Photo

In Need Of Inspiration

13 replies to this topic

#1 davidbowie

davidbowie

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 08:16 PM

So, I have to make a project for metal shop. Sheet metal forming, torch cutting, and arc welding are the big things it should include. So, basically, something made of metal that's NOT a weapon.

Any Ideas?
Check out the all-new DBNerf. The source for all your DBNeeds.

#2 schoute1587

schoute1587

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 08:32 PM

You should make an ultimate flower of manly steel.
"The Big E"

#3 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts
  • Location:West Michigan, in a basement, chained to a wall, with nothing but a puter and a NiteFinder to keep me busy.

Posted 04 April 2006 - 08:45 PM

I really need to stop posting, but so many people are asking questions!

*picks jaw up off floor*

I think that covers you question nicely...

Best part is, if you make a tree, you can sell it on eBay! That's what Doc did with Rage. I think it hit about 1,000USD...Maybe the buyer of Rage would buy your tree!
"Fear the man with one gun, for he probably knows how to use it."

#4 davidbowie

davidbowie

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 09:00 PM

I could make a dead animal to go in rage's mouth!

I'm hoping you might have more ideas, Gen, given that you have some welding experience.

My previous projects from this class are a galvanized "Loadout Case" which holds the KISS-3 and Tech-Turret plus ammo, and an 6" iron pentagram refrigerator magnet.

#5 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 09:02 PM

Maybe make like a trophy or a golfglub. Or like a sports ball. Like the Vince LOmbardi trophy. Or you can make a football or bascket. MY idea is the SPORTS THEME.
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#6 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts
  • Location:West Michigan, in a basement, chained to a wall, with nothing but a puter and a NiteFinder to keep me busy.

Posted 04 April 2006 - 09:20 PM

Well, more ideas, since you want them, if I don't get suspended for posting like a post-whore, will come. For instance, if I had a picture, I made a 16" tall figurine made out of rectangular steel tubing, two U-bolts, a large nut, and some wire-feed for the mouth and eyes.

You could make a collection of firearms casings. Seriously, just go through yor local shooting range's collection of fired brass. There are some real wildcats (including a few dozen .22 Wildcats and I once found some weird .31 before...) there. A nice little collage or sculpture could be made nicely.

You could try your hand at making a rolled-steel barrel for a Nerf gun, even though it'd be a bitch to get it seamless inside...

If you don't have something yet, a Stefan maker with tubes that hold the FBR and a little lever-cutter for making the blanks all a set length, using a heated tube the length of your darts to straighten the dart blanks, a heated cone for melting the end for a weight, all the little stuff. In fact, I can see all of that in almost one step...

Now I have to start thinking...a bike seat for you bicycle, door handles for your car, cool looking window louvers, a steering wheel, handlebar for a bike, etc.

A display stand for your KISSs, a spud cutter (wait...that might be a weapon), a sight for a spudgun, sights for a Nerf gun.

A mini-oxy-ace torch lookalike (yeah...), a random sculpture, an air tank for an air compressor (really thick sheet steel, no?), a pair of safety glasses, a chess board.

Hmm...now I really have to think...a keyboard case for your puter, a puter case for your computer, a new monitor case (if you have a CRT monitor, that is), a remote-control box for all of your remote-controllers for your T.V., VCR, DVD, receiver, etc., a new mousepad.

A steel ammo box for 3 1/2" 10ga (I have yet to find one out there) shotshells, a magazine for a KISS, a drum mag for a KISS, an engraving of your username as a muzzle brake (I did that with "GP" before...), flags for CTF (mine are 3" O.D., 4ft long, and weigh 40lbs a piece for MidMI).

A suit of armor. Okay, my brain hurts now...

Man, now I'm gonna have to build some of this stuff! Especially that Stefan maker. I already know how it'd work...

Edit: It's funny how that's what I get when my brain is slow. Now everyone is trying to imagine what it's like for me whtn I'm really thinking...

Edited by GeneralPrimevil, 04 April 2006 - 09:26 PM.

"Fear the man with one gun, for he probably knows how to use it."

#7 davidbowie

davidbowie

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 09:29 PM

a new mousepad

I loved that one.

Well, thanks for all the ideas. I think most of those are simple enough that I could make them outside of class. I've been thinking about making display stands or a wall rack for all my homemades for a while now actually.

#8 WratH

WratH

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 05:40 PM

Make a Viking Helmet! (no reference to the football team)
Death be not proud. Though some have called the mighty and dreadful... Thou art not so.

#9 Maverick Master

Maverick Master

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 06:58 PM

You should make a NH logo or trophy or something like that.
Cpt. Brian Scott of UGNS

Under
Ground
Nerf
Squad

Alias Scoped loser (+)
(.)(.) :)

LordofTheRings434
"In a sense, what I'm saying is that you shouldn't waste your time handling your balls. Go for the foamy rods instead."

#10 davidbowie

davidbowie

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 07:22 PM

No, sorry. I'm not going to make anything nerf-related. No trophies or anything either. Anything I make will look pretty bad, so I want to put in some sort of functionality.

#11 CaMbLaM

CaMbLaM

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 10:54 AM

You should make a set of gears. Maybe make each gear look different cut out some of the sheet metal to make symbols on some of the gear.

I don't know how much metal you are allowed to use but a vest made out of inch think sheet metal would be pretty cool. Walk around town with your homemade bulletproof vest, pretty cool.

Also in our shop class we made tool boxs, that was pretty easy and they look all right even if you mess up.

Edited by CaMbLaM, 18 April 2006 - 10:56 AM.

#12 Dan Wask

Dan Wask

• Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 09:30 PM

a penis.
QUOTE (Arcanis @ Apr 9 2005, 12:02 AM)
When I insert a dick, nothing happens.

#13 davidbowie

davidbowie

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 10:07 PM

While I appreciate the input (I'll take that reply to heart, DW), I've already decided. I'm making a mini onager. I'll post it when I'm done.

#14 LordoftheRing434

LordoftheRing434

• Members
  • 565 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 10:24 PM

Genitalia have always been in art, Waskie has a point. I'd call it "flacid repose".

On a more creative note, I'd go for making some sort of complex key. Like the teeth could be in some sort of intricate pattern.
And when he gets to Heaven, to St. Peter he will tell, "One more soldier reporting sir, I've served my time in hell."

"I bluff it. I don't throw my weight around and say I know what I'm doing." ~ Mick Jagger

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users