In Progress

23 replies to this topic

#1 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 11:38 PM

I've been working on my next homemade project, which basically was going to be a pump-action shotty. Like how the SOFAR's purpose was to test my new trigger system, the NEAR is designed to test my tube-clip and pump-action system. While the pump-action system turned out to be a little unwieldy, it works. Although for any other homemades, I will probably attempt to use a combined bolt/plunger system.

Posted Image

Anyways, the highlight of this is the tube-clip, which just needs an expansion spring before it's ready to go. The following pictures are of the prototype tube-clip I made out of spare parts I had lying around.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now, I'll just post all the pictures I have of the pieces that make up the rifle, and yes, I know some of them still have the burrs on them, I just cut some of these pieces and was too lazy to clean them off. Rest assured, they aren't on the shotty anymore.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

\/Continued in next post\/

~ompa

#2 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 11:42 PM

A more final version of the clip:

Posted Image

Posted Image

The part where the bars from the pump attach to the plunger tube:

Posted Image

Posted Image

And, fully assembled in its current state. Don't worry, I haven't given any thought to cosmetics yet, so it won't be quite this hideous.

Posted Image

And now for the videos:

Prototype Tube Clip

A little of everything; trigger, catch, shooting, etc.

Obviously I will make more adjustments in the next few days, but as I now have a fully-functioning rifle, well, yeah.

Expect ranges within a few days, as soon as I get my expansion springs and finish up the nested barrel.

~ompa

Edited by ompa, 24 March 2006 - 11:44 PM.

#3 m15399

m15399

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 11:49 PM

So you pull the handle back, a dart gets pushed into the brass, you pull the handle forward and the brass comes forward? Sounds like it would work... How do you plan to keep the brass coming forward from cutting the dart in half?

Oh yeah, and the videos are broked.

Edited by m15399, 24 March 2006 - 11:50 PM.

#4 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 11:51 PM

Eh? The stefan actually manages to bend into place. I'm pretty sure the video shows it, I only pray to god that the video works. It's worked for my friends, but for some reason it doesn't work for me. The pictures of the prototype clip represent 3 shots of the dart actually moving into place.

The clip works, the only occasional problem is that it'll pinch the corner of the next dart. The dart itself still fires, it just kinda gets annoying when you have some mushed corners on your darts.

Videos are broken? Eff. I was almost sure they were working too... Anyone have any bright ideas?

~ompa

Edited by ompa, 24 March 2006 - 11:52 PM.

#5 murakumo32

murakumo32

• Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 11:56 PM

The videos worked for me.

I take it that thr clip is grav. fed?
Nerfing, now fortified with vitamin C!
-or-
100% Nerf, for 100% pwnage.

Nerf is a neutral weapons dealer. Anyone coughing up the dough can get armed.

and they're made of Foam... which makes them very Nerfy...

#6 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 11:58 PM

I really should explain the whole tube-concept a little better.

Basically, you have a line of darts in a tube above the barrel. There is a spring (not shown, I'll post a picture as soon as I get one) that pushes all the darts backwards and down the ramp. When the brass goes back, the dart basically bends/slides down into the breech, and then the brass moves back forwards to seal the dart in the barrel. Think modified upside-down shotgun-shell loading. Except with a ramp instead of an arm.

~ompa

#7 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 12:31 AM

Awesome.

You have inspired me to make a nerf gun.

#8 Uncle Hammer

Uncle Hammer

• Members
  • 750 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 12:52 AM

It has a real shotgun effect to it with the tube clip. I had always wanted to make a shotgun like clip system. Pretty cool.
Don't mess with Texas cuz its bigger than France, bitch..
QUOTE (Talio)
Catagory 5 hurricanes are the mighty dick of God.  You don't mess with that!  You don't mess with Gods dick!

#9 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 09:08 AM

It's Russian! RUSSIAN! I though you were partiotic, Ompa? :w00t:

Anyway, seriously speaking, the Ruskies do have a shotty which has a pump directly mounted to the barrel with an overbarrel tube mag. It works the same way as the zero breach, with bottom shell ejection, if I remember correctly. So, front handle moves forward, husk falls out, handle moves a bit further forward, new shell falls in, handle moves back, new shell is chambered. The only moving part is the barr There's a pic of it el.here, for some visual reference. You decided to make a back-forward pump movement instead, but still retain the gravity feed with sprung advance. Yep...

Well, nice to see that someone is really making advancements here. Keep up the good work...
"Fear the man with one gun, for he probably knows how to use it."

#10 skiermon

skiermon

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 09:14 AM

Wow, this puts my BnA shotgun mod do shame. :w00t: This thing looks great.
Here's the only thing I can see being a problem:

The stefan actually manages to bend into place

Granted, I'm new to nerfing, but it seems to me that if you're always bending stefans like that, they might wear out quickly/get permanently bent. Maybe using shorter stefans (yours look to be around 2"), say 1 inchers, would eliminate the bend. I'm thinking they'd just sort of fall into the chamber with the brass. Using shorter ammo would also allow you to fit more shots into one clip - you've got a line of five darts in one of your pics, and they seem to fill the clip.

Buy any way you cut it, this is going to be one sick gun. Nice work.

Have you been able to fire it yet? I'd like to see some ranges.

#11 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 10:46 AM

Working on it. Barrel's the last thing I need to worry about, I plan to nest it similar to the way I did with the SOFAR. Right now I'm just doing some extra work on the pump/plunger combination to make sure it doesn't jam on me.

I'll definately try the shorter darts as well.

The thing with the bending darts is that each dart is bent for maybe a second or two, so it's really not THAT bad.

If necessary, I can always put an entirely new clip on the thing anyways; just rip off the top clip and put a gravity fed on.

~ompa

Edited by ompa, 25 March 2006 - 10:47 AM.

#12 Maverick Master

Maverick Master

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 04:17 PM

Ompa your are right up there with Bolt, or at least getting there. Great idea and product. Hope to see more from you in the futuer. Great job, I love the pump action.
Cpt. Brian Scott of UGNS

Under
Ground
Nerf
Squad

Alias Scoped loser (+)
(.)(.) :)

LordofTheRings434
"In a sense, what I'm saying is that you shouldn't waste your time handling your balls. Go for the foamy rods instead."

#13 Ronster

Ronster

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 07:29 PM

So, in order to reload, do you have to remove the clip entirely from the gun?
-I Nerf, there for I am.

QUOTE(baghead @ Oct 25 2006, 09:55 AM) View Post
Ronster reminded me that I should have warned you all Prepare your Bladder for Imminent Release!!!!

#14 NirvanaScorpion

NirvanaScorpion

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 07:38 PM

The videos worked, great job, its a pretty beautiful thing :lol:
"If rock n rolls illegal throw my a** in jail" - Kurt Cobain

Guitar Heroes-Jimmy Paige, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, Kurt Cobain

Newly Found(thanks General)-Yngwie Malmstein, this guy is an accoustic expert.

#15 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 08:53 PM

Ronster, no, you just push the darts back in. It's a work in progress, and I had a slight mishap with the catch. I just spent the entire weekend figuring out what's wrong, and it's now working wonderfully. I've made a few adjustments to the clip and all, but now that a school week is starting, it'll probably be around Saturday before I'm done with everything, including the clip and barrel.

And I'm nowhere near Bolt, at least not for another 3 years or so.

~ompa

#16 Denaeron 12

Denaeron 12

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 09:52 PM

It looks nice, ompa.
And the 2nd video is still kinda screwed up, at least for me.
Official Leader of the Nonsense Brigade
Yes, I'm the Cliff Claven of the Internet.

#17 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 08:03 PM

The tube clip is at this point trashed; even small differences in dart length result in a very... interesting type of jam. A better ramp and system for moving the darts might work, but for the effort, I'm not quite sure if its worth it.

Anyways, I'm switching back to my normal clips, except upside down. Some prelimiary testing suggests around 75', but I haven't gotten around to getting exact ranges, partially because its raining, and partially because I somehow screwed up my left arm, and pumping the gun sends some interesting jolts of pain up my arm. So I'm taking a break from using the NEAR for a few days while my arm recovers, to avoid any... problematic situations. However, the pump and bolt are all functional, I just need to glue the couplers that hold the clip in place and go test it.

In the meantime, I'll get started on my next project, which doesn't require me pumping anything with my left hand/arm.

~ompa

#18 boltsniper

boltsniper

• Contributors
  • 591 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 11:04 AM

Sorry to hear about your arm. Thats no good. I`m also sorry to see the tube mag get back burnered. I guess finding a suitable spring for that application would be pretty tough. What about some kind of air feed system like Carttoon was using for his BBB. That could work but would be hard to dial in right and very hard to make reliable.

Are you going to shelf the whole gun and start anew, or replace the tube mag with a box mag?

#19 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 06:01 PM

Replace it with a box mag. And I'm not complaining at all about the result.

Shooting down a 60' room (tape-measured, but since I'm standing at the wall, probably around 3 feet less, so shooting around 57'), The dart hits the wall with no noticible drop. So, I'm expecting around 70-80', I'll get around to testing it once it's not so damn windy out. The good thing about this clip is that if it ever jams, all I have to do is re-pump quickly. It's actually in the video, I think the second dart quasi-jams, and it only takes a second to get it to reload. You can tell when it jams, because it's harder to push the pump back to its normal place. The video also shows me loading the clip, with a paper clip through the sides so the darts don't come out while I'm loading it.

Video

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thus far I'm extremely pleased with the result, and all that is left to do is some aesthetic touches. If I end up attending some east-coast wars, I'll definately be using this gun.

~ompa

#20 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 07:05 PM

That...was...awesome...

Definitely congrats on a job well done.

Aesthetic touches being...paint? Maybe some carving here or there?
"Fear the man with one gun, for he probably knows how to use it."

#21 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 07:08 PM

Bondo the pump area to make it more grip-friendly, and adding a pvc pipe to cover the flying brass piece so it doesn't rip out a portion of my cheek. And re-doing the stock, I actually just glued it on there for picture and vid purposes. I plan to actually fit it when I glue it on for real.

~ompa

#22 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 09:28 PM

Man, you need to rename this...it isn't the NEAR, it's the SOSCAR. Nicely done.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#23 fobpawwor

fobpawwor

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 09:44 PM

Wow! Nice job. I love you it sounds when you pump and fire in the video. It makes it sound almost real. Also love the idea where you can quick pump twice, just incase it gets stuck. Nice homemade gun!

#24 Gyrvalcon

Gyrvalcon

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 07:05 PM

Ompa, that is one inspiring weapon you have created. With the tube clip it has more than a passing resemblance to the M90 shotgun from Halo, and it's a shame that that didn't work out. I plan on doing something similiar, but possibly with an injector to help the dart into the chamber.

Again, Beautiful work.
-Knowledge Is Power-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users