Sm1500 Repair

Needing help with the air tank

3 replies to this topic

#1 Jangadance

Jangadance

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 14 July 2003 - 07:56 PM

I picked up a busted SM1500 at Saver's, and I've been doing some repairs on it. I thought all that I needed was to fix the pump shaft which was broken, which is taken care of. However, now it seems the air tank has a break in the rear section, right where the pressure release pin comes out. There is a tiny rubber washer that goes around the pin and it doesn't seem to be keeping the air in any more. I took a pic, but I've got a crappy pocket-sized digital camera that doesn't have zoom and gets fuzzy when I move in close. I hope you can see what I'm talking about in the picture.

Posted Image

I'll go try and find some SM1500 internal pics when I'm done here, maybe I can figure it out for myself, but this is the first I've opened up. If you have any tips on what is going on wrong, what broke, how I can fix it, etc, I would much appreciate it. Thanks!!
"The 'dance goes on..."

#2 Zero Talent

Zero Talent

• Contributors
  • 606 posts

Posted 14 July 2003 - 08:14 PM

Wait, so that rubber o-ring/washer (I thought it was an o-ring...?) is just free floating about? Because that smaller plastic tube at the back should have that rubber piece inside it, and be covered to keep that rubber piece there, stopping air from leaking out the back.

If that's the case, you want to recreate those conditions, with plumber's goop and epoxy, and some other piece, whether that be an endcap of sorts (1/2" is too big, I'm strapped for material ideas), or a metal/plastic/vinyl washer. You just want that rubber washer/o-ring sandwiched between materials, to restrict air flow out the back of the valve.

If that's not the case, I hand the ball to someone else.
"'Revere me as hot! All others are not! THIS, I COMMAND!'"
- Death

#3 Jangadance

Jangadance

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 14 July 2003 - 08:22 PM

That's precisely the case, and what I was afraid of. (Oh, yes O-ring not washer. How daft of me!) So, the O-ring is supposed to be housed inside another plastic chamber where it can roll across the pressure release pin as it moves, but keeping its seal on the air tank at the same time? The plastic piece that was supposed to keep it there is gone, so now I guess it comes to brainstorming a way to replace it. Any ideas? I have Plumber's Goop and PVC cement and all that, but my difficulty is keeping the O-ring free running along the pin but static in its position at the rear of the air tank.
"The 'dance goes on..."

#4 Cadmond

Cadmond

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 14 July 2003 - 09:49 PM

my useless, but horribly fun idea! involves .. wait a second, first I need to ask a question. Is the o-ring in a kind of well there, or is it fully exposed? if it's in a well (I haven't looked at an sm1500 for a lonnnnggg time) I think you'd have to go from small tubing, to washer/whatnot If it's exposed (like half) you can use a regular washer, like zero said. But!

I dunno how well the washer will stay with just plumber goo, and .. washer-ness. So! if you wanted to! you could use a support! system! (sorry :huh:)

http://www28.brinkst...0-reinforce.gif
alright folks, copy and paste. Like I said, I dunno.. 3 times, over-complication, but I like it!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users