the missile more consistently.

That won't work. Or rather, it will give them more inertia, but that will make them less likely to fall out. Heavier darts will be in motion already (just like lighter ones) and will need an outside force to dislodge them. A spring system seems the most likely way for that to happen.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#10 Blasphemy

Blasphemy

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 08:55 AM

You could have a long pin connected to the plug which fits loosely through the center of each dart. You'd have to pull a second time after you've already pulled them out to release the plug and pin from the darts.
When speaking about a swallow, always make sure you know whether it is an African or European swallow. It is very important.

#11 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 10:08 AM

I have two ideas:

1) Connect the ribbon through your plug to a stopper in front of the darts. That way, when the plug comes out, so does the stopper, and the stopper pulls the darts out on its way.

2) Put some vents in the front of the missile leading through to the dart chamber. When the plug is pulled, air will move through the vents and (hopefully) push out the darts. In the mean time, however -- unless you had air holes in your plug -- the missile would move slower.
" Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Mr. Creedy. Beneath this mask there is an idea...
...and ideas are bulletproof. "
V

#12 nerfturtle

nerfturtle

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 04:22 PM

Ok, so I tried Carbon's idea just right now.
Here is what the plug now looks like:
Posted Image
Here is what it looks like halfway into the missile.
Posted Image
I would have taken a video, but it is horrible quality, and you can't see what happens.
Bottom Line:
It worked, but not well enough to use in a war.
The missile can't be thrown very far without it being very unstable, making the plug not come out.
Darts coming down 15 feet in front of you isn't that great.
However, I am not giving up just yet. I am going to find something a little bit more areodynamic, that can be thrown very far while sill being stable, like a foam football.
If anyone here would also like to try this, it would be great to have someone to work with.
-Dr. Suess

#13 Guest_yourface_*

Guest_yourface_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2007 - 05:22 PM

When I saw this, I thought some retard had bumped the old topic about Nerf's "secret intercontinental missile in a giant silo underground". But it wasn't, thank god. I like your idea, but it isn't too practical. It's the perfect lazy Sunday project. I might try and improve it, I'll PM you if I get any good results.

#14 angrscottishkid

angrscottishkid

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 06:27 PM

Why not build an air cannon to fire it out of? They only cost about $30 to make. I use one similar to this for paintball, they pack a pretty good punch.

http://rpgchronicles.blogspot.com/
In the words of colonel Sanders, I'm to drunk to chase this chicken.

#15 Twitch

Twitch

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 06:28 PM

Not to hijack the thread...

I made something similar to this a few months ago, but used the arrows from a BBB. I carved a trench along the length of the arrow, and glued springs inside. (from my Maverick & Firefly AR's) after that, I filled the trench with either micro stefans, for just dart heads, then cut a small rectangle of plastic to make a "window" which was squeezed over the trench/darts. The "window" was glued to fishing line, which was then tied to the BBB. when the arrow was fired, and reached the end of the line, the window was pulled off, and the spring would launch the dart heads in a small spray, which would then rain down. (the arrow would of course be fired over the enemy's heads and whatever they were using as cover.) I know it's not immediately helpful, but figured it wouldn't hurt to share what I'd tried in the past.
"If Groove was a woman, I'd totally have asked him to go home with me tonight ...is that weird?"
~bpso86

"Being a moderator on NHQ is like being a judge in the Special Olympics."
~JediJoe9

#16 NerferKid

NerferKid

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 10:51 PM

Would the little parachutes that come with the plastic soldier men work?.. Like,the kind you throw up and bunch up in the air?
Let me try to find a link.
...thing happens to mine sometimes, stick your finger in the barrel to make it air tight, then pump a couple times to re-close it... If that doesnt work then you have to open it up and pull the rod back.For me I have to pump 55 and I get a shot that can break through soft wood, consistantly.-rokor

#17 Skitzo

Skitzo

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 11:09 PM

I made this a while ago.
Its does pretty much the same thing you are trying to do.
I've improved it since then and it works great.
I just find it a waste of darts in a full scale war.

Skitzo-

Edited by Skitzo, 18 November 2007 - 11:10 PM.

If soldiers were to begin to think, not one of them would remain in the army.- Frederick The Great

#18 nerfsharpie6

nerfsharpie6

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 11:31 PM

They're not going to come out in flight: you have an inertia problem. The rocket is already flying forward, and so is the payload. When the plug comes out the back, there's no force acting on the payload to make it stop moving forward...so it keeps going with the rocket. Now, if the payload was somehow connected to teh plug, so when the plug came out, a package was pulled out of the rocket....

Hm... a small zip top bag would work for that. Put them in and roll it up, put it on the plug so when it ejects the bag would unfurl dropping your pay load like a cluster bomb raining on innocent people. But how man missles would you need to make it an effective delivery system in a war. You would need 5 to make a difference because well people could dodge them before they got hit. With 5 you would have lots of foamy death raining down on them making it less possible to dodge.
We hang our flags and banners of victory off of your dead bodies.

#19 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 02:17 AM

I built the plunger-based rocket over 5 years ago:

http://www.frostvect...et/nerf_rpg.htm

Don't mind the horrible website.
Latest Modification: The Professional

"I am a leaf on the wind--watch how I soar" - Hoban "Wash" Washburne, Serenity.

#20 lionhead333

lionhead333

Aslan

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 06:52 AM

Maybe a specialized home made to fire it?
Think of a grappeling gun.
...................................................\
1========1-----------------o-------I
/_/ ............................................. /
The .'s are empty space.

Your pull string is attached to the gun, then you adjust the length, load, and fire farther than you've been throwing it.
Or a Titan.
When the missile reaches your chosen range, the string pulls itself out, scattering the darts.

EDIT: I'm sorry, I didn't realize this had been said.
See what happens when I'm tired?

Edited by lionhead333, 19 November 2007 - 07:00 AM.

QUOTE(Ubermensch)
If I were you, I wouldn't mess with the mods, or make stupid mistakes like misspelling their names. I mean, CAVV is really tough on that kind of thing

Most recent write up-
Sharpshooter 2

#21 umdlancer

umdlancer

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 12:01 PM

Another possibility is an indirect fire deployment mechanism.

You would have to build a different missile with a hollow for holding your payload, and I haven't tried it out yet, but here's a sketch.

Posted Image

Edited by umdlancer, 20 November 2007 - 12:37 PM.

#22 Skitzo

Skitzo

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 11:14 AM

Just realized I didn't put the link in my other post.
Here it its. -----> LINK!

Skitzo-
If soldiers were to begin to think, not one of them would remain in the army.- Frederick The Great

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users