2003 Sdno Planning Thread

San Diego Nerf Out

36 replies to this topic

#1 neonerfer

neonerfer

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 19 July 2003 - 01:14 PM

Jangadance brought a topic up about how he was gonna be in San Diego from the 24'th to the 30'th and that was around when we were going to do a San Diego Nerf Out. I'm not sure as to what my family is doing, but I think the 26'th is good. We have a beach house this coming week, then going to Louisville for a wedding the 2'nd to the 6'th, so I think the 26 would be the only time I could do it unless we do it after the 6'th. The location that we had last year was simply amazing.

The war will be at Felicita Park in Escondido. There's a huge rock structure in the middle of the warzone, that offers great cover and places to "eat shit." Around that there's enormous oak trees scattered all about. These things are 4-6 feet in diameter, great for cover. There's a creek running to the right with lots of bridges, and the rock structure sits on a large hill. Aside from that, there's lots of big rocks and fallen trees to hide behind. Finding darts wasn't as bad as we'd expected, but not as easy as it is at Venaldo. I prefer this place to the LANO area, as there's alot more cover and stealth tactics can really come into play. This park is huge, and this place is on the outskirts of it, so no one will really bug us. We did have someone call us "Nerf Nerds" last year...he was delt with swiftly and effectively. The rangers have no problem with us, and they thought it was kinda cool. They did say that if anyone in the park was accidentally shot, we would all be kicked out. It's not much of a problem, no more innocent bystanders than at a LANO.

It's about 45 mins from San Diego, 1 hour from Irvine and 2 hours from Santa Monica.

I know that all of my crew will be there, as they have no lives, and obey each and every one of my commands. That should be Me, Toj, Mark, Sam, Jon and perhaps Jeff and/or Carlo. Waylo has expressed interest in it, I'm guessing he'd bring 4 people or so. Who else thinks they can come?

SM? Senor Box? CXWQ? Ray? Ska Boy Evan? Waylo? Sandman? Come on people, you know you need to go to this.
"Do not question that which is. Question that which will never be."

#2 ZATZAi

ZATZAi

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 19 July 2003 - 01:49 PM

I'm thinking about it... I do like to go down to San Diego on the train, but I'd rather not have to go there and come back in the same day, I'd need to find a fair priced hotel...

I'll have to check travelaxis ...26th you say?

EDIT:

Well, I did a scan on travelaxis, found some decent prices for a one night stay. Still not sure if I want to go. Does the trolly stop near the park?

Travelaxis Prices

Oh, if someone else is considereing travelling this far, preferably someone I know already, and they want to bunk up, I'm open to that...

#3 mr box

mr box

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 19 July 2003 - 11:01 PM

I'll see. It's possible.
"Oh and Box, you have quoted me incorrectly so fix your sig!"
~Spoon

#4 neonerfer

neonerfer

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 20 July 2003 - 02:54 AM

I think the cloest train station is about 20-30 mins away from the park.

EDIT : Okay, I really spaced here. Looks like we're getting back from vacation on the 26'th, so then 27'th would work for me. I thought we were getting back a day sooner. How's the 27'th for anyone interested?

#5 ZATZAi

ZATZAi

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 20 July 2003 - 04:29 PM

If it's on a Sunday, I'm out for sure, not doable with work.

Oh, and I wanted to know if there were any trolley stations near the park, not the train station. Youw know how San Diego has those red trolleys running around the Balboa park and such?

#6 neonerfer

neonerfer

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 20 July 2003 - 05:09 PM

Oh, sorry, no trolleys. The park is in North San Diego County, a bit away from Balboa and downtown San Diego. Jangadance, how's Sunday?

I was thinking about maybe post poning the war to mid august. It's just seems like too short of notice for everyone, including myself. Sandman may be able to come mid august, and I hate to screw Jangadance, but I think it would work much better. Input?

#7 ZATZAi

ZATZAi

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 01:36 AM

That wouldbe better for me, but is must be a Saturday. And I'll definately try to go if Andrew is coming down...

Man, two nerf wars within a week of each other...

NOT THE SAME DAY AS YANO!!

#8 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 10:17 AM

Give us as much lead time as possible and I'll try to make it down for at least part of the day.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#9 neonerfer

neonerfer

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 02:15 PM

Yeah I think Saturday would work better for everyone. How's August 16'th?

#10 Jangadance

Jangadance

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 10:43 PM

Hey guys, I'm logging in from a pay-to-surf computer at a hippie hostel out near Yosemite. My travel plans are the same, I'll be in San Diego from the 25th til the 30th. Sorry if the editing is bad, the spacebar is broken and I'm paying for this post anyhow. To get to the point, is there any way we could get some sort of nerf war going on while I'm in SD? I smuggled 3 guns in my checked luggage, and all made the voyage successfully, so I'd like to put them to some use.

I'll be staying with my friend Matt who has a car, somewhere in the San Diego or Coronado area. You guys would really like to meet me anyhow, I'll tell you that now! Haha. So try and get some day set up so we can shoot each other a little bit. See ya- Jangadance
"The 'dance goes on..."

#11 neonerfer

neonerfer

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 11:03 PM

Sorry to change it on ya, but I don't think we'll be able to do it. We get back on the 25'th then leave for Louisville for a wedding on the first. We're gonna be pretty busy.

