Rejected!

colleges?

32 replies to this topic

#26 SpectreX

SpectreX

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 10:49 AM

I was wondering how people are paying for their colleges, especially out of state. Out of state tuition (both public and private) for college seems close to $30,000 a year, which for me is no small sum. I'd gladly go out of state if it weren't for this cost issue. Are people getting scholarships? Loans? Jobs? Since I'm likely to do a double major, finding a job during the school year would seem to defeat the purpose of affording college for me. Places like Stanford and MIT have very strong financial aid programs, but you still leave college with big loans to pay off, which is something that worries me. Maybe this is just the way college goes.

Once you get into your senior year of high school apply for every scholarship you can. Make it your job. Lots of them require essays, but if you think about it at most it'll take you a couple hours to write it, and even if it's only a $500 scholarship, you still just got yourself paid around $250 an hour for the work it took to get it. Thats a much better hourly rate than you'll get from any job you could get as a high school senior. Also the fact that many times you can reuse the same essay for many scholarships, because many of them have very similar essay topics.

There are many web sites that offer help with locating scholarships, and your school's guidance counselor should also be able to help out in that respect.

I did a lot of work and ended up with a ton of scholarships as well as a hefty one from the college I'm going to.

It seems like a pain in the ass to do all the filling out of forms and essay writing, but really it's the best way to earn money for college without getting a loan. I'm not saying you won't have to possibly get loans in addition to the scholarship money, but every scholarship dollar you get is money you don't have to borrow and pay interest on.

#27 Jikman

Jikman

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 02:12 PM

Hey, congrats to everyone who got into the college they applied to!

I got rejected from both MIT and Caltech, but accepted to UC Berkeley.

Anyone in that area please give me a heads up. I am up for some nerf war, perhaps get a couple hippies nerf guns as well >.<
"A casual stroll through a mental asylum shows that faith proves nothing."

-Friedrich Nietzsche

#28 munson20

munson20

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 02:42 PM

That is true, Cornell does have the highest suicide rate, I was there a few years ago with my dad who went there and he showed me a cliff people jumped off when he went there. Very big drop...
In war, one death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic...

I know not what WWIII wil be fought with; however, WWIV will be fought with sticks and stones...

#29 Bad Karma

Bad Karma

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 04:15 PM

Congratulations Ompa!!! I've been excepted in to the University of South Alabama. Which is in Mobile. So...I guess I will become a beach bum like Pinney!

~Da BK
Da BK 02: well...I just wanted to tell you...since your going to be dieing...I 've always hated you...and I mean that
TheTalio: Fuck you...I still love you

#30 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 08:38 PM

Question for you guys; do colleges have problems with keeping nerf guns in your dorm room? because if they do, I'm going to have some issues.

~ompa

#31 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 09:26 PM

I would think it depends on the college, but I know a few people that have Airsoft/Paintball, so shouldn't be a problem unless they're used to break any rules...

#32 Jikman

Jikman

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:46 PM

It's not a problem if they don't know it...

HEHHEE.
"A casual stroll through a mental asylum shows that faith proves nothing."

-Friedrich Nietzsche

#33 Kuhlschrank

Kuhlschrank

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 11:16 PM

Question for you guys; do colleges have problems with keeping nerf guns in your dorm room? because if they do, I'm going to have some issues.

~ompa

I have my nerf guns up here at Lafayette College and test them regularly down my dorms hall. No one gives a shit as long as you don't cause any problems.(i.e. don't shoot anyone who isn't nerfing with you, and or don't go nerfing in a highly trafficked area of campus)
+Kuhlschrank+ of the ~Lawnchair Mafia~

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users