The Great Debate!

A debate between Megas ans Micros.

17 replies to this topic

#1 Miller Charlie Company

Miller Charlie Company

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 January 2003 - 11:02 AM

Which is better, Megas or Micros? I like the megas a little better than micros. I an now hearing that micros are better. Can anyone realy clarify(sp) too which is better.

MCC

#2 WebbZter

WebbZter

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 05 January 2003 - 12:21 PM

Well personally I like using Mega sized darts (Webbies) because I do not need a ram rod to load them into 1/2" PVC. I am converting to micros though for the following reasons:

1)Micros get more distance due to reduced mass and surface area.
2)Micros are more popular in my clan (with micros I can "return" the darts that my enemy fires at me).

#3 Inlitned1

Inlitned1

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 05 January 2003 - 12:45 PM

Dosen't kinda depend on the gun your using? True you can mod the crap out of a gun so it can shoot eather, but I would have to favor Micros. I say this because of Physics. Your 5 pumps from gun X accelerate the micro to a much greater speed than the megga. Although the meggas will retain their energy for a greater time, the speed advantage of a micro tends to sugest to me that it holds the clear advantage.
Back from the dead
-Shoot first, count bodys later

#4 WebbZter

WebbZter

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 05 January 2003 - 01:28 PM

Well it is easy to make your guns shoot both. Make a PVC coupler breech loading barrel and have two barrels on hand. One is just a piece of 1/2" PVC and the other is a piece of 1/2" PVC with a 9/16" brass barrel glued inside of it and then you can interchange them.

Anyways, the higher velocity of a micro dart makes them more difficult to dodge.

#5 Sacapuntas Cabesa

Sacapuntas Cabesa

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 05 January 2003 - 03:03 PM

We use Megas mostly. This is because they are heavier and thusly fly straighter. Not as fast, but isn't dodging half the fun?
If the world is so unfair, why isn't it ever unfair in my favor?

Dinobot smash!!!

#6 Evil

Evil

Fucking Copout

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 05 January 2003 - 04:57 PM

The LCM is all megas, but it's hard to deny how well (red) micros fire out of 1/2 inch PVC.
2007 Great American GoreFest Champion (Aug. 4, Apoc)

#7 Inlitned1

Inlitned1

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 05 January 2003 - 05:56 PM

But its so dam satisfying to pull of a move that neo couldn't do when dodgeing micros. Besides its really the only thing that I can use seeing as I only tend to use the autos.
Back from the dead
-Shoot first, count bodys later

#8 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 05 January 2003 - 06:36 PM

Micros are superior for two reasons.

1. Because of the lower cross-sectional area, they leave the gun at a greater velocity. It takes less time for your plunger or air tank to fill a 1/2" barrel than a 5/8" barrel.

2. Because of the lower cross-sectional area, they are much more aerodynamic and thus retain their velocity better - resulting in greater distance.

Nothing else is really a factor. Any dart is as heavy as the weight you put in it. Any dart flies straight if you make it straight, center the weight, and make sure it's weighted heavily enough.

#9 Sacapuntas Cabesa

Sacapuntas Cabesa

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 05 January 2003 - 08:04 PM

Micros are superior for two reasons.

1. Because of the lower cross-sectional area, they leave the gun at a greater velocity. It takes less time for your plunger or air tank to fill a 1/2" barrel than a 5/8" barrel.

2. Because of the lower cross-sectional area, they are much more aerodynamic and thus retain their velocity better - resulting in greater distance.

Nothing else is really a factor. Any dart is as heavy as the weight you put in it. Any dart flies straight if you make it straight, center the weight, and make sure it's weighted heavily enough.

Oh yeah?! Well, YOUR MOM HAS A LOWER CROSS-SECTIONAL AREA!
If the world is so unfair, why isn't it ever unfair in my favor?

Dinobot smash!!!

#10 Paradox

Paradox

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 01:11 AM

Ah, can't beat that.

I do like micros. But they just get lost too darn easy and it takes to long to replace them! Mega Stefans from 1/2" PVC is all I need (well, using a 1500 anyway). Extremely cheap and reliable.

I can't think of why I'd use mega nerf-brand darts though.

#11 ItalionStallion

ItalionStallion

• Members
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 01:08 PM

I like micros alot better than megas.First of all the only time i've ever used a mega it got clogged in the barrel of one of my friends guns.And also for some reason they dont get as good as range as the micro stefans.I think it may be because of the size or way they made their megas or the weight, i don't know.Anyway i dont care about megas because all my guns shoot micros.

#12 Zero Talent

Zero Talent

• Contributors
  • 606 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 07:42 PM

I'm a fan of modified micros. But then, that's mainly because I can't find the proper size of brass. We'll see once I get some... At some point.
"'Revere me as hot! All others are not! THIS, I COMMAND!'"
- Death

#13 thewee1

thewee1

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 07:45 PM

I see the to reasons you should think one is bette than the other is what your clan uses and what your gun uses.
Me fail english that's unposible.
Bad spellers of the world untied...

The weeest man of the Lawn Chair Mafia

#14 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 08:06 PM

I see the to reasons you should think one is bette than the other is what your clan uses and what your gun uses.

What your gun uses is whatever you set it up to use, right?

And I've never really understood the 'what your clan uses' argument. I don't care what size dart people are firing at me because I assume that any dart I didn't make myself is crap. Take enough darts to a war for yourself. Assume you'll lose half of them. Mark them such that you can tell at a glance which ones are yours. Get in the practice of picking up your darts during a war when you see them lying around.

I took over 200 darts to Armageddon 2k2 and brought home 40. But I never once had a dart spin out, shank, wobble all over the place, or eject it's weight.

#15 IronRhino

IronRhino

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 07:26 PM

I gotta go with micros. That's the only FBR we have where I live. They go faster than megas I think. And the great thing is that they're so easy to make you can mass produce them so losing ammo isn't an issue.
She never told me she was a mime

Check out Foam Fortress

#16 Vassili

Vassili

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 09 January 2003 - 11:16 PM

I'm a fan of modified micros. But then, that's mainly because I can't find the proper size of brass. We'll see once I get some... At some point.

I could send you brass if you really wanted. I can only get it in 1' sections, but there isn't much of a need to have a longer barrel, except maybe in a homemade with a huge air volume.
Foam Fortress Co-Webmaster

#17 Diablo

Diablo

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 11 January 2003 - 09:00 PM

Since I war with my clan, we get in the habbit of having only a couple people make all the darts, then giving them a couple bucks to use them. Because most of our clan members like micros, our dart makers make micros (except WebbZter, he makes some megas for himself). So, since all our darts are of the same quality, it dosen't matter which ones you pick up off the ground. You just wanna find your type of dart on the ground, and in my clan's case, Micro's are the dart to have.

-Diablo

NHQ Administrator | www.nerfhq.com

#18 Miller Charlie Company

Miller Charlie Company

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 January 2003 - 10:29 PM

Wow! This has gotten a lot more attention then I thought it would. I have recently started to fool around with the micro ands mega debate. I do believe that the micro does get alot more range then a mega. If you sacrafice the lil bit of range and you get more accuarcy from the mega. Like it has been said many time before on this topic, " It is what you are more comfortable with." For now i think that i will stick with the mega dart type, but you never know. Thanks for all the input. It has helped a lot.

MCC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users