Photo

I'm Not The Type To Ask For Help Often...

SS2 No Holdy-Pressure

11 replies to this topic

#1 baghead

baghead

Cheetos

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 11:01 PM

Alrighty then folks... here's the problem:

I have this shiny new SS2 that I just Finished modding, and It was working great untill recently... it no longer is holding pressure. That's a bad thing. I checked it out and there's no leaks, the air is comming out wher it is supposed to when the gun fires. any suggestions on how to get that good ol diaphram valve working again? Ayudame!

-bags

Just because I can: Here's some purdy pics of the wounded beast:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by baghead, 25 March 2006 - 11:09 PM.

Don't call it a comeback, I never left.

#2 LordoftheRing434

LordoftheRing434

• Members
  • 565 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 11:10 PM

Nice gun.

I have had the same trouble with my RF20 and I found that the o-ring was all dried out. I realize these are two very different guns, but perhaps the same thing is ailing your SS2. My only other conception is that something has fallen out of place, namely an o-ring. That's all I can think of with the symptoms though. Good luck, it'd be a shame to lose a great gun!
And when he gets to Heaven, to St. Peter he will tell, "One more soldier reporting sir, I've served my time in hell."

"I bluff it. I don't throw my weight around and say I know what I'm doing." ~ Mick Jagger

#3 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 11:18 PM

Same thing happened to a friend's.

So that thing uses a diaphragm valve? Hmm...maybe...hmm...I dunno.

Perhaps, there is a weak spot on the membrane? There...hmm...
"Fear the man with one gun, for he probably knows how to use it."

#4 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 11:18 PM

My SS2 has the same problem, and the only way I can get it to fire is to hold the dart in while I'm pumping it. Somehow this lets it hold pressure long enough so I can fire it. It's unwieldly to have to hold the dart every time you pump it, but I don't know how to fix it.

If anyone knows how to fix this, please tell us!! I'm pretty sure that alot of other people have had this same problem, too.

Probably dead by now, or something.

#5 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 11:25 PM

Um the EXACT same thing happened with my splitfire. I realized that when I plugged the pump, the hotglue peeled off, so I oppened it up and re plugged it. My SF was silently releasing air through the barrels before I did this.
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#6 Anothernoob

Anothernoob

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 02:02 AM

My Splitfire does the same. So you resealed the over-pressure release valve in the pump and it stopped the leaking in the barrels? Does that make sense?

#7 TED

TED

In Brightest Prawn, in Darkest Shrimp...

• Administrators
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 02:12 AM

Isn't Bags asking "how to fix it?" and not "do you have the same problem?"
Star Wars can go fuck itself.

#8 fobpawwor

fobpawwor

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 02:23 AM

Hey, I love the paintjob, looks very nice and shiny! But my SS2 still has its tank in good condition, try using some expoxy. But I had a SS2 that I messed up inside the tank so that one has no use. But I love your design!

#9 IronRhino

IronRhino

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 02:42 AM

It's a shame to see such a sexy gun go to waste.

Back in the SS2's heyday, this was a huge problem. If I remember right, the best thing to do was to spray something (I think lube) down the barrel and hope it helps the seal. Chances are you're screwed though, my apologies.
She never told me she was a mime

Check out Foam Fortress

#10 baghead

baghead

Cheetos

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 12:47 PM

Back in the SS2's heyday, this was a huge problem. If I remember right, the best thing to do was to spray something (I think lube) down the barrel and hope it helps the seal. Chances are you're screwed though, my apologies.

Thanks IR, I may have to try that.

Update!:
I have no Idea Why, but I tried Replacing the tubeing, and now it's working!

-bags

Edited by baghead, 26 March 2006 - 12:47 PM.

Don't call it a comeback, I never left.

#11 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 12:48 PM

Rhino's right.

From the "back in the day" crowd, it was to spray WD-40 down and soak that "push" valve surface...that is, before we found out that WD-40 deteriorates plastic and rubber over A LONG PERIOD OF TIME.

(Emphasis was added to the end to calm the newbies who would get in a posting panic, saying, "It's going to eat up your rubber and plastic!!1!!OMG!!". It takes a while before you get the effect of it.)

That said, I'd try Silicone Lube spray on the valve surface (much easier if you have cut the barrel off, but still possible with the barrel on), and do most of what the other SS2 owners have said. Mine is over 4 years running, and it bleeds air when pumping up, but if it's pressurized quickly (i.e. pumped up fast), it 'seals' itself and builds up pressure naturally. I did spray WD-40 / Silicone on the valve surface, though. Still works great on the bottom of my Sawtooth.

Sheeeoot. That's a sweet color job, Bags. I'm stuck with my purple ano Metalcast. Time to get some different topcoat colors.

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#12 NinjZ

NinjZ

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 01:31 PM

I can concur that SS2s seals leak after a while. My friends SS2 does the same thing Piney described above. Not a problem as-long-as the first few pumps are done quickly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users