Air Gun Stock

Comfortable stock with a double shot

7 replies to this topic

#1 Carrtoon

Carrtoon

• Contributors
  • 289 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 11:04 PM

This will work for any air pump gun. The pics were taken quickly, so they aren't very good, but you'll get the picture.

First, you need to make a stock that fits you right. You want something comfortable and that is a proper distance away from the gun. You don't want to have to hold it like you would hold a firefly, looking down the top rail in an awkward manner. This is what mine looks like:

Posted Image

Now you'll need to splice the tubing going from the pump to the air pressure tank. Fit the splice with a T connector like this:

Posted Image
(for some reason, the big picture won't load)

Next, you need a valve. It can be like the one in the picture, or a different one that works the same way. The valve needs to be connected to the stock. Make sure when you are putting together the cpvc that you are gluing it also. It will blow apart and has! The next thing you need to do is get the air source to come into the stock behind the valve. I drilled a hole right behind the valve and super glued my connector in. Now run the tubing from the T connector to this one. Finally, cap the end of the stock. You want to be able to cut off the large air source when needed:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now you need to find a way to mount this bad boy. I use the big connector shown to hold that endcap. It acts like a ball joint so I can adjust it to where I like it. It works very nice! That's it. All there is to it. Originally I pump my stock at3k 3 times. Now I can pump it ten, turn the valve closed, fire, open the valve, and fire again.

Vid: Firing two consecutive darts
When beauty breaks the spell of pain
The bludgeoned heart shall burst in vain
But not when love be pointed king
And truth shall Thee forever reign

#2 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 11:44 PM

Is the range increased at all due to having more air?
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#3 Carrtoon

Carrtoon

• Contributors
  • 289 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 11:47 PM

I'm not sure, I'll have to get back to you on that. I never thought of using that extra air space for more distance. 10 pumps is an awful lot for one shot...

#4 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 08:29 AM

You could then use a longer barrel since there would be more air. I don't know if more distance would come out of it, though, since the pressure would be the same...

If you increased the pressure, then you would get a faster dart (depending on barrel length) which would result in less time for gravity to affect it within the shorter distances from themuzzle, gaining a longer hangtime, leading to an increased maximum distance, or something like that.

Now if you really wanted more speed with a long barrel, suck all the air out of it, using it to pressurize the reservoir. Hmm, that makes me think...

Anyway, really nice work here. I think I've seen something similar to it before (20oz pop bottle on a singled AT2k by a clan member), but this is much cleaner and more functional since it doubles as a shoulder stock.
"Fear the man with one gun, for he probably knows how to use it."

#5 Carrtoon

Carrtoon

• Contributors
  • 289 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 09:08 AM

Would pumping it 10 times really make for a higher pressure? Wouldn't it just be more effective for arrows? This is just a guess, but I think that would just let more air out, something not needed for a small dart... Correct me if I'm wrong.

The longer barrel would probably be better, though. Have any suggestions? Just try different lengths? Thanks

#6 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 09:24 AM

I have a suggestion, but it involves a lot of guess work. It's caled GGDT, or Gas Gun Design Tool. Normally used for spudguns, I was able to create what I thought was a singled AT3k on it, with a MV of 66 ft/sec and ME of 1.6 ft-lbs. That seemed about right...It was with 20 psi, which also seems about right. PM me for the info to enter if you get GGDT...just Google it.

If you were to up the pressure to 40 psi, then you could use a barrel up to 35 inches with a MV of 106 ft/sec. That is not quite as fast as most homemades, but will be a lot better than any AT3k.

All of that was taken with a .5" barrel and 3/0 micro Stefan.

SuperSoakers work by having a large amount of air released through a long barrel, so...I dunno why that is opposite of what I posted earlier.

#7 Carrtoon

Carrtoon

• Contributors
  • 289 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 11:03 AM

Wow, I didn't think there was that much math in nerf! I was wrong. It amazes me how some of your physics examples come straight from class. Thanks for the help, and I'll definately try that program

#8 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 02:50 PM

I have yet to take anything higher than Geometry, so...

By the way, I sleep in class and my teach doesn't care. I turn in most of my work and shtuff.

That program does everything for you; however, I am working on doing the math myself. Otherwise, every variable outside of what that program factors in I can name, especially certain ones in the environment.

Well, back to trying to make some homemades work and whatnot...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users