#12 ShatteredDreams

ShatteredDreams

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 12:38 AM

I know that all of my crew will be there, as they have no lives, and obey each and every one of my commands.  That should be Toj and no one else cause he's cooler then me =P

I think I can make it.... but...you've never owned me...I just made you think that....get a life...bitch...
"Diplomats are just as esential to starting a war, as soldiers are to finishing it."- Will Rogers.

#13 Jangadance

Jangadance

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 02:42 PM

Okay, I'm at a public library internet station now, much better than before. ShatteredDreams will be around, but NeoNerfer is out of town? Who else will be in town? Saturday is probably the best day if we want cxwq to stop by for a bit, he said in one of his other posts that Saturdays are usually the best.

I brought mini stefan making equipment, so let's hear if we can get more people in the SoCal area and I'll go back to the hotel room and start workin'. ;)
"The 'dance goes on..."

#14 neonerfer

neonerfer

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 06:12 PM

Sorry Janga, I think he said he could make it on the 16'th. He's from my crew.

#15 Jangadance

Jangadance

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 10:23 PM

Alright, damn! So, looks like no war, unless someone wants me to come visit them on their family vacation and ambush them with a PC. (And I'm assuming no one does.) But if anyone is in the area, I'm at the LA Airport now, and I want to see some of your gear and meet you (You, in the general "fellow-nerfer" sense.) Just leave me a private message or email me at glenn_625@yahoo.com if you'll be hanging around SoCal for the next few days, maybe I'll see if I can swing by. Otherwise, I'll catch you guys around, at IRC or wherever else. Ta-ta!
"The 'dance goes on..."

#16 superadaquabat

superadaquabat

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 26 July 2003 - 11:40 AM

Darn it, I bet this is the 26th of July, isn't it? Once again I screw up. But man that location was totally awesome.
Happiness is a foam gun.

#17 neonerfer

neonerfer

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 26 July 2003 - 01:40 PM

Actually the war was rescheduled to August 16'th. We're thinking from 11-5. Hope to see you and your dad there!

#18 superadaquabat

superadaquabat

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 26 July 2003 - 04:02 PM

Woohoo! Haven't missed it, yet. I plan on comming! Maybe I'll get there in time for three wars this time!
Happiness is a foam gun.

#19 Sandman

Sandman

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 27 July 2003 - 07:14 AM

I'm hoping to be down there for it. I'll let you know when I get my plane tickets.

EDIT: My plane leaves August 16th, so I don't think I'll be down there in time, nor in any condition to after jet lag. Sorry guys...

#20 Sandman

Sandman

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 10 August 2003 - 01:54 AM

Ehhh, what's going on with the war? Haven't heard any updates in a while, and was wondering if I should be making an attempt to stop by after my plane gets in.

#21 neonerfer

neonerfer

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 10 August 2003 - 04:45 AM

I just type up a huge reply and somehow lost it. Here we go again. First battle starts at 11. My crew is going to get there at about 10:30. Be ready to play at 11, and eat before hand. At 2 or so, we'll have a 20-30 min break. You're encouraged to bring a snack to eat during this break. We'll have 5-10 minutes between each battle, and ammo pick up after every battle. Everyone who shot ammo in the round will pick up all ammo, not just their own. Then we'll regroup, and pile then claim the ammo from the last round. We'll be playing mostly standard 5 hit wars, west coast style. Count down for 15 seconds, counting the last 5 out loud before you are back in. Please try not to take more than 30 seconds between lives, as we want this war to be as fast paced as possible. If a park ranger or police officer needs to talk to us, let me do the talking. If any non nerf war participants are hit, or hurt as a result of our nerfing, we will most likely be kicked out. If we somehow are not kicked out, but a civilian is hit with your dart, you may as well go home, because you won't ne allowed to play for the rest of the day. Please people, think about where your dart is going to land before you shoot, don't ruin the war for everyone else. The park rangers are pretty strict. If any punk kids give us trouble, don't by any means resort to any sort physical contanct, including shooting them. Don't even threaten them. I don't know if our location has power outlets, so bring batteries for any electronic devices. Don't bring anything expensive that you would hate to lose because it will just tie you down. We'll be playing in the same area as last year, near the creek with the waterfalls. Our tables are at the beggining of the downhill to the creek, ask a park ranger at the front where it is. It's to the left once you eneter the park. If we are for any reason kicked out of the area, of it if is too crowed, we'll play near the large feild. There are trees skirting the sides, and a large ditch running through it. There's bridges over the ditch, and one bridge leads to an "island" looking piece of land, mostly surrounded by the ditch. There's a large, broad tree over there, so look for that. We will more than likely be fine in the original area though. If we need to change, or you can't find the park and/or site, give my cell a call. (760)533-4941, I guess I feel okay posting this, but of course don't abuse it. I'll try to kee it on at all times. At 5, we'll finish up our war, and do one last clean-up/dart pickup. Obviously don't bring anything illegal to the park. Post any questions you have, hope to see you all there.

#22 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 10 August 2003 - 12:34 PM

I'll be there.

Julie will take pictures for the site.

We may have to leave a bit early... ~4:30
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#23 neonerfer

neonerfer

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 10 August 2003 - 01:35 PM

Sounds good. Oh, and if Julie wants to get some video, I can edit it if you like.

#24 superadaquabat

superadaquabat

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 10 August 2003 - 07:53 PM

Is hand to hand stuff allowed?
Happiness is a foam gun.

#25 Sandman

Sandman

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 10 August 2003 - 08:01 PM

Sweet, I'll try to pack some guns with me then. I'll try to stop by after my plane comes in, so expect me mid-afternoon sometime.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users