Photo

SharpShooter II Nested Brass

17 replies to this topic

#1 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 10 July 2003 - 02:44 AM

Since I used it at Armageddon I thought it was time for some range testing and a proper writeup. 60' avg flat isn't too shabby for a spring pistol with a stock power supply.

Enjoy.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#2 Mantis

Mantis

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 10 July 2003 - 09:48 AM

I might try this. But CXWQ, I'm gonna never trust you again if this doesnt go as far as you say.
Personal LCM Summer Tune-Up Stats:
K:H=1.00
Shots Fired: 2.1 x 10^4
Fun had: 97%

#3 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 10 July 2003 - 10:35 AM

/yawn/

When have my ranges ever been non-repeatable?

Usually my mod writeups are immediately followed by:

Someone who performs them, thinks best-out-of-10 at a 5 degree angle is the same as ``mean parallel to ground'' and reports that they got 15' more than I did.

Someone who neglects to mention that they substituted 10" of copper for 4" of nested brass and says they tried my mod and it's ass.

Someone who immediately complains that my mod is far too difficult and posts a long-ass thread describing how they ripped the barrel out of their gun (while it's still closed up, usually) and crammed some CPVC in there to get similar results. Of course they use the same measuring strategy as the first guy.

And a dozen typically competent people who duplicate the mod and get exactly the same results. They don't often post about it but I tend to get shot by them at YANO/Armageddon. Makes me rethink this whole detailed mod writeup business... <g>

#4 Vassili

Vassili

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 10 July 2003 - 12:04 PM

I can easily believe that his gets 60 feet, the SSII I did for IronRhino gets an average of 67 feet flat, but that is with a replaced spring.
Foam Fortress Co-Webmaster

#5 neonerfer

neonerfer

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 10 July 2003 - 03:51 PM

I've seen Kevin's gun in action. It most definately gets 60 feet flat.
"Do not question that which is. Question that which will never be."

#6 Mantis

Mantis

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 10 July 2003 - 03:57 PM

I think this has been debated before, but you guys must have thinner air out there or something. I just cant imagine my Sharpshooter 2, that gets around 15 feet with a bungee, can make 60' a reality.

#7 SniperWolf

SniperWolf

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 10 July 2003 - 04:03 PM

when I get my SSII i'm going to leave the barell switcher on and put 1/2" X 6" copper repair coupling (this shoot stock micros) in the bottom barell and a 1/2" X 6" brass barell in the top. This way I can shoot pretty much whatever I find on the battlefield.
My children...They beat me...

...with sticks and buckets.

My wife...she is hairy...

...like sasquatch.

#8 Zero Talent

Zero Talent

• Contributors
  • 606 posts

Posted 10 July 2003 - 08:06 PM

I think this has been debated before, but you guys must have thinner air out there or something. I just cant imagine my Sharpshooter 2, that gets around 15 feet with a bungee, can make 60' a reality.

If it's that extreme, I'm guessing the plunger in there isn't as air-efficient as you'd like. Curl back the lip of the plunger (the rubber cup), apply some White Grease (Or vegetable oil, I hear) around the inside of the tube, and the rubber plunger, then ensure everything else is in order (fully sealed barrel, for example).
That's usually the case with guns that get crappy ranges with huge drawstrengths. It was with my Big Bad Bow too.
And remember, barrel mods help things a suprising lot. If you don't have an alternate barrel on that thing, you're missing a lot of range.
"'Revere me as hot! All others are not! THIS, I COMMAND!'"
- Death

#9 Spoon

Spoon

Meh.

• Founders
  • 560 posts

Posted 10 July 2003 - 08:42 PM

I'll also vouch for Cxwq's SSII. I got shot in the ass with it a couple times at Armageddon, it's quite powerful. Farthest shooting SSII I've seen yet.
Two roads converged in the woods, and I took the one less traveled......and now I don't know where the hell I am.

#10 Mantis

Mantis

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 10 July 2003 - 10:02 PM

If it's that extreme, I'm guessing the plunger in there isn't as air-efficient as you'd like. Curl back the lip of the plunger (the rubber cup), apply some White Grease (Or vegetable oil, I hear) around the inside of the tube, and the rubber plunger, then ensure everything else is in order (fully sealed barrel, for example).
That's usually the case with guns that get crappy ranges with huge drawstrengths. It was with my Big Bad Bow too.
And remember, barrel mods help things a suprising lot. If you don't have an alternate barrel on that thing, you're missing a lot of range.

