adjustable dart-cutter

2 replies to this topic

#1 davidbowie

davidbowie

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 08:37 PM

Posted Image

I've been thinking about stefan-making lately.

I can never seem to get the ends very square, which is annoying, and can often keep darts from firing at all in the KISS guns.

I also have trouble getting darts to be a uniform length, which is a problem with clips.

So, I made the Bowie Knife. It cuts square ends on the darts, and makes them all the same length, which can be adjusted in 1/4" or so increments. In keeping with my usual design requirements, any idiot can build one in about 20 minutes with normal modding tools and household materials.

Posted Image

The main body of it is a piece of 3/4" PVC with a slit cut in it as you can see in the pic. It has notches on either side of it like a gear shift for the adjusting pin to rest in.

Posted Image

The cutting element is a pair of scissors, which is glued to the PVC.

The stopper is a section of a SSPB barrel, which happens to fit nicely in 3/4" PVC. It also happens to be the section which has a kind of donut in it which reduces down to a small opening, which is a good size for a metal BBQ skewer, which I used for the knockout rod. I drilled a hole slightly smaller than a nail, then pounded and glued it in, completing the stopper.

I think that's about it. It's simple and nothing much, but it gets the job done.
Check out the all-new DBNerf. The source for all your DBNeeds.

#2 Ronster

Ronster

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 09:54 AM

Lookin' great.

But you need a better camera. Those fuzzy pictures hinder the full understandings of your explainations.
-I Nerf, there for I am.

QUOTE(baghead @ Oct 25 2006, 09:55 AM) View Post
Ronster reminded me that I should have warned you all Prepare your Bladder for Imminent Release!!!!

#3 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 10:47 AM

I got the gist of it. I didn't even fully read the thing. Perhaps you need to adjust your monitor's brightness or contrast...

Seriously, DB, you might've misfocused your camera. Mine hates taking detailed photos but loves taking stuff like, on, I dunno, this. It cost me $80 and came with a printer. The printer retails at $180 on its own...mmm...sales...

It also likes nature...

Would the stop really have to be adjustable? Or couldn't there just be a piece of board which is moved from one slot cut into the 3/4" PVC to another slot? I dunno...
"Fear the man with one gun, for he probably knows how to use it."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users