Nerf Grenade

there has been talk.......

92 replies to this topic

#76 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 04:27 PM

Agreed. I really like the design. While it does use quite a bit of materials, it also appears rather simple.

The question I have is, how does the air escape once the nose cone hits something? I get that it's suppose to push back for an air release, but wouldn't the O... I get it now.

So, any alternate solutions for someone without PETG? :D

EDIT: Okay, I'll stop asking and start answering. It looks like a 1" frame with 1/2" couplers would work pretty well. Or you could just drill holes in 3/4." Actually, yea, that's what I think I'll do. Now, what O-rings to use...

Edited by Flaming Hilt, 11 April 2006 - 04:29 PM.

" Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Mr. Creedy. Beneath this mask there is an idea...
...and ideas are bulletproof. "
V

#77 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 05:08 PM

*cough*BUS FRAME*cough*
Well, I have a point about the weight...

Anyway, that's pretty neat, but I don't see it being able to shoot all too well.

I was also thinking about that band design. I'm probably gonan have the fram so full of holes it's not gonna be funny...

Well, I'm gonna have to go charge my camera tomorrow in anticipation for Thursday's cannon shoot. I'm gonna probably be posting a good half hour or more of videos of just about all of my homemades. Don't worry, only 'nade tests and cannon power demonstrations will be posted in this thread. Most others will be edits.

I think I'm gonna have to build a new cannon/mortar thingy. This one isn't too user-friendly. I do not need any ideas for that. I already know how it's gonna be done...I think...

I also came up with a landmine based off of one of those earlier posts by...umm...nerfer34? I think...I'll post it later.
"Fear the man with one gun, for he probably knows how to use it."

#78 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 05:35 PM

I chose PETG (polyester) because
1. It's dirt cheap (usually less than a dollar per foot in tube or rod form)
2. It comes in a variety of sizes
3. You can adhere it to itself using solvent.
4. It's a fairly light plastic but is very impact resistant and under heavy loads it will warp instead of shatter. It's a very safe but still durable building material.

I was just trying to get the idea out of my head quickly this morning so yeah it might be so-so in it's current form but the main mechanical feature will help me make more effective versions.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 11 April 2006 - 05:38 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#79 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 09:56 PM

I also came up with a landmine based off of one of those earlier posts by...umm...nerfer34? I think...I'll post it later.

Woo! My idea has found some use. I now understand Cs's design...I think it is interesting and just gave me ANOTHER idea.
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#80 kaiman299

kaiman299

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 11:21 AM

there's also mine

#81 wick817

wick817

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 05:12 PM

kaiman, I have a question. how far do the dart peices go?
I dont think they would go that far.But correct me if im wrong.

Also how big are the dart peices?

I thought might of sounded a little mean in this post, if so i am sorry.
This is funny
My freind: You cant hit from there
Me:Yes i can... BANG(from my singled AT2K)
My friend:OOOWWWWW My arm.

#82 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 08:43 PM

I for one hate the smell of vinegar. Also the prospect of cutting your darts up into small pieces will mean they dont travel far at all. To work effectively you would need to have each piece as a foam wrapped BB. To then have these soaked in vinegar is just a bit too festy for me.

Also the need to get the right amounts, the right timing, and the right pressure on the lid... you could just shoot them in the face?
Oh Kentucky, you are so fuggin awesome...

#83 KnightValor

KnightValor

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 09:13 PM

Okay, I am going to throw out an idea that probably won't help anybody, but they can think about it.

I once found an online article of this guy who made an airsoft bazooka which was basically a gigantic pressurized tank of air that shoved a zip lock bag full of BBs at wherever you were aiming.

Perhaps making foam-cased metal (plastic works, too though) BBs wrapped in some kind of soft tissue in front, but something sturdier (like cardboard) in the back. Actually... Let me whip up paint for a quick sketch of an idea...

Posted Image

When the leather end connects with a wall, the bbs all have nowhere to go but rip through the cardboard pores & tissue paper, exploding nearly everywhere.
Newbie... But one that uses the search button ^_^

#84 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 09:42 PM

No.

A) Not re-usable. Each and every time, you would need new tissue paper.

B ) Unless you're planning on having the BB's bounce off the wall -- through the leather -- how, exactly, are they getting out the back?

C) Dangerous, if it worked. Shooting a leather sack full of BBs? I don't think so.

While both the effort and thought are noble, I just don't think it's very feasible for our purposes.

EDIT: Did you know that if you do "B )" without a space, you get ;)?