Uhhh, yeah....I think I'm gonna leave it the way it is. It has a primitive feeling to it that helps me kill people with 1500's.
Might need a good lube job though.

#11 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 10 July 2003 - 10:18 PM

Wrong forum but still on-topic...

If anyone has a relatively stock SSII in good shape that they'd be willing to part with, I'd be interested in a trade or purchase arrangement.

#12 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 11 July 2003 - 01:07 AM

This is kind of odd and off topic, but I noticed something. With a few exceptions (Uruk-Hai Crossbow and the MaxShot) the guns cx's been modding and posting are about the same ones I either had modded or recently acquired. Hmm.

I got from my nephew here on the island an Expand-a-Blast (which I promptly modded with SCH80, thanks for the mod), and a Sharp Shooter II. Both guns were well played with, and the EAB had a broken plunger shaft. The SSII had the internal plastic retaining parts (near the trigger) broken/ worn. But the plunger and shaft were in great shape. So I swapped the SSII plunger shaft, put the EAB rubber cup, retainer, and spring onto the plunger, and presto! Like new modded EAB! Perfect fit! Gave it back to my nephew so he could plug his dad from 70 feet, easy. Now my brother-in-law wants a modded nerf gun.

Now I have a SSII with busted up internal ribbing/ reinforcing near the trigger assembly, and a broken EAB shaft...hence my interest in the "plunger" thread in modifications. I don't know if there's any hope for it, and I've been concentrating what little spare time I've got on my SM5000 (rebarreling it), and trying to get a darn Max Shot or 5 here (never even SAW one yet... :( ), if you're interested in it I'll give it to you for a song...shipping from HI? PM me.

EDIT; p.s...hey! I don't have any PETG here! (hint :) )
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#13 Spoon

Spoon

Meh.

• Founders
  • 560 posts

Posted 11 July 2003 - 08:51 PM

Pineapple:

The incredibly weak spring containment walls are the SSII's most commen source of failure. I've had to deal with them a lot in the past, the best way to fix it is to carefully drill two screws through the casing of the gun right behind the spring containment walls, just a slight bit farther apart than the plunger shaft. The screws will hold the spring perfectly as long as they're not too far apart. Although if you've already given away your plunger shaft, that might not help much, heh.
Two roads converged in the woods, and I took the one less traveled......and now I don't know where the hell I am.

#14 LiKnSmAkScOmIn

LiKnSmAkScOmIn

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 13 July 2003 - 10:09 PM

quick question-if you decide to keep the switcher piece on, can you continue the mod by just adding another brass barrel to the bottom or will it have to be a little different due to the valve being infront of the plunger tube?
Morons With Guns own you.

#15 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 14 July 2003 - 01:25 PM

The incredibly weak spring containment walls are the SSII's most commen source of failure. I've had to deal with them a lot in the past, the best way to fix it is to carefully drill two screws through the casing of the gun right behind the spring containment walls, just a slight bit farther apart than the plunger shaft. The screws will hold the spring perfectly as long as they're not too far apart. Although if you've already given away your plunger shaft, that might not help much, heh.

Hey, thanks for the tip, Spoon.

If cx isn't interested in it, I'll look it over and give it a shot, and then I'll need to figure how to replace the darned plunger shaft. The old EAB shaft is in three pieces, I'll try to pull some measurements/ dimensions and figure how to fabricate this...maybe brass square tubing? Hmmm.

*puts down SM5000 with no barrel*
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#16 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 14 July 2003 - 01:30 PM

I'd like to find one in good condition, thanks for the offer though.

#17 Kirby

Kirby

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 02:55 PM

I've single-barreled a SSII with pvc and a crayola barrel with very similar results, but the mod was geared more towards range than accuracy, as it gets 65 ft. on average, but accuracy stinky.

#18 Nerf929

Nerf929

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 06:43 PM

I have an unmodded SSII. Great condition. It's all stock except the ammo holder and the stickers have been removed. I have been thinking about modding it or trading for it. If you're interested PM me.
The Boy Who Ate Fire
by: Adam (Me)

Once there was a boy who ate fire. He died.
The End

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users