Jump to content


Making A Homemade

3 replies to this topic

#1 schoute1587



  • Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 09:50 PM

I know I just posted something recently but I did a search on air tanks and all i got was different things people have used for a tank. My question is that when you pump a homemade nerf gun where does the air go? It can't go straight to the ball valve. I'm sorry for the question but all this techincal talk confuses me. So could someone break in down into english so i can learn how to build homemades?
  • 0
"The Big E"

#2 CaptainSlug


    Resident Mad Scientist

  • Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 09:57 PM

You're pumping into a holding tank (bladder) which, after having been pressurized to an effective level is released by a trigger valve to fire the dart.
Obviously your pump will need a one-way valve so that your pumping action only adds air to the tank.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 20 March 2006 - 09:58 PM.

  • 0
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#3 m15399



  • Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 09:57 PM

It goes into a tank that holds the air pressure. You use a pump that takes in air from the outside world, and pushes it into a peice of pipe. That peice of pipe is called the pressure chamber. The more air you have, the more it pushes against the sides of the pipe. That means when there is an opening (ball valve), the air is able to break free and rush out the valve.

Edit: you beat me

You're pumping into a holding tank (bladder)

There are VERY FEW homemades that use a bladder. Most just use a solid tank.

Edited by m15399, 20 March 2006 - 09:59 PM.

  • 0

#4 CustomSnake202



  • Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 09:58 PM

Everything before the ball valve is considered to be the air tank. If you take a look at the Zero's generic ball valve homemade, you can see what I'm talking about:
Posted Image

That "U" shape, along with the handle that connects both the top and bottom, before the valve is where the air pressure is held. Once the valve is turned, all the air pushes out of the barrel. Its really that simple. Same thing goes with other large airtanks that people use for their homemades; all space behind the valve is where your air is held.
  • 0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users