Edited by Flaming Hilt, 12 April 2006 - 09:43 PM.

" Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Mr. Creedy. Beneath this mask there is an idea...
...and ideas are bulletproof. "
V

#85 KnightValor

KnightValor

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 10:06 PM

No.

A) Not re-usable. Each and every time, you would need new tissue paper.

B ) Unless you're planning on having the BB's bounce off the wall -- through the leather -- how, exactly, are they getting out the back?

C) Dangerous, if it worked. Shooting a leather sack full of BBs? I don't think so.

While both the effort and thought are noble, I just don't think it's very feasible for our purposes.

EDIT: Did you know that if you do "B )" without a space, you get ;)?

A. definately a drawback. However, keeping tissue paper in your pocket & making the cardboard end removable could - kind of - solve the problem.
B. The leather hits the wall/ground, forcing the BBs to get out of the suddenly much smaller space, and tearing through the tissue paper.
C. Yeah... This would be very trick to perfect for the purposes of launching... Mostly working on size & the amount of foam (therefore mass & weight) around the BBs to make them still have to explode out the back, but also serve as both a dampening effect of being hit & reducing the force required to launch it, therefore reducing the force when you get hit.

I was thinking making a little mortar could do the trick... Just get some uber spring, a fat pvc tube, a handle for... Er... let me just open paint again (for future reference, this isnot my usual program... just the fastest... ;) )

Posted Image

Edited by KnightValor, 12 April 2006 - 10:07 PM.

#86 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 10:18 PM

Reminds me of when I use my Bloody Massive Cannon for non-Nerf activities. Let's just say that a bag of BBs moving at almost 200fps just kinda hurts. I'm positive that the leather will sting even more...
However, he's running off of the whole "energy is dispersed between each piece flying off the main object" that Indy cars do. Hmm...

I see that spring pushing a ball of leather, foam BBs. and carddboard all of, thirty feet? The displacement required for that spring would be insane. You'd be better off making something out of 2" PVC and a ball valve. Yes, a ball valve.

Well, I didn't accomplish anything that I was going to. Maybe the wekend.

#87 KnightValor

KnightValor

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 10:30 PM

Let's just say that a bag of BBs moving at almost 200fps just kinda hurts. I'm positive that the leather will sting even more...

I see that spring pushing a ball of leather, foam BBs. and carddboard all of, thirty feet? The displacement required for that spring would be insane. You'd be better off making something out of 2" PVC and a ball valve. Yes, a ball valve.

Yeah, it was just something to put on the table.

The actual grenade though, I think I will construct and test out as soon as I find some leather or a good material. As for the launcher, I will only make it if I ever have spare pvc, and will probably use something else entirely instead of buying an uberspring. The rubber tubing that people often use to launch water balloons may work well.

#88 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 05:11 AM

Hmm...never thought about those giant waterbalon launchers. Those things can shoot the couple-pound water balloons pretty decently...

Try something, maybe, softer? That way there will be less resistance when it is crushed, causing it to be crushed at a higher speed, meaning the projectiles within will be moving faster, which all in turn causes farther range and greater spread.

I might have to try one of these with a few things to test out. There'd be some differences to increasse reliability and accuracy of the projectile, however. Great, now I have to finish quite a few things...this won't get done until after next Monday probably...unless I skip that speech I have to write...

For those differences, think either fins, cylinder, or something else which will not roll in a barrel. Also, just drill something like 11/32" holes so that nano Stefans could just be stuffed in there. I dunno. This involves testing, and that's about it.

#89 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 06:28 AM

Yeah, a round projectile will simply spin so you won't be garaunteed that the correct side of the projectile would strike. Also the deflection of the shape wouldn't provide enough pressure to fire more than one dart.

If you want to safely propel darts from a projectile you'll have to look toward either elastic force (of some kind), or a pressurized container as your propulsion source. There's no free lunch when it comes to converting energy. There is not enough mass in the grenade (for safety reasons) to provide enough force to propel the secondary "fragment" darts any faster, or in an opposite direction from the grenade itself.

This would be a heck of alot easier if I understood how to engineer deflection loads because elastic force offers the highest output return at the lowest weights but you need an effective shape. And I haven't figured out how to trigger a rubber snap dome yet. You know, the little half-of-a-rubber-ball domes that you turn inside-out and then set on the floor and they jump.
Using one of those to shoot a dart would work really well but you would need a container that fit it so perfectly that it could hold it in the primed position but when the container hits a wall it deflects enough to release the snapping action.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 13 April 2006 - 06:42 AM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#90 KnightValor

KnightValor

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 07:22 PM

Hmm...never thought about those giant waterbalon launchers. Those things can shoot the couple-pound water balloons pretty decently...

Try something, maybe, softer? That way there will be less resistance when it is crushed, causing it to be crushed at a higher speed, meaning the projectiles within will be moving faster, which all in turn causes farther range and greater spread.

I might have to try one of these with a few things to test out. There'd be some differences to increasse reliability and accuracy of the projectile, however. Great, now I have to finish quite a few things...this won't get done until after next Monday probably...unless I skip that speech I have to write...

For those differences, think either fins, cylinder, or something else which will not roll in a barrel. Also, just drill something like 11/32" holes so that nano Stefans could just be stuffed in there. I dunno. This involves testing, and that's about it.

Anyone ever thought of just using some environmentally safe liquid that can compress alot, shot in a waterballoon??? If like... water mixed with epsom salt or something... did that, it would be pretty much the perfect grenade, and a simply mortar launcher could shoot it out no problem.

Then you'd just need something to hold the mortar angle, some way to easily transport the mortar (a backpack would do if the mortar was sturdy enough), and some markings along how far to pull back that you could use to compare powers.

Come to think of it, a kind of clear plastic protractor that included the average feet of launch per power instead of just angles would make the perfect mortar helper.... The only problems would be inconsistencies and different weights/sizes of grenades.

Edit: I just made a very quick version of my idea... You can make one yourself (if you want) even though it didn't work well, if you wish to try to improve it as well.

Step 1: Get cereal box cardboard, and cut it into around 8-12 strips, each about half an inch wide and somewhere around five inches tall.
Step 2: Make a "fan" with your strips so that they are evenly spaced & connect in one place. Staple/glue/connect them.
Step 3: Pull all the other ends together until they connect as well. Once again, staple/glue/connect them.
Step 4: Grab a peice of paper, and cut a rectangle somewhere around 7x3.5 inches. Curl it around a central point to make a cone, and tape/staple it.
Step 5: Crumple up one or two peices of paper, with some kind of wieght in the center (I used coins). Wrap this in tissue paper to prevent BBs from falling into the cone end.
Step 6: Put a piece of tissue paper into the cereal box end so that it prevents the bbs which you now pour in from falling out in mid-flight. Fold the tissue paper over the top of the BBs to prevent the bbs from entering the cone end.
Step 7: Tape the cone onto the half-sphere, find a target, and hurl it.

What you get in the end is a kind of ice cream cone about two & a half inches wide, three & a half inches tall. It does spray out the back, yes, but hardly.

My ideas to improve this are to replace the cone with another hemisphere of some easily bendable (but heavy) material. Then I am going to try the other end to be an actual hemisphere of some light & sturdy material, and drill holes into the back of it.

This might help spray by itself, but I am thinking we need bigger things projectiles than airsoft bbs... Some 1/3rd inch diameter bouncie balls might do the trick.

Anyway, I'm mostly just testing. Maybe it will work, but as of now I am going to concentrate of perfecting my autamated airsoft cannon. After that, I think I will modify an airsoft mini into a nerf gun with that deoderant clip. :lol:

Edit 2: Okay, I probably won't do that. But I still have an unused mini that may make a cool nerf version of what it was made to do for airsoft... That is, a fully automatic piece of crap.

Edited by KnightValor, 13 April 2006 - 08:31 PM.

#91 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 10:56 PM

I just got a WHOLE bunch of foldable frisbees today (most of which are now available in the Trading section) and they work just as well as Renegade described. Assuming of course they're folded correctly.

I fiddle around with them for about an hour (much to the amusement of my nephew) and figured out that the carrying pouch could be modified to have a drag chute so that you could extend the range of the folded grenade. I'll have to make a trip to the nearest dollar store to buy some parachute army guys and then stitch a chute onto the pouch to give it a try.

#92 GuerillaMan557

GuerillaMan557

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 03:38 PM

Renegade's Barricade Buster works great. You can make one here.

#93 Bomberman

Bomberman

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 03:50 PM

Dude, this is your second, maybe third necro. Read the date. This is from 2 years ago. Read and Think before you post. Just pray that Badger won't explode on you. Did you see his thread? he is majorly pissed off at the moment. May the admins have mercy on your soul.
QUOTE(silentsnipe) View Post

It's not like that. I put lube on it and its the same. Its just stuck. And when I cock it back it goes farther back then usual. Also I push as hard as I can and it wont go back in. I've tried the methods and they wont work. Also pics are up